“Clean and very okay - except for it's location”

Best Western Montmartre Sacre-Coeur
Ranked #1,241 of 1,800 Hotels in Paris
GreenLeadersSilver level
Zurich, Switzerland
“Clean and very okay - except for it's location”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

This is a solid 4* hotel by Parisian standards (small rooms etc). It's standard equipped and clean. There are double doors at the hotel entrance which are closed for security reasons if the receptionist is not nearby (you'll need to ring the bell, he'll open). The reason for this setup you'll find out as soon as you leave the hotel. The Boulevard Barbès is not the most charming of streets in Paris. It's generally packed with people, some of them pursuing illegal businesses (smuggled cigarettes, stolen phones etc.). It's no fun being on this street and you will feel the urge to get out of here quickly. The hotel is in the Montmartre neighborhood, but it's quite a hike involving a lot of stairs to get to it's sights (Sacré Coeur church & place du tertre).

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank SusanneBernard
Emmanuel V, Directeur général at Best Western Montmartre Sacre-Coeur, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Thank you for your comment.
The aera where the hotel is located is funny but absolutly not dangerous.
Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 9, 2013

This hotel is ok not great. The location is pretty central but not the greatest of areas. The hotel itself was clean but rooms are very small. Porter was friendly. If went back to Paris would stay somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Steph-G39
Emmanuel V, Directeur général at Best Western Montmartre Sacre-Coeur, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
regards
Dieppe, Canada
Reviewed October 8, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel while visiting Paris in September. It was walking distance to the Paris Gard du Nord and to the Metro lines. Although the neighbourhood was not ideal (pretty far from main attractions and a little sketchy looking at night, lots of prostitutes roaming etc.but like I've experienced in many larger cities when walking late at night if you mind your own business local residents will mind theirs) the hotel was very good. I would not pick this hotel to stay with my kids but for 2 adults it was fine.

Paris is a big, very touristy city. Expect large crowds, pickpockets and a very multicultural environment.

We arrived a little early but were able to check-in right away. Although staff was not overly friendly or enthusiastic the gentleman at the desk was helpful in letting us know how to get to the Metro line and you could easily get to where you wanted to from there.

The room was clean and quiet. We faced the street and still, other than typical city noise (sirens, cars etc.) it was not any louder than you'd expect being on the first floor of a busy street. The room was small (by North American standards) but, it was what I expected in Europe in an older building. It served the purpose, to sleep and shower before heading out to tour the City.

The bed was comfortable, the hotel was clean. Free WiFi was available in the main area of the hotel but, not in the rooms. Breakfast was not included but for 10 Euros it was acceptable (continental breakfast) and still less expensive than dining elsewhere. The hotel contained no actual restaurant just the breakfast room.

Overall, it was what I expected. Clean, quiet, comfortable, no frills.

Room Tip: If you're worried about street noise or are a light sleeper you could ask for a room on the uppe...
1 Thank charliew007
Thah's nice!!
Thanks and regards
Miramar, Florida, United States
Reviewed September 24, 2013

WE HAD TO MAKE A LAST MINUTE RESERVATION FOR A FRIEND AT THIS HOTEL AND FROM THE MOMENT we got there it was trouble, first they could't find the reservation, I was begging the guy to double check and he just keep telling me that all his guesses were there already, I insisted and he refuse to check, even the taxi driver was talking to him in french and the guy was not cooperating with us; finally I said my friend name and told him you have to have her name there and it's when he finally said the he remember the name; the reservation was cancelled because a problem with her credit card. The taxi driver begged for him to try to give us a room, finally he did not before telling me that I didn't have to tell him how the hotel works. when we I check out the next morning the guy at the desk was very rude I will said that he was a racist, he was not even making eye contact. the we have a problem with the taxi driver a woman this time who had already ten euros on the meter when she got there; we didn't know how that works. we decided to get off that taxi and wanted the lady to stop the meter so we can paid and take another taxi because that lady even push us out of her car, so we when inside and ask the guy to call the police, he told me he was not calling the police and said just paid, bye, get out, bye get out, get out. We felt so insulted by his attitude and regret so much using that hotel. I forgot a pant at the room and when I when the next day for my pant there was the same white guy who asked me the day before to get out and when he saw me he had the same attitude like the day before and told me I dind't leave anything there I asked him to check with the housekeeper and she returned my pant. The first incident happen around midnight on september 14 and then the 15 and the 16 of september. The room was ok, nothing fancy, not breakfast and for 105 euros you can find a better hotel in a better location and where they can treat you better too and this hotel is located in a very noise street and prostitutes all over.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank NACHI1221
Thank you for your comment. We are not racist at all but maybee you are racist , the receptionnists are black, the taxi driver was black... This morning when you had a "problem" with the taxi, the guests who were on reception were surprised by your attitude with me and with the taxi driver.
Best regards.

Travelers are raving about these Paris hotels

Crediton, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Very nice hotel, friendly staff. No bar at the hotel and no bars near by. My husband and myself were there for 3 nights and found it best to stop 1 or 2 stops before Chateau Rouge which is the nearest station to the hotel, get a drink and then return to the hotel.

Showers not very powerful and only shower gel and soap provided. Hair dryer not very good.

Clean room and nice bathroom.

We stayed at the back of the hotel room 202 quieter than the front.

PLEASE BEWARE OF PICK POCKETS. I was robbed of 200 euros getting on to a train at Gare du Nord ! My purse was taken from my bag and then disgarded, empty on the floor of the train.

Very unpleasant keep bags very close with hands over the zips etc.

Room Tip: Beware pick pockets
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comment. Sorry about the pickpokets.
Regards.
Thw Woodlands, Texas
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We checked into this hotel and immediately noticed our room was hot and the windows were open. The desk clerk told us a repairman was on the way. Later in the day we were told it was still broken and they did not know when it would be fixed. We immediately called Expedia and they called the hotel. No reasonable solution was given. We made new reservations at another hotel which was very expensive because it was last minute. Best Western should be ashamed. They offered no help and refuse a refund. How is it that we held up our end of the contract by paying for the room, yet they feel no need to hold up their part of the contract. No customer service. NONE.

Room Tip: Do not use Best Western.
2 Thank GrandmaandPop2013
Thank you for your comment.
You never told us you wanted to leave the hotel because a airconditionning problem.
the airconditionning is working well.
thanks and regards
Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed September 17, 2013

spent 4 nights here recently, cost 500 euro, thought that was ok for a 4 star but it defo wasnt worthy of 4 stars..in 4 days there, the bed was made up and new towels given but the room was not cleaned..there was alot of dust etc and carpet left dirty..we were in a 6th floor back room ..bad idea with kids as there is a huge drop to the ground and NO protection for kids at all..no locks on doors nor windows which are conditions of a four star..room was very small too with limited storage..had to keep reminding house keeping to leave coffee sugar and milk..quite sleazy area but not dangerous really, prostitutes do walk the streets outside but they look like regular women...the beautiful sacre couer is minutes away..and there is a super market right next door..not a bad hotel but housekeeping let them down badly...

Room Tip: with kids stay at the bottom and at the back..
1 Thank TashaS939
Thank you for comment. We are going to check what happened on your room.
Thanks and regards