“Terrible hotel that I have ever seen”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel du Dragon

Hotel du Dragon
Ranked #1,192 of 1,798 Hotels in Paris
“Terrible hotel that I have ever seen”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

I was in the du dragon hotel with my colleague in November 2012 . Terrible hotel I have ever been in all of my life . I never recommend anybody to go there . Be careful when you are on the stairs . Corridors are scary.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Ahfaraji

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

I Stayed there with my boyfriend five nights in new year 2011-2012! It's a small hotel, but very cosy and comfortable! The breakfast (which is included on the price) is delicious. The location perfect, in the heart of Saint German. No complains, would definitely come back!

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank Manuela D
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

This hotel is completely uncorporate with a lot of charm. I had a single room (Room 17) on the third floor which was very spacious for a single room and the bed was boardering on double size and very comfortable. It was spotlessly clean and had an en-suite shower room. It's in a very nice room and the bakery opposite does top notch croissants and pain au chocolats. There are lots of good places within easy walk...I particularly liked Saint Germain market, the Museum of Eugene Delacrois, Les Editeurs for something to eat and the Jardins du Luxembourg. The hotel is open 24 hours a day and has free wifi throughout. There's also a communal room with sofas and I believe a computer for general guest use. The only things that may bother people are that there is no lift and there are six floors so this could cause some people difficulty. Also, the water in my bathroom was fairly tepid. This didn't really bother me so I didn't speak to the hotel about it.

Room Tip: Room 17 on the third floor is a good room for a single room. It was very quiet and the bed was larg...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

This hotel is an acquired taste. I loved my stay because I felt like I was a part of the bustling, vibrant, welcoming neighborhood. I didn't feel like a tourist. I was hardly in my room because even when I was tired from walking to the Louvre or Marais and back, the neighborhood revived me. I had to go out and just enjoy the sights and sounds.

The hotel is small and old, but I find it charming more than rundown. My single room was a perfect size. I did have a shower, but personally I prefer that. I was on a high floor, but after walking up and down stairs all day throughout Paris, 3 more floors isn't a big deal. The strapping young man who checked me in quickly and efficiently would probably have carried my bags up if I asked him. I didn't use the breakfast option because I like to try a new cafe every morning, but you barely have to leave the short Rue du Dragon to find 2-3 patisseries and cafés.

The wifi worked great which turned out to be a lifesaver as I wasn't supposed to be travelling for business, but the office fell into chaos (not because of me). But I spent a few hours on Skype calls and Google chat. So I even found that I could do business from the unbusinesslike hotel.

You'll probably either love it or hate it, but I've never stayed in Paris and felt more at home.

Room Tip: Luck of the draw? I stayed in a "air shaft" room with no view but found it quiet, ventilat...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Patrij B
Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2012

Small cosy clean hotel at affordable price in the heart of saint germain with excellent service. Only small negative point is the lack of elevato

• Stayed April 2012
Providence, Rhode Island
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2012

Hotel du Dragon is a relatively inexpensive, relatively old-fashioned, Parisian hotel off Blvd. St. Germain des Pres, well located for the metro, buses, and restaurants.
We stayed for six days at about $210 per day for a double room and breakfast for two. The rooms have wi-fi, t.v., hair-dryers and some are further"modernized." We were first assigned to a lately renovated room on the ground floor, which we disliked because it had no window and it's new bathroom was awkward for us. The management was fine about changing us to a more traditional third-floor room with a window, which was quiet and comfortable but, like the hotel as a whole, more than slightly seedy. We didn't expect things to be otherwise and were not, therefore, shocked by the lack of soap or the thinness of the towels. The manager(?) spoke good English and was quite helpful, as were the rest of the staff, as far as our poor French and their poor English would allow( we printed our boarding passes on the office computer and once got tea water and cups from the kitchen). Most hotel guests seemed to be French or Scandinavian.

What we liked most about Hotel du Dragon was LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION.
1.) This is a good shopping area for women's clothing, costume jewelry, leather goods, and shoes. Burberry at the top of the street and, in the opposite direction, Bon Marche is in walking distance, as well as many small boutiques on and around Rue du Dragon.
2.) Although some might prefer to take the bus, we walked back and forth to the Louvre, Musee d'Orsay, and Musee de L'Orangerie. We were glad we hadn't purchased the expensive PARIS PASS, because we didn't need the transportation component.
3.) The number of highly rated small restaurants and brasseries in the vicinity is amazing. Although we had recommendations from friends, we ended up relying more on Trip Advisor's "In your neighborhood" and our own impressions of places we walked past.

Advice
If you're not early risers, don't get the hotel breakfast, there are a couple of bakery/take-out places right on the block that are better and cheaper.

Get the museum pass for as many days as you need it. It's wonderful to walk right in, past the crowds of waiting people (crowds even in April, it must be murder in the summer) and it covers other attractions besides museums.

Room Tip: No elevator, so try for the second or third floor.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Sherlocky78
Milan, Italy
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2012

It was the worst part of a fantastic week end in Paris.
I kindly asked at the moment of reservation that i would like to stay in a lower floor room (i read in tripadvisor that was no elevator). They send me a mail saying that they booked the HIGHER floor! I thought they were wrong, or it was a mistake but when i came there (1.a.m. in the morning) they gave me the more higher room. The guy at the reception didn't help us (me an my girlfriend!) to carry the luggages (5 floors with horrible stairs!!!) and i asked again for a change but he said that he could do any change (by the way we saw on the PC that a loto of double room were available at lower floors!!! ?!?!?)...Mah...after that....no shower gel....room not to much cleaned....
We asked the day after for a change and they said "Ok take your baggage downstairs" because the would not "allowed" to help us doin that. No words.
We asked agian for the shower gel and when we came back there was no shower gel (only shampoo)...we called the reception and he said "ok come and take it"!!!The day after i went to take the shower gel....and there was no shower gel...only Shampoo!!!
I had finally to pay cash because they had credit card reader off line. So i had also to withdraw cash (and pay relevant fee).

I strongly suggest to not go there!!!!!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Michelangelo P

Travelers are raving about these Paris hotels