“First hostel experience an A++++”

Young & Happy Hostel
Ranked #33 of 172 Specialty Lodging in Paris
Thunder Bay
“First hostel experience an A++++”
Reviewed April 20, 2009

Highly exceeded any of my expectations.
I booked it through their site online and it worked without a hitch. Got there and our room was ready. We were on the second floor in a single room with a set of bunk beds. The windows opened fully onto the street which was beautiful (the fact the windows opened fully). I will give it that the street was quite loud and until the early early morning hours (but can't blame the hostel for that). There was a little table and 2 chairs and a sink. The sink was a great bonus too. Showers were on our floor but we had to go up one for the toilets which was no big deal. There was a great looking breakfast offered and they had internet available for a cost.
All around, superb experience. Amazing location!! I'd recommend this to any hostel go-er -- new or not!! (I was brand new to that experience, and was definitely not jaded by it!)

Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Youngandhappy M, Gérant at Young & Happy Hostel, responded to this review, October 11, 2016
Dear guest, thank you for your review and let us know whether you come back in the city !

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
hampshire
Reviewed April 20, 2009

Me and my friends went to stay at the young and happy hostel last week for a girly holiday, and we loved young and happy!!!
In other reviews we read the bathrooms were horrible - there are not many bathrooms, but for £25 a night what do you expect? They were fine, usable.. and definately not super dirty and breaking like some people said.
We also read that the staff were rude- SO NOT TRUE. The lady who works the evening shift and the guy who works over night were so friendly and helpful, especially at giving directions, telling us about the metro etc. Also they accomodate any arrival and leaving times (we left at 5 in the morning and there was someone there awake and happy to say bye!)
The bedrooms are fairly good.. there was four of us and we stayed in a 6 bed mixed dorm, we had one whole side of the room to ourselves. The bunk beds are kind of hard to get onto, use a chair! And we took our own bedding cause we heard you had to rent it. The rooms are a nice size and warm.. theres not too much of an issue with noise but we were towards the back of the hostel.
The location is amazing, like 5 minutes from a Metro Station and so near the centre of paris, the night life is good.. and theres a really cool fountian!
So go to the Young and Happy hostel!!!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
Dear guest, we thank you for taking time to share with us your feedback about your last stay. We're happy you enjoyed your stay on the whole and assure you we take into consideration every proposal to improve our services to make them more convenient.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back for another great experience and let you benefit from the news.
Ireland
Reviewed January 14, 2009

This hostel is basic but that reflects the price. I stayed in a 6 bed dorm on the top floor. Space is tight in the hostel but the rooms are of an adequate size. It was a bit annoying that the showers and toilets were on a different floor. I stayed here in May 2008 before the busy summer season kicked in and it was fine but I would not like to stay here in the height of Summer. The staircase to the upper floors is quite tight and it is awkward to to lift bags up and down. The staff are friendly but a bit too laid back at times. It is clean and safe. The breakfast is extremely basic but again when you're paying that low a price, it is what you would expect. It might sound like I am putting this place down but I am not. It was in an excellent location, within walking distance of the popular sights in Paris. And if you didn't feel like walking, there was a metro station nearby. There is a supermarket next to the hostel. The street is lined with little shops and restaurants and there is a lovely atmosphere. The location definitely made up for any problems I had with the hostel.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Inadequate space
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dear guest, we thank you for taking time to share with us your feedback about your last stay. We apologize for the maintenance problems that occurred all along your last stay and assure you we have taken into consideration your feedback, since we have improved our services and facilities to make them more convenient.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to turn your next stay into a better one with us.

Travelers are raving about these Paris hotels

Southampton
Reviewed August 3, 2008

I stayed in the Young and Happy hostel not too long ago and i definitaly enjoyed my stay there. My first impression of the hostel was not great, as the rooms were very basic: just contained two beds which moved, a lot, a sink and a tiny room with a toilet and the kitchen lacked a number of items: plug in the sink, sharp knives, oven, bowls. However, we realised that we didnt need any more than the basics in our room, and that we shouldnt really expect anymore for what we paid (26euros per night) and we managed to cope with the problems with the kitchen.
The staff were incredibly friendly, knowledgable and willing to help, and nearly all spoke good english.
The showers always had warm water, however there wasnt always a free shower but this was expected.
The breakfasts were nice: bread, crossant, jam, butter, juice, cereal, coffee/tea.
The location was excellent. The road was full of restaurants which had a nice atmosphere in the evenings. there is a supermarket next door and a bakery not too far down the road. There is a metro station very close, so it was easy to access all the other parts of paris.
However, another problem was that we were not able to access our rooms between 11-4 which we thought would be a problem but in the end didnt make a difference. There was no curfew in the evening.
I would deffinatly reccommend the hostel to other travellers, as i thoroughly enjoyed my stay.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — very basic rooms
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
thanks for your positive feedback, let us know whether you visit the city once again in order to let you benefit from our news !
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed June 9, 2008

I found this hostel on Hostelworld.com, which which I've usually had great success and have felt that it gave me a correct impression of the place I'm staying.

However, this hostel did not provide what we had reserved--a private room with a double bed and bathroom. We arrived to find a narrow room with two unsheeted cots stacked one in front of the other, and an overflowing public bathroom. The area was good, walkable to most attractions in Paris, but the street noise at night from rue Mouffetard prevented us from resting well. Coupled with an incompetent desk employee, what we thought was a cost-saver on our trip to Europe ended up really dampening our experience of Paris.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AmanDaAman
Los Angeles
Reviewed April 15, 2008

I stayed in this hostel from April 6th 2008 to April 8th 2008 for 3 consecutive nights.

I honestly don't know why there are excessively negative reviews here, because personally this hostel has instantly become my most favorite hostel in Paris. as I really regretted that I didn't pick this nice hostel before.

I saw a review describing how terrible their shower was. But, I did get hot water fairly soon, so that I myself experienced no trouble taking shower.
Just a note. In the past, I avoided booking this hostel, because I'm not that young, (although looks very young), and prefer a female dorm room usually. But, for my fourth visit to Paris, I gave a try to this hostel, because of the location, and to my surprise, there wasn't an actual age restriction. Also, more than half of guests were girls, so that my dorm room was almost girls only room, so I was glad.
As far as I've seen, none of the staff was rude to me. In fact two of the staff were very personable and kind.
This hostel provided better breakfast than two other hostels in Paris that I had stayed, although their breakfast room is quite small, thus there was a waiting room around a little after 9am.

Contrary to some reviews, my personal experience is that at last I have found a hostel, which I should have been staying in the past. Because, the location of the Young and Happy was like my dream come true. I wondered what a shame, that I wasted my valuable money and time and energy walking a long distance to one hostel, which was located in a rather bleak location. (so far away from a metro station, no nifty café or restaurant nearby) Or another hostel, whose location was like a nightmare and its surrounding environment in the northern Paris seemed so frighteningly dangerous with poor immigrants, and also provided no breakfast at all. Or another hostel, which has only one key per room, so that the hostel staff didn't give me the room key and told me to knock the door and ask someone already inside to open the door for me. But, how could you do that easily when you need to get in late at night?

This Young & Happy hostel gives a computerized card key to each guest of the dorm room like a normal hostel, so that I never had to knock the door, that's so ridiculous.

Anyway, this hostel Young & Happy helped me have a nice stay in Paris largely due to the super reasonable cost to stay and brilliant good-olde-world location, on the Due Mouffetard (market) in the Latin Quarter. (cobble stones and winding narrow streets, food Marché on weekends) Right next door to this hostel is a super market (convenient store), which sells low price grocery and shampoos, etc., there are many cute restaurants and cafes, gourmet bakeries right around the hostel.

Since I can read Japanese, I noticed that there were a notable number of Japanese independent travelers staying in this hostel, because later I learned that this hostel is recommended in the most reputable Japanese independent travelers' guide book, Tikyuno-arukikata as one of most recommended hostels in Paris. And I could understand why, because this hostel happens to be located in such a location, almost hard to believe that I could stay in such a nice charming part of Paris with the budget hostel cost like 24.5 euro per night. (curfew, bed linen for rental for a small fee though, those didn’t bother me)

Right after I left Paris, I went to London, and I spoke with one girl, who was also traveling in Paris one week before, and I told her that you should've stayed in the Young & Happy, because its location was priceless. But, she told me that she didn't go there, because she saw a bunch of bad reviews about this hostel. Then, actually it was hard to believe some of negative reviews on this hostel. So, I thought I should say something to give more balanced view on this place.

Nothing is fancy at this hostel, some facility was a little shabby, but it is expected for such a low budget. I've seen so many hostels in other cities and countries, and I didn't find this hostel notably dirty or rude or dysfunctional. I was simply so grateful to be able to stay in such an atmospheric area with such a deal price. From the next time, without a doubt, I will return to this hostel, because compared to 3 other hostels that I have stayed so far, this has been the best hostel in Paris to me. Are other people referring to the same hostel?? Like someone said, it's not that bad, I agree totally.

• Liked — The convenient and joyful location (a short walk from a metro, from the nearby metro, Place Monge, it took me hardly much more than 10 minutes to the Palais Royal - Musée du Louvre station to my pleasant surprise) and priceless atmosphere of the surrounding environment & neighborhood & Rue Mouffetard (market street), which this hostel is on. I'm seriously considering returning here with my husband someday in the near future, because this hostel's location will remind him of the Saint Michel area, which he loved so much, but hotels there were expensive.
  • Disliked — There were 2 computers for guests' internet, so almost always occupied by other people. But, I discovered that in the morning around 7am, I could always use it since almost no one was sitting in front of it then.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled solo
4 Thank raven_10099
Thanks a lot, we enjoyed accomodating you and hope to se you soon for another stay with us !
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 5, 2008

There are plenty of bad reviews for this place, but when I stayed it was cheaper than anywhere else. That should tell any traveler not to expect too much. The lock out and curfew and the cash up front were all expected, it is a HOSTEL! The staff was not rude to me, but I did see them treat others pretty bad. The other guest were asking questions that the staff probably had answered millions of times before, or argued about the policies that were posted in front of them. I spent a lot of time sitting at the bar and noticed that guests that treated the staff bad got treated bad. It was also very busy, booked full every night that I was there, with people getting turned away every night that I stayed. They are mostly kids working, probably just following the rules that are set in front of them. If you stay here, don't expect to change their rules to accommodate you.

This place is for tough travelers that want a bed and not much else.

It is a great neighborhood, a real neighborhood that people live and work in. Cheap good food all over the place, metro close by, made the Young and Happy worth every penny. I was able to stay in Paris for 7 days/6 nights and only spent $400 U.S. because I stayed there.

• Liked — Cheap!! Great location!!
  • Disliked — showers were on a ten second timer.
  • Stayed April 2005, traveled solo