“Had a very nice stay”

Ranked #495 of 1,798 Hotels in Paris
Oulu, Finland
“Had a very nice stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

The wife and I had an "extended weekend" holiday in Paris, and picked this hotel for it's location and reviews on TripAdvisor. We are, overall, very pleased with the hotel.

The staff were helpful and amiable. We had the staff recommend a restaurant and make our dinner reservations every evening, which worked well and the restaurants were quite nice. Also the staff helped us with other things that needed clarification or booking readily.

The room was fairly small, but clean and nicely decorated. Storage space was tight, with a single small coat closet at the entrance, a small desk and a minibar with a small TV on the top. We had to fold up the chair to have someplace to put the luggage. The bathroom was also clean and fine. The bed in our room could be a slightly on the short side if you are very tall. Overall, the room was definitely better than what I expected from an old building in the middle of the Latin Quarter for the price.

When we arrived the hallway on our floor had just been painted, and the lobby was being renovated on the last few days of our stay. Also there was renovations being done in the courtyard, but we weren't particularly bothered with any of the work going on since we didn't sleep in. We met the owner who had come to check on the renovation progress. She struck up a conversation with us and she ended up giving us a tour of the hotel, showing many of the rooms; all different (it's an old building) and decorated differently, but to the same nice standard. I think all the rooms had the original (14th? 15th? century) beams showing, which I found quaint. She explained the work being done was due to the building code having changed and that a lot of other hotels were under renovation due to this. We didn't get to see the finished lobby, since we had to leave before it was finished. I won't deduct too much from the score due to the renovations because of the way the staff and the owner handled us during this.

The location is very good, near the RER station and within walking distance to many of the sites including the Notre Dame and The Louvre. Also the street had hardly any traffic on it.

Overall, while the hotel is by no means luxury, it did live up to our expectations nicely. We usually travel solo on business (large hotels) or with our three small kids (apartments, villas), so I don't really have too much experience with this type of hotel. However I think I can heartily recommend this hotel, especially when the renovations are all finished.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
ODILLARD, Propriétaire at Relais Hotel du Vieux Paris, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Ithank you for your comments !! the building built in1480 , you cannot push the walls!!

But everybody feel the atmosphere of these old buldings !!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dover, New Hampshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

I come to Paris every month for business and I've stayed in many 3 and 4 star hotels in St. Germain/Latin Quartier. I decided to try this hotel out based on the reviews, and I didn't think it lived up to them at all. First, if you've not been to Paris, you probably don't know what to expect. If you've been to Paris a time or two, you might have had a negative experience, so I can understand people in those categories giving this hotel an "excellent" rating. But if you've been to Paris a few times and know what your options are, this hotel is definitely overpriced. The pros are the location and the room size. The negatives are that there are no amenities other than free wifi. The "mini bar" is a few waters and juices. I never had breakfast there so I can't attest to the quality. The staff is nice enough, but when I checked in after a red eye flight they told me my room wouldn't be ready until 2pm (no problem as that is standard). The problem was that they let me sleep on the lobby couch without offering me ANYTHING for 4 hours and then at 2:15pm I had to go ask for my room key. At which point the lobby manager said sure and promptly gave me a key. One has to wonder if the room was in fact ready beforehand! There is no bar service or any kind of "store" either. There are a few other hotels in this part of Paris that are cheaper and I thought were better quality.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank exeter95
ODILLARD, Propriétaire at Relais Hotel du Vieux Paris, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Bonjour,
I am sorry to learn you did not like your welcome. but even if it is not an excuse, your reservation mentioned the check out at 12 a.m and the check in at 2.pm . we need time to clean the room !
The" Relais Hotel Vieux Paris is unique,because as built in 1480,all rooms are different, definely
not"design" with French flair ...
I am sorry I did not have the pleasure to speak with you duringyour stay.
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

Given the TripAdvisor reviews and photos, I was expecting more. Instead, I took advantage of an "internet special" and booked a top floor room (#57). It DID NOT LOOK LIKE THE PHOTOS! It was very small, poorly laid out (you can't use the closet and get into the bathroom at the same time). In May 2013 demolition was going on next door so we were woken up by NOISE every morning with hammering and debris out the rear courtyard. I would imagine that all of the courtyard facing rooms would hear the noise from that project. The lobby is tacky and service is only so-so. Front desk recommendations for dinner were really off. The business center has a desktop for guest use but smells because it also doubles as laundry storage, luggage and stroller storage. Our room furnishings and decor were tacky and tired. There was also no dresser in the room so we used the small sofa and writing desk as our respective dressers. Also, we took advantage of the nice jacuzzi in the room but the overhead, non-dimmable fluorescent light was not conducive to romance. Next time in Paris, I would choose another inn in the latin quarter which is very close to sights and transportation.

Room Tip: You can do much better than Relais Hotel du Vieux Paris. There are so many lovely places I saw inclu...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
I am sorry you had such a bad opinion of the Relais Hotel Vieux Paris ! You can see room 57 on
the photo gallery of the site ..
your room 57., a room, 18sq m with view over rooftops, a queen size bed 1m80, flat TV , free WIFI, minibar (fruit juice, water, alcool ) a bathroom with jacuzzi, shower, air conditioning, mezzanine
A few blocks away, Hotel de Luynes, a private mansion , XVII century, is in renovation but I doubt the noise could be important at the 6th floor and in addition building workers do not work on WE specially in May with 3 or 4 days of long WE ( lst May ( lst May - 8thMay: Victory day -ascension etc....) and in addition they stop working at 4.30 pm !!
I realyy feel sad...
Darlington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

We visited this hotel at the end of April for 2 nights and would definitely stay there again. We were a bit concerned when we saw the scaffolding set up outside our window, but like previous reviews, we found that this did not impact on our stay as we were up by the time the work started and they did not work on a Saturday. The room itself was charming with beautiful, traditional décor and is located in a quiet little street in a beautiful part of Paris. Ideally situated to be able to walk around the main tourist areas of Paris and to visit local restaurants. A walk to the Jardin du Luxembourg is definitely recommended and is a beautiful running spot for any fitness enthusiasts! For those who don't want to walk everywhere, the Metro station is very close by, but we only used this to make our way back to the Garde du Nord. There was a storage area in the hotel to leave our luggage until it was time to leave. The staff were very friendly and helpful ensuring our stay was perfect. We definitely hope to return again!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pkdarlo
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel during April 18-24. We were very satisfied with the service and the hotel did meet our expectation.

The location is perfect and it is close to major tourist attractions, Notre Dame, etc and restaurants. Musee Louvre is within walking distance. To arrive and leave for airport can take RER which is just 3 mins away. But, large luggage is not preferred with the RER station exit has only stairs.

The room or suite which I took is relatively small but in good conditions. Good amenities are provided.

The only note was that I was told my credit card would be blocked at check-in. I made my booking at hotels.com and showed up on time. The hotel thought we would not show up and charged and credited my card to correct mistake. All were done and told politely. We were after all greeted and cared consistently throughout our stay.

We enjoyed our stay and will come back!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Brianmabel
Geelong, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

Brilliantly located 100mtrs from the river, right near Notre Dame and in the centre of the Latin Quarter. Extremely hospitable and friendly, helpful staff keen to offer beneficial advice and suggestions, great breakfast, small but easily accommodating rooms decorated in very Parisien boutique fashion. Some renovations being carried out externally but they did not start until 8:00am so no problem with sleep. Free wifi, near to Metro at St Michel which is accessible to Gare de Nord and Orly airport. Great restaurants nearby and exciting bars and cafes all around, just a delightful part of town in a magnificent city. Coming back here again, definitely!

Room Tip: Room 18 was great, up the narrow stairs or vis the small lift!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Warsaw, Poland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

Relais Hotel Vieux Paris 9 rue Git le Coeur, 75006 PARIS
I have been 4 or 5 times in Paris in the same smol hotel welcomed by the same persons as a friend the Relais Hotel du Vieux Paris.
We recommend this boutique hôtel, located in a side street, at Saint Germain des Prés,
only 19 rooms with a Parisian touch, exposed beams, wall-fabrics Stylist P.Frey.
Relais Hotel Vieux Paris 9 rue Git le Coeur, 75006 PARIS.
Igor Werowsky

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank igor w
Claude O, Propriétaire at Relais Hotel du Vieux Paris, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Thank you so much. I am looking forward to your next visit in Paris !!