“Good performance but very unconfortable”

Cirque d'Hiver Bouglione
Ranked #10 of 259 Concerts & Shows in Paris
More attraction details
Owner description: A small cast of magicians, clowns, trapeze artists and acrobats delight children with their imaginative acts in this 150-year-old amphitheater built during the reign of Napolean III.
Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

The perfromance is great and the environment is stunning. My 8 year old son loved it. I was really angry because in their program the recommended several Metro stations and we jumped of on Oberkampf and by that missed the tigers. There is only one station which is situated just in front of the Circus.

There was no problem arriving late though but when we were shown out rather expensive seats some people behind us had put their feets and shoes on out seat (?!) but the staff did not kick them out and did not show us any other "clean" seats. We changed seats after 10 minutes because the idiots behind us had their feets on the seats beside us. The leg space was very small if you are over 1.80 cm tall and the air really bad after 40 minutes.

But it was a professional show in a worn out romantic space.

1  Thank Daniel J

Reviewed December 27, 2012

We missed the tigers so cannot comment on the animal treatment, all in all the rest of the animal acts were so so. The clown is hugely entertaining and perfect for kids - 6-12 years. Some of the costumes and acts were fairly suggestive and risque. In fact one act was purely pole dancing. If that is something you do not wish to be exposed to - avoid.

1  Thank LancashireWilltravel
Reviewed December 21, 2012

I had read about the Cirque d'Hiver in Paris to the Moon, a witty and charming book of essays about a writer's experience raising a child in Paris. Then we went to Paris with a friend and her 2 year old son and were surprised to discover Cirque d'Hiver at the end of our street. The address is very misleading. It is at Metro stop Filles du Calvaire on # 3 just one stop past Republique in the heart of the Marais.
For North Americans who never see real circuses any more, this was such an amazing experience. I would recommend it not just for people traveling with children. Very evocative of Impressionist paintings by Degas. A crowning delight at the end of a lovely trip to Paris.

1  Thank happytraveler154943
Reviewed November 12, 2012

It is worth getting tickets for this splendid circus. From the clowns to the tigers and the acrobats in between, it is great entertainment very professionally performed.

1  Thank BrandonDublinIreland
Reviewed March 4, 2012

The show "Virtuose" had some good surprises such as an act with cats and the always-good-acts of the Flying Neves (flying trapeze) and Trio Laruss (golden statue). The circus is very close to a metro station (Filles du Calvaire, line 8) and there are plenty of restaurants nearby to have dinner after the show. The circus orchestra is also nice. The bad things: a HORRIBLE act with tigers (they didn't obey therefore the tamer was always moody with the audience and angry with the animals. By the way I have friends who went to the show on another dates and told me that the same thing happened when they were there!) and the show was a bit too long (I don't know why they had two trapeze acts and two juggling acts - one of each would be enough!) Besides, the woman who showed us our seats was extremely rude and wanted to put us in a bad place. As I showed her my tickets she started shouting at me which was awful. There is also a horse act that was nothing but 3 horses running and/or walking. The women who ride the horses belong to the Bouglione family and it is clear that they just wanted their 15min of fame because they don't do ANYTHING in the act, it's such a waste of time and you can hear the audience laughing or complaining about it. Also, the clown (Fumagalli) was spitting quite often in the audience which I found disgusting and quite offensive. All in all it's a nice circus located in a nice building but some things must improve!

7  Thank Maritje