“ok, but nothing special”

TImhotel Paris Gare Du Nord
Ranked #1,595 of 1,805 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed February 17, 2013

The beds are ok, our room small but clean. Few small fungi places in the shower. Through the thin walls and the aeration from the bathroom you can hear your neighbour loud and clear so the noise during the nights depends on the other visitors.
When not to exact, you can stay here for a short visit.
Plus factor: a lot of good restaurants in the neighborhood.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 11, 2013

We were moved to this hotel due to a mess up with the room we had originally booked in another hotel. Something not quite right about this hotel but can't put my figure on what it is. Felt as though I was in a hotel in the Eastern Block not in Paris. Tiny reception with a non-French receptionist. Tiny tiny elevator - could only just get 2 of us in. Room seemed clean and there was tea/coffee making facilities. Bathroom was a good size and also clean. All in all it was not a bad hotel but as I said there was something about it that felt threatening. Would not stay there again.

Room Tip: We were on the 5th floor and although there was noise from people coming into the hotel late at nigh...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Peefor07
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Located just in front of Gare du Nord, the hotel is a very good choice for train travellers. it can be spotted right away, as one walks out of the train station into the busy street in front, Rue Dunkerque. There are many restaurants and bars in surrounding areas. Groceries and supermarkets too.

Check in is quick and efficient. Room size and facilities (beddings, coffee/tea amenities, bathroom fixtures) are satisfactory and clean. Staff are helpful with tour and transport information. Breakfast offerings are adequate and satisfactory.

A highly recommended hotel, especially for those travelling through Gare du Nord.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 6, 2013

The hotel is located right opposite the Gare du Nord train station, hence it can be a little noisy at night and might disturb your sleep. Nevertheless, their triple room is decently sized, clean and comfortable. Plenty of eateries around, and relatively easy to get around Paris.

The hotel provides free wi-fi for you to surf everything but Facebook. I couldn't use Facebook from both my phone and iPad devices. But it was a great stay. Would definitely come back.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 19, 2012

My wife and I stayed for four nights beginning October 14th. Prior to encountering a couple cockroaches in our bathroom, I would've given this hotel a 3 (Avg) rating but after the cockroaches and a few other reasons, I was going to give it a 1 (Terrible) rating. But Terrible sounded too extreem! Our room wasn't Terrible but on the other hand, comfortably met the 2 (Poor) rating. Our cockroaches were in the bathroom during the middle of the night. I quickly put an end to these ugly little creatures with a kleenex and went back to bed. This is one reason why avoiding a bathroom visit in the middle of the night isn't a bad thing! I took these two cockroaches to the front desk reception staff in the morning and he didn't seem to really care. I wasn't too surprised but it also gave me the impression that cockroaches in the hotel is a rather common occurrence and I wasn't referring to the human kind. Needless to say, way kept our bags zipped, closed and off the floor! Noise was also another issue. We stayed in room 113 on the first floor, facing rue de Saint Quentin. For at least 3 nights, our sleep was disturbed by noise either above us, beside us or on the street in front of us. Not a great feeling when you have difficulty falling back asleep. There was a safe in the room but we couldn't figure out how to work it and likely wouldn't have used it anyway. It was secured to anything. It was lying on the floor underneath the desk and my wife could easily pick it up! The hotel indicated Free WiFi but this is highly misleading. The basic access WiFi that's offered free wouldn't meet the needs of an average 10 year old! Couldn't access facebook, trip advisor, emails with attachments, you tube, etc. If you want improved internet download capabilities, you needed to pay 10 euros per 24 hours for the Full Access. Only thing, when I tried to purchase the Full Access on my iPad2, the website didn't direct me to the payment process. So, I basically went without WiFi as the Basic Access is Basically a Joke!
On a positive note, as all other reviews also indicate, the hotel is in a great location, across the street from Gare du Nord Station and the Eurostar/Thalys trains and metro lines. There's numerous restaurants/pubs in the area. Our room was adequate size with a nice bathroom & shower, minus the cockroaches. There's a flat screen tv with a couple english channels (BBC & CNN). There was an elevator although we never used it. It did look rather small, likely more appropriate for a jockey or a female gymnast. For one or two nights (max), this hotel may be ok! Any longer then I'd be looking elsewhere. We did see a number of other hotels in the area. All within a 5 minute walk to the station. But if you choose to stay here, make sure you zip up your bags and keep them off the floor or you may be taking one of those ugly creatures home with you or worse yet, on a shopping trip to Galleries Lafayete!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RicknElsie
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We made an overnight stay here on our way back from Lake Garda to the UK (a group of six adults). The hotel is conveniently located and we were able to store our baggage at the Gare de Nord left luggage facility on our day of departure, so that we could have a day in Paris. The hotel does not have a left luggage facility, although the receptionist did say we could leave our bags in reception, but this did not seem very secure for a whole day.

The rooms were small but very clean and there was a kettle and small supplies of tea, instant coffee and milk, which was a nice surprise. There was also a hairdryer. On the downside, the lift is very small and not for claustrophobics and the hotel is on several floors, with no bedrooms on the group floor, so claustrophobics with mobility problems would be in real difficulties.

There area large number of restaurants in the area. There is breakfast available at the hotel, but the breakfast area is very small so getting a table might be a problem. We had breakfast at the brasserie next door. Noise was not a problem - we all slept well. Overall the hotel was good value for a city hotel, for a short stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 6, 2012

After positive reviews I booked this hotel for a weekend stay with family for my birthday. The receptionist was pleasant and had our room (for 3 people) ready for us earlier than expected. The room was clean and we had an amazing view of Gare du Nord accross the street. I am very particular about any hotel I sleep in, and this one met my standards. The breakfast is an additional cost, but we chose to explore the cafes in Paris. Although it may seem a bit pricy for North American standards, I would stay here again because there were no creepy crawlies and reception was amazing. We had room 334. A BIG Merci Boucoup to Baba who worked the night shift at reception!! We took the Eurostar from London and it had to be no more than 100 steps to this hotel. I did not give an "excellent" rating because the room was cold and we did not have the option of turning on the heat.

Room Tip: If you're travelling with 3 people ask for room 334
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family