“Theiving staff, do not stay here”
Review of Le Derby Alma

Le Derby Alma
Ranked #78 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I have logged on and registered to Trip Advisor especially to write my review for the Derby Alma Hotel. During a recent trip to Paris for work, the Paris office booked me in the Derby Alma as my normal hotel the Hotel Bassano (in the 16th) was full. I arrived, checked in and apart from the unpleasant welcome from the receptionist and the cramped room all seemed fine. 1 week in and I unexpectedly had to travel to Prague for 1 night for another meeting. I had a large bag and a smaller travel bag with me for my 2 week stay so decided to avail of the "left luggage" and just take my travel bag to Prague. Upon check out I discovered that there was no left luggage, only the small staff back office. I thought nothing more of it until 2 evenings later when I had returned from the Czech Rep, checked back into the Derby Alma, retrieved my bag from reception and went looking for something to wear for the evening. I was obviously shocked to discover that 2 formal shirts (A&F 90 USD each) and a tshirt were no where to be found. I immediately went to reception but the receptionist could suddenly only speak french. The following day I spoke with the owner of the hotel who was extremely aggressive and unhelpful. I checked out that day and moved to another hotel. All in all I found staying this hotel to be an extremely unpleasant experience and would not recommend it to anyone, unless you want your things to go missing.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank TheCrofter73
Vainney L, Directeur général at Le Derby Alma, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Dear Sir,

First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at Le Derby Alma.

I apologize for the unpleasant welcome you experienced upon arrival at the Reception and I inform you that I will take the necessary measures. However, your other accusations are really surprising. Our luggage room is located behind our back office so it is very secured. Moreover, we never had any such incident before and all the members of our staff have been here for many years.

You surely did not speak to me or any other manager as no member of the management was aware of this incident.

I invite you to contact me directly at the Hotel to try to find the best solution to this issue.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

Checked in to this hotel on Thursday September 5th.
First impression of the room was that it was nice and clean, although a bit small.
We got a corner room on the 3rd floor, and after a quick look we dropped the bags and headed out. When we returned in the evening we all wanted to take a shower.
We then discovered that the bathroom was full of small insects, and part of the window was full off mold.
I complain to the reception and the said they where sorry, but they where fully booked and that they would talk to the manager the next day.
Next morning there was another receptionist, I had to explain the problem again. This one was not happy and had no clue of what I was talking about, and could do nothing as I had used booking.com and everything was pre paid?
I then explained that a four star hotel should be pretty nice and not have insects, mold etc and she said the manager would contact me.
After 30 min we got tired of waiting and went out.
When we returned there was no note from the manager and still insects in the bathroom.....
Again talked to the receptionist, new again, and she had not heard about it and would look into it.
After that the room was sprayed and now the problem should be solved!
Next day, the insects was back, but as this was out last day we did not have any more energy to spend on this.
Needless to say we will never stay at this hotel again!
And the manager never got in touch with us!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Niclas M
Vainney L, Directeur général at Le Derby Alma, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

Dear Sir,

I apologize for all the inconvenience you have experienced. It seems that the proximity of the line of trees outside on the Avenue and the recent weather conditions explain the presence of these small harmless insects in the rooms when the windows are left open. When the housekeeping staff clean the rooms, they usually open the windows for fresh air.

We were not used to this kind of issue but now everything is done to prevent it.

Concerning the mold in the bathroom, it is only located on the window wood frame. The fact that it is right in the bathtub doesn't help so we already contacted a company to remove it and change it for a PVC wood frame. We only reopened a few months ago after a full refurbishing of the Hotel and the rooms and this problem only appeared now.

I understand you would not like to stay again at Le Derby Alma considering all these issues but I can assure you that everything is being done now to avoid such incidents in the future with our guests. Therefore, I sincerely hope that we will have the pleasure to welcome you another time to Le Derby Alma to make up for this first unfortunate experience.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Friendly staff greeted us as we began our 3 night stay. Clean, larger than expected, rooms made us feel quite comfortable. Loved that the hotel was just a few minutes walk to the tower and the metro station. There is a lovely pastry shop a few doors away as well.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank scully789
Vainney L, Directeur général at Le Derby Alma, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Dear Madam,

It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay at Le Derby Alma and that you were pleasantly suprised by the room and its size. The Hotel and the rooms were re-designed in 2012.

I would also to thank you for your kind words regarding our staff. It will be shared with the whole team of Le Derby Alma.

Le Derby Alma is very close to the Eiffel Tower, the Champs-Elysées and metro stations but we also have nearby little shops like the one you mention as it is also located in a quiet residential area.

We hope that we will have the plesaure to welcome you another time to Le Derby Alma.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

Located strategically near the Eiffel Tower, the hotel is serving one purpose; it offers a place to sleep. There is not too much else in the package, no fancy gym or tours, or anything else. It does what it's designed to do, and that's OK in my book.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 665PeterB

Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay at Le Derby Alma although we may not have a gym as you say. However, our staff at the Reception is always ready to book tours for our guests or to give a few tips to visit Paris.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

We stayed for 4 days. Very close to Eiffel Tower and metro station. For a Paris hotel, the size of room is bigger compared to most. Wifi is available but it can be slow at times. Bathroom is well lit with bath tub and hot water. I love a hotel with constant running hot water. My husband and I liked our stay here. We're mostly outside and do not stay in our room that much, so I guess the overall amenities suited our needs.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mdluna01
Vainney L, Directeur général at Le Derby Alma, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Dear Madam,

As mentioned in your review, Le Derby Alma is ideally located, very close to the Eiffel Tower, Champs-Elysées and metro stations. The nearest station is at a five minute walk from the Hotel and there is also the RER C at two minutes from the Hotel. The RER C allows you to go directly to Notre Dame, Saint-Michel, Orsay Museum or Château de Versailles.

Concerning your remark on the Internet, I inform you that we are currently trying to improve the wifi with our technicians.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

My husband, 7 year old son and I recently stayed at Le Derby Alma for 3 nights, from July 26-29. Le Derby Alma is considered a 4 star hotel, but I wouldn’t agree. I would say it is more like a 3 or 3.5 stars. The location of the hotel was great if you are planning to do touristy type stuff. The Eiffel Tower was a short 5 minute walk.

The lobby in the hotel was pretty small, just a sitting area and a small bar. We found the various people at the front desk to be helpful when asked, but no one went out of their way. One employee seemed pretty efficient but also a bit condescending. She made the arrangements for our airport transfer. We didn’t find out until our last morning there that there was a breakfast room downstairs. It seems someone might have mentioned that when we checked in. It didn’t matter too much though since we were planning to eat at cafes nearby.

We had free internet but it was painfully slow. We didn't use it much as it was frustrating.

Our room was large, we needed a bigger room since our son was staying on a pull out couch. The carpet was a dark brown and didn’t seem super clean. The room was stuffy, so I opened the window as soon as we got there only to discover someone’s dirty socks had been left on the window ledge. I forgot to tell housekeeping about the socks so they remained during our stay. Overall, the room was fine though dark.

The bathroom was large with a big window. The shower was the type that didn’t have its own stall, just a drain on the floor of the bathroom. I am not a fan of that arrangement though my son got a huge kick out of it.

One day we went out early morning, didn’t return to the room until after lunch time and our room hadn’t been made up yet. We stayed in the room for a few hours that afternoon but left again, leaving the sign outside our door to have our room made up. Housekeeping was on our floor, just a few doors down. When we returned to our room later that evening the room hadn’t been cleaned. Frustrating. Housekeeping seemed to keep strange hours; they definitely weren't early risers. At any given time of day (not during the night however) there might be a vacuum running in the hallway.

My husband thought the hotel was fine and indeed it was a good location for us and a decent price. But, I don’t think I would stay there again. Too dark and not clean enough in my opinion.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank JMGReviews

Dear Madam,

I am deeply sorry to read that your stay at Le Derby Alma did not meet your expectations.

On the other hand, as you say, Le Derby Alma is in a perfect location only a few steps away from The Eiffel Tower or Champs Elysees.

Your remark on the size of the lobby is correct but you have to keep in mind that Le Derby Alma is a boutique hotel of 33 rooms only. Considering this, our lobby is rather spacious. The breakfast room is downstairs and I am sorry if nobody mentioned it to you although it allowed you to spend some time at cafes nearby as many of them have nice outside terraces.

Concerning the Internet, our technicians are currently working on this to improve it as soon as possible.It is working fine but it can be slow at times.

I have informed our housekeeping department about the socks on the window ledge. I apologize for this inconvenience. If you had told us upon arrival, we would have taken it away. They did not take it away afterwards during your stay because they thought it was yours. The necessary measures will be taken to avoid any such incident again.

Despite this unpleasant experience, we hope that we will have the pleasure to welcome you another time to Le Derby Alma.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

Really enjoyed our stay here. The service was very good, location excellent and the free breakfast generous. The room size you would expect of a hotel of this type in Europe so it goes begging for drawer and closet space for your clothes but you make due. We were here for 6 nights and it was fine.

You need to ask for ice and an iron for your clothes but they don't hesitate to deliver them to your room. The front desk was extremely helpful and spoke English so coming from the US and knowing little French, there were no communication problems.

There is a bar on site but no restaurant. Still there are many good ones nearby to choose from. Just avoid the "Italian" restaurant on the same block.

I would give this place a solid 3.5 stars if I could but it's charming enough to deserve the 4 stars since its two blocks from the Eiffel Tower and much better than your standard 3 star hotel in Paris.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Sir,

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed our buffet breakfast as we tried our best to provide it with products of quality. We also insist on choosing local products and particular brands that you may not see in other Hotels in Paris.

We hope that we will have the pleasure to welcome you another time to Le Derby Alma.