“Has a good photographer and a lot of nerve”
Review of Hotel Beaubourg

Hotel Beaubourg
Ranked #432 of 1,800 Hotels in Paris
Istanbul, Turkey
“Has a good photographer and a lot of nerve”
Reviewed December 9, 2012

This is going to be long, because I sense that the owner will add a reply here, and I dont want to miss any detail to regret not having written it and I want to forget this hotel forever asap: I booked a double room at this hotel using one of the online booking agencies for a one night stay in November 2012. (not any inferior room class, simply a standard double room) The reviews were very good, the pictures looked lovely, I believed I found a gem after a considerable online search. The reception gave me key to the room 16, told me the elevator is out of order and described me the way to the room, which happened to be at the rear building or rear side of the building. To go to the room I had to pass through a sad, narrow, winding corridor, open a heavy door to the really narrow stairs, find the light switch, walk up the stairs (dragging my suitcase since no help was offered), open another heavy door, find myself in a literally one and a half squaremetre dark space that had three doors: one to room 16, one the elevator of the rear side, one to another room. From the reception until the room, there were no windows, no people around, it was very depressing. (and i would be more scared if i came across anybody in those really confined box of spaces) The room -although the management claimed otherwise- looked really small, not like the 14 sqm promised. (I didnt have any measuring device but the hotel I stayed the next night said my room was 14 sqm and it was considerably larger than this one) Its window looked to a small gloomy space between walls of buildings. I had to turn on the lights to see around at 4 pm. The room was not decorated like the colourful pictures in the booking site, although it was normally acceptable. (Later the management claimed this room also had a picture on the web: i checked later, yes, one of the 20 something thumbnail sized pictures looked like this room while the others were all cheery and larger- it looked much bigger in that picture anyway, so I am not sure if it is the same room or a bigger room with similar decoration). Anyhow, all that disappointment comparing the promise versus reality aside, the main problem was, as a solo female traveller, I would never feel secure at that exile of a room that was accessed through such a nightmare of a walk from the reception. It was disconnected from the rest of the world, with probably noone to hear you scream except perhaps the only room next door. I felt deceived and went back to the reception, asking them to change my room. "All other rooms are occupied, sorry. There is only one, but if you did not like this, you would not like that one either", the kind receptionist said. I said "anything that has a window to the street is fine". So that other room was in the front building but after 5 floors of elevator, you had to push a heavy door to climb the stairs to the roof, pass by the elevator machinery door and see that lonely attic room whose only window to the street was accessible by crawling because of the heavily inclined roof. And yet again, it was depressing being on a floor with no other living soul. So I went back to the reception and said "look, dont you have any of the normal rooms at the front building and looks like those on the website?". The answer was no, so I said "sorry, I want to check out and demand you return my 139 Euros for the night, because you cannot give me what is promised and all aside, I cannot possibly sleep alone peacefully in the rooms you offered.". The receptionist gave me one useful tip I will never forget next time I pay 139 euros per night for a 3-star hotel: "for customers who state in the reservations that they are claustrophobic or allergic, we arrange a room accordingly." (!) I notified the receptionist I would be taking photos on my way back to the room to take my luggage back. Then I checked out, but the receptionist told me "the manager is not here until Monday, he is the one to decide if we can pay your money back." (again, the kind of professionalism you would expect from a 3-star (!)) I called the online booking agency, they called the hotel to get the same answers and they advised I made to to receive my bill so they could talk to the manager/owner on Monday. I left, and found another place very closeby for a similar price with impeccable professionalism, 4 stars and a room with double the size looking over a busy square with a fountain. Next week I sent the online booking agency the photos as well as the video I took through the walk-of-shame from the reception to the room. They talked to the manager several times who denied returning my money on the grounds that "the room size was 14 sqm" (which I seriously doubt) "they offered me another room" (not a proper one), and finally "the picture of that room was also on the website" (a larger room with a resemblance of this one" as if that was all that mattered. Not the owner nor the booking agency responded to my main complaint: Is this a proper access way to a room? What makes the other customers that enjoy the proper rooms in the front building more valued than me? Does it mean nothing that the only elevator was out of order? Is this really a 3-star hotel? Or is only the front building a 3-star? I have asked the booking agency to at least demand from this hotel to differentiate between the rooms in the front and the rear buildings but alas, they say they cannot interfere with the content the hotels puts on their site. I frequently book online and -after going through the reviews here and there- never had any surprises so far. I stayed in bad hotels in the past, but they had not claimed to be any better than what they are and their price/value was right. I had a similar experience of a nightmare-ish room in Rome two years ago but they immediately apologized and returned my payment. This is the first time (and hopefully the last) that I bump into a hotel with such nerve to do all this. The pictures I am posting will not do the justice this but I am not sure if I can post a video here: Available on request! The only positive point at this place was the kindness of the receptionist. He also told me that this region of Paris is the oldest and the buildings are usually like that and their elevators frequently go out of order but get fixed, too. (Like I care!) Anyway, if you plan to stay at this hotel, make sure you state in your reservation that you are claustrophobic, that the room is the front building and in one of the proper floors. I totally question how those stars are assigned.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank ffezas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 4, 2012

If you are looking for a mid-priced hotel close to the museums and the cafe/bar scene around the Marais - then this is it. Great location and the rooms are clean and comfortable. Lots of restaurants within walking distance so you don't need a taxi. Friendly and helpful staff. Will return soon.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Hagley, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 8, 2012

This hotel really is a hidden little gem. It is only a small hotel, but it is in a great location, the rooms are a decent size and the staff are very friendly. We didn't take advantage of breakfast but the environment looked lovely.

The rooms are well equipped, although perhaps a little twee for some tastes - it didn't bother us. We like a fair sized room (tick), a big bed (tick) and cleanliness (tick again). As for locat you are right next to George Pompidou centre, Chatelet Les Halles station (easy cheap access to CDG airport). Plus the Marais is FULL of gorgeous little bistros and shops.

Somwhynnot 5 stars...... The TV in the room only had one English Channel and that kept going funny, no tea or coffee facilities in the room and fairly average toiletries. Minor items that didn't ruin our stay. Definite recommend.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Glenrothes, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This hotel, although in a side street which looks a bit shabby, is excellent. Rooms are well furnished, clean and comfortable. Our towels were changed daily as was our bed linen.We were room only but bought breakfast each day for £9.50. It seems dear but there was cereal, fruit juice, fruit salad, cheese, yoghurt, crusty bread,butter and selection of jams,croissant and a pain au chocolat, served with either tea or coffee. Staff were very helpful and pleasant.It is near to the Pompidou Centre and easy walking to the river and the sights. A metro is also close by.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Mytischi
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Excellent hotel for a short stay. Wonderful location (two steps to Centre Pompidou and 5 minutes by feet to Notre Dame), reasonable price. Hotel is very clean and cosy. There are many tasty bresseries around the hotel.
The only minus - internet almost doesn't work.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
HotelBeaubourg, Propriétaire at Hotel Beaubourg, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear guest

We are happy that you enjoy your stay in our hotel, & we are really sorry that you get problem with our internet connection, in this period that you came, we get some guests from the hotel was downloading movies & game during the all week that you was here, we try to explain to peoples that there are not alone on the connection but they don t care , we see this on our logging page after other guest complain & now we fix it to get better balance between connection

we hope to see you in our hotel during your next trip in Paris

Best Regards
calgary
Reviewed November 4, 2012

The hotel has a terrific location, friendly, helpful staff, nicely furnished rooms. But it failed to deliver the free WiFi promised for each room. For our entire six-day stay we had connection problems, which the staff addressed daily by rebooting the obviously inferior system. Other tenants were also forced to bring their laptops to the front lobby, where there was one "sweet spot" at two armchairs. We had a very important skype call to arrange, and the staff managed to get us some special connection that made it work. But otherwise the hotel just couldn't keep their promise of wi-fi in every room. In this day and age this is unacceptable. They have to stop advertising that service--or get a new, adequate system. The staff tried but the system undermined them.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank calgarymaurice
Dear guests

I am really sorry about what happening with our internet connection, as you say we do our maximum to clarify the situation for you to get a good internet access , after looking to our log page on our system we saw that peoples from the same spot wifi in the hotel was downloading movies & game during the all week , we try to make them stop , but people doesn t respect & don t think that there s other people on the connection, & i feel this problem cause in the lobby wich is independant wifi & in our cafeteria the system was working perfectly , that why we propose you to come downstairs to get a proper connection , now the problem is solve

we hope to see you again for your next trip in Paris

best regards
Shropshire, almost Wales
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Excellent location, near to the Centre Pompidou, allowing us to walk almost every where. Within easy reach of many of the main attractions. Helpful evening staff suggested good local restaurants. Spotless room and bathroom and we found the soundproofing good.

Room Tip: Superior double gives you the space you need. The suite has a little outside sittung area if the we...