“Very disappointing”

Ranked #3,860 of 17,290 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Tour Eiffel / Invalides
Description: Traditionnal french bistrot, offering a tasty local food elaborated with carefully sourced products:- free range chicken, rabbits, pigeons and organic eggs from Etienne Godard's farm in Périgord,- duck breast from the South-West of France- organic beef from the Aubrac mountains- fresh sea scallops, sole, swordfish...- fresh crawfishes, just sauteed and flammed with whiskyA large choice of organic wines will help you to enjoy your meals in this lovely place, definitely out of time.
Chalosse
“Very disappointing”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We used to have dinner very often at la poule au pot, but the manager has changed few months ago and it has become very ostentatious. Prices have raised strongly, waiters are unfriendly, food is ostentatious and does not reflect French cuisine, only tourists attend this restaurant as all loyal customers have left. To avoid.

• Visited September 2013

San Juan, Puerto Rico
“We went twice!!! That's how much we love the place,”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

We went our first and last night in Paris!! We really enjoyed it both times! Though their wine selection is limited, it was great service, great location, affordable and amazing food! We noticed the menu was slightly different on both occasions. One of the best meals we had in Paris.

• Visited October 2013
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“worst meal in Paris!”
Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

I am a flight attendant and travel to Paris several times a month. As this was a recommendation by Girls Guide to Paris as well as Trip Advisor, I sought out the restaurant, also because of it's location. Love the area!
The waiters couldn't have been nicer, but the food was AWFUL!!!!!!!
I ordered what the restaurant is famous for, the Poule Au Pot. It was a very rubbery piece of chicken I couldn't even cut, let alone chew. Think they used an old rooster!!The vegetables were OK. The broth was nothing to write about and even the cabbage was so chewy I had to spit it out! My friend ordered flank steak with pommes frites. The color of the inside was perfect, but unbelievable chewy. Tough as an old shoe.
Two women sat next to us, who live in the area. They ordered the same flank steak, after they told the waiter how dissatisfied we were. He promised her a better steak, but it was exactly the same. They told us it was a new owner.
No tablecloths, and no candles. HUGE disappointment! Will never go back. I don't know what the other people had, who went, but I would have thought their signature soup would have been edible. Waiter was so apologetic and offered several options to make up for it, but it wasn't his fault. Just will never go back. Too many restaurants with Good food.

Visited September 2013
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Best!”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

My friend and I were visiting Paris for the first time and decided to randomly pick a restaurant, hoping to pick a good one! We came across La Poule au Pot and we were so glad we did! We had a great waiter, his name was Francois and he was very friendly, with outstanding superb service, the meals were fantastic, made just right. Had the veal (was so tender and delicious) and the dessert was fabulous too.. definitely recommend this place, very Parisian, great staff and superb food! Thank you Francois for your recommendations!

• Visited July 2013
Winchester, England
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,170 helpful votes
“Good food, disappointing wines”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I visited with a French friend on a Friday evening. He had picked up a worthwhile offer from the internet - 30% reduction if you arrived by 19.30. We sat outside, where the tables are very close together. We began with a sharing platter of charcuterie and cheeses, with gherkins (20 Euros). This was an excellent choice. The four unusual cheeses were served in perfect condition, delicious, and the accompanying bread was fresh and tasty. I have never been very enthusiastic on charcuterie but my friend enjoyed the selection. Along with the bread, this was quite a capacious starter. I drank a glass of 'Sancerre' (7 Euros) with the starter. This was not so good and it surprised me that it was Sancerre, which is one of my favourite wines.

For the main course we both ordered Poule au Pot (20 Euros), the famous dish after which the bistro is named. Before this arrived there was an unfortunate incident. The male half of an elderly couple on the next table, less than a metre away from us, produced a large pipe and asked if we minded if he smoked it while we were eating. I was horrified to see that my friend agreed to this. It is hard to believe that such anti-social behaviour is still legal. How could anyone enjoy a fine French meal in the middle of clouds of ill-smelling smoke? I could not possibly have continued dining in such an unpleasant atmosphere and informed the guy of this. He did move away to smoke elsewhere but my friend informed me that they had not been happy about it. Apparently smoking is banned inside but OK outside, even if the next tables are less than a metre away and the other diners will consequently suffer just as much. Anyway, the traditional Poule au Pot arrived and looked pretty in the dish. A large leek lay on top of the chicken and the broth and this was a bit difficult to cut. We had to eat it rather like spaghetti. Apparently it is a traditional dish once recommended to the populace by the French king Henri IV. It was OK, but my pleasure had been spoilt by the altercation over pipe-smoking, also by the fact that the second wine that I tried (a lesser Loire wine at 4 Euros) was not very nice at all.

• Visited August 2013