The Playce Hotel
$218
$194
CrownePlaza.com
  • Restaurant
Hotel Elysees Union(Paris)(Great Value!)
$322
$236
$205
Agoda.com
  • Room Service
All reviewssacre coeurchateau rougemulticultural areametro stationnice hotelmontmartre arealate at nightshort walkcentral pariscold meatsnice breakfastvisit parisrooms are smallcroissantseiffel towermarcadetbasilica
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

I was nervous about going having read several reviews about the hotel and the area, but I couldn't have asked for more for the price we paid! The area was fine although I can understand why people might be nervous if they're not used to large cities. Hotel was a 30 second walk from the metro, and a 15 minute walk to sacre coeur. The room was a little in the small side but I wasn't there to sit in a hotel room! It was impeccably clean and had everything we needed. Mehdi on the front desk couldn't have been more polite or helpful.

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank 19kg88
Reviewed February 15, 2014

I read the reviews on this hotel and I'll admit I didn't know what to expect. On arrival at Gare du Nord and upon the walk up to the hotel I will admit I did feel intimidated, while walking up Boulevard Barbes there were groups of men clearly upon seeing people with luggage signalling to each other and seeing one man head toward my bag I then looked directly at him and he quickly darted in the other direction! My first advice would be to use the metro 2 stops to Chateau Rouge just next to the hotel as it is a tiring walk from the station with luggage and it being a busy street you'll leave yourself wide open to pickpockets. Once inside the hotel we were greeted by a very courteous and polite member of staff who checked us in and told us when breakfast was if we wanted it and where our room was. Job done as far as we're concerned as we like to find our own way around places as adds to fun of travelling and I come armed with my phone to help us with anything anyway! Rooms were lovely clean with tea and coffee replaced daily with comfy beds and nice showers. Our room was street facing and late at night there was barely any street noise we could hear of and we rarely heard anyone outside. Wi-fi worked fine for me but wasn't a concern as it's the last of my worries when I'm supposed to be exploring a wonderful city! The hotel is close to the Sacre Coeur and the fabulous lively Mont Martre district which I adored! I read a lot on reviews about the area not being great and people being afraid to walk down the boulevard at night. My simple answer is if you feel intimidated then don't walk down it! If you come out of the hotel and go Into the side street opposite you will come to road that runs directly parrallell to Boulevard Barbes and I imagine that a lot of people will feel "safer" walking down there. Having said that myself and my partner found the immediate area around the hotel to be perfectly fine and it's just full of people getting on with their lives! All in all we had a fantastic time in Paris and a lovely hotel for a great price don't let the reviews about the area put you off - like in any big city use your common sense and relax a bit!

• Stayed: February 2014
3  Thank paulwingate37
Reviewed January 21, 2014

The rooms are very roomy, especially for Paris. The hotel looks as if it was renovated few years ago and it is well maintained. The reception people are very hospital and just ask them about the happening in the city and you will find a lot of good advice.
Although the hotel environment is not grand, it's location is great. A walking distance to Sacre-Coeur, Metro is just a block away, and a supermarket downstairs. Great value.

I did not try the restaurant nor the fitness room

Room Tip: Ask for a room toward the back yard.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank good-living-montreal
Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

Firstly, this hotel is in a very rough area. I was travelling with my boyfriend but I would not stay here if I was travelling alone. It is close to Sacre Couer, but that is about all it has going for it.

Despite the fact that the hotel is a Best Western and should have reliable facilities such as wifi, the wifi was barely functional. It did not work at all in our rooms and when we asked for assistance, the person at reception said there was nothing they could do and we would have to come down and use the computer in the lobby (which is also very slow). I heard various others complaining about the wifi so I know this wasn't an issue with mine or my boyfriend's phone/tablet.

The cleaners do not replace the used mugs in the room with clean ones; they merely rinse or wipe them down with a cloth. I know this because I got a bit of nail polish on the side of a mug and when I arrived back at the hotel in the evening, I spotted the nail polish on the 'fresh' mug.

The service was okay, but the receptionist was very curt when we enquired about the possibility of a late check out. He did not check the computer nor did he say 'sorry we are unable to do this': he merely said 'no'. It wouldn't hurt I learn a few manners when working in this industry!

A few more things:
- Rooms aren't very soundproof;
- Don't flush the toilet or turn on the sink tap if someone is in the shower because the person in the shower will be scalded
- The television is tiny!

The four-star rating on websites such as Booking.com is very misleading

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank amcm86
Reviewed January 12, 2014

We booked this hotel online and when we arrived we knew it was not good when we had to be buzzed into the lobby. The location is close to the train station and by the metro but that's about it, the area is questionable to say the least, we were approached twice in 10 minutes to buy what were cleary fake metro cards. If you are traveling with a woman I would not recommend this place, if you just want a cheap place to sleep go ahead

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Wicks66
Emmanuel V, Directeur général at The Playce Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2014

Thank you for this comment. We have a lot of women of any age traveling alone and staying at the hotel. They do not encounter any problem at all. I won't say more as I do not want to be rude.
Best regards