“disappointed”
Review of Hotel Clauzel

Hotel Clauzel
Ranked #1,568 of 1,809 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I have never done a review before but feel obliged to forewarn people of what they are getting into before booking this hotel. We stayed at Hotel Clauzel for two nights this past week and were sorely disappointed. I think saying it is a two star hotel is pushing it - it is closer to a 1.5 star. I am not picky but this was not an enjoyable experience at all. The hotel room we received, room 11, was unclean and was not even close to the pictures on the Expedia or hotel websites. We arrived as three adults and when we entered the room I immediately asked for the bathroom to be recleaned - i have never done this before- as there was hair all over the shower. I opened the bathroom window for airflow and it was falling out of the wall, hanging only by one hinge and i was worried a 40 lb window was going to fall on us when we were in the bathroom so i had to keep it closed. The lack of air conditioning was stifling but we could only rarely open the other windows as the diesel fumes from the cars and the noise from people and cars all night was purely awful. The walls had patch jobs on them that looked shoddy, the rug was peeling up off the floor and was dirty, and the bathroom was very poorly redone. There was no hot water in the mornings for the shower though as a positive the water pressure was good. I would never recommend this hotel to anyone, but the location was excellent! The street it is on is full of specialty shops and good places to eat; it is close to the train stations and fairly close to the Metro. The front desk staff were semi-friendly, but we just about missed our pre-scheduled taxi ride to the airport as they told the cabbie we did not book a cab when he arrived!! This would have been disasterous as we were traveling with bike boxes and luggage. Why they chose to do this i will never know, but i am glad i did not miss my flight. Again, please know that this hotel is nothing like its pictures and is not a good choice whatsoever. I base this on years of experience travelling through Europe numerous times and never had i complained about a hotel before.

Room Tip: Not worth your money
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank teacher35

Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

Friendly staff greeted us which was nice! Spiral stairwell and building had character. Room space was tight but had everything we need. Located a 40min walk from central Paris but trains near by. Lovely wee street with lots of eateries, supermarket, bakery etc. Bathroom clean and fresh.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed June 24, 2013

The hotel is average but a typical Parisian 2 star hotel. Its main plus point is the good location very close to Montmartre and the Opera areas. The area is full of bakeries, restaurants and cafes. Still recommend their buffet breakfast which is good value compared to the prices in nearby cafes.
As others have written, the lift is very small and the wifi connection is horrible.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Pro:
Good price, good location: sights,shops,restaurants,bakeries,cafes helpfull staff with good english, clean room.
Contra:
Noisy, poor wifi connection, some electical plug-ins didn't work.

We loved staying there, I recommend it!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed June 3, 2013

The hotel has a good location (Rue de Martyrs) at Montmatre. The staff was very friendly. Our Standard-Room was very small, especially the bath-room. The door of the shower-cabine was defect, but we complained it at the reception, and after a short time the door was repaired. The elevator is very very small and the staircase dark. But the breakfast-room was nice and renovated. The breakfast was typical french: Croissants, marmelade, butter and toast. No sausage or eggs etc. From outside it is very noisy, because the traffic goes night and day. Although we've heard very often the slamming of doors inside. In his case, a renovation would be very effective. We've used in every hotel earplugs. So the noise was for us not really a problem. But generally we've had a very pleasant stay at Hotel Clauzel. It is (for Paris) a relative cheap hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I have been to Paris twice before, and stayed in basic but clean hotels. I wasn't expecting much from Hotel Clauzel to be honest; I assumed as it is a two-star hotel it would be very basic, but clean one would hope.

Boy, was I wrong.

Basic just doesn't even cut it; dirty is the understatement of the year.

We arrived at Hotel Clauzel after a 15 minute or-so walk from Gare du Nord, which is pretty good in my opinion. Despite pouring with rain, the neighbourhood looked really interesting and lively, and you can see the Sacre Coeur from the hotel.

On entering the hotel, our jaws dropped. Whilst the reception area was fairly clean and tidy, the whole place stank of stale cigarettes, and there was masking tape and paper all up the stairs.

My husband had to go alone in the coffin-like lift with our luggage as we couldn't both fit in there, and I walked up the stairs - the hallway was dingy, dark and incredibly dirty, with stains all up the walls. I walked to our room on the 3rd floor, up the windy staircase, trying not to be too judgmental and hoping our room would at least be clean.

When I reached the 3rd floor, I discovered our room was tucked down a tiny passageway (our suitcase JUST about fit through), which was pitch black and the light was on a timer, which is not particularly helpful.

We got through into our room, and had the shock of our lives - the room was TINY, with no wardrobe, just a few hangers against the dirty, mould-covered wall, and a few drawers, which I chose not to put my things in (I decided it would be cleaner to leave them in my suitcase!!).
The bed, which was meant to be a double, just looked like a slightly larger single, and covered by a grubby-looking blanket. (More on the bed later.)

The bathroom STANK, and there was dirt in the bottom of the shower, the toilet seat was cracked, and it was just generally dirty and mouldy - to be honest it looked like both the room & bathroom hadn't been cleaned since the previous occupants.

The floor in the bedroom was also covered with bits and pieces, so I thought it would be best not to walk barefoot on the floor!

Anyway, we thought we wouldn't complain but try and make the best of the bad situation as the rest of the hotel didn't look any better! ! !

Upon returning from a nice afternoon & evening out in Paris, (we weren't really looking forward to coming back!) I decided to check the bed. I noticed things under the bottom sheet (which had some dubious looking red-spots on it here and there), pulled it back, and the bed was COVERED in hair!! I was absolutely horrified!! I sat up for most of the night, perched on the end of the bed on the dirty blanket, and when I eventually got into bed, I made sure I was covered from head-to-toe with clothes. We could hear people using the toilet above and next door as though they were in the same room with us.

The next morning we were pestered by the "room-service" (really??) lady who just wouldn't go away...I don't quite know what she thought she was going to do.

We spent the day at Versailles, had a lovely day, and then dreaded our return. In fact, we'd had enough by then so we decided to fork out more money and come back via train & ferry (Eurostar were going to charge a whopping amount, even though our original tickets were £69 return...).

I booked through hotels.com - although the hotel refused to give me a refund - and lied to hotels.com about when we checked out, hotels.com have given me a voucher for the equivalent I spent on the hotel.

Seriously, don't stay at this place. Not only is the service rubbish and they're liars, it's dirty, mouldy, smelly, bad for your health, and it will completely RUIN your trip.

The neighbourhood is great - we looked at other hotels in the surrounding area whilst we were over there, and not only are they cheaper, but look MUCH cleaner.

AVOID hotel clauzel at all costs!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Vanessa B
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Hotel Clauzel is 2 star hotel and that's all you should expect it to be. Room was small but ok for two people. Bed was nice and firm and bathroom was really ok because there was shower cabin so that rest of the bathroom doesn't get wet everytime you take shower. There is no air contidition and maybe no ventilation too...air in the room was damp. In March you could open windows and get some help to that but I think in the summer or winter it would be bigger problem. Staff was helpful, nice and spoke fair enough engilish. Breakfast was ok, but you can get better and cheaper from cafees near the hotel or metro. Location was really nice, very authentic. The street "Rue de Martyrs" changed in to huge flea market on Saturdays and Sundays. Nearest metro is 300 meters from hotel and there are plenty of food stores and cafees near hotel. For that low price Hotel Clauzel was really good catch.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple