“worst hostel i've ever stayed in”

Young & Happy Hostel
Ranked #34 of 177 Specialty Lodging in Paris
Reviewed December 21, 2013

I stayed here back in April 2011 and it was honestly the worst hostel I've stayed in, in terms of the rooms, bathrooms and kitchen. Now I will be honest and tell you that I've pretty much heard that this is typical of all the hostels in Paris. However, this place really is inhabitable. I suspect the beds don't get cleaned at all, i think things kind of get 'pushed' around so it looks like its been tidied. Bathrooms are seriously horrendous - I actually didn't shower because getting in that, I would have been worse off. Breakfast was stale bread without fail. The staff and location are awesome though. Be warned and choose wisely!

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Julie T
Youngandhappy M, Responsable réception at Young & Happy Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2014

Dear Guest
thanks for your review and sorry you didn't enjoy more your stay. We have improved since the problems you noticed so we hope you will be able to come back for another experience. Let us know !
Reception team

There are newer reviews for Young & Happy Hostel

Reviewed September 27, 2013

stayed four nights in 8 bed dorm

the staff is brilliant at this somewhat quirky little hostel.

the dorm rooms are not overly tight and mine at least had one full bathroom with a second (very tight) separate toilet. the kitchen is in basement and is pretty basic. the Wi-Fi is a bit of a joke as you need to be in EXACTLY the right place to use it. hostel is clean but not obsessively so, and the stairs in this old building are diabolical.

What sets it apart from most and makes it a GREAT place to stay is the location which is a 10 min. walk to Notre Dame, 20 min. to Musee d'Orsay & 15 min to Gare Austerlitz for trains south, and the staff who are terrific who are helpful, energetic, and fully prepared to spend an hour finding accommodation for drop-ins at other hostels.

The hostel had a really good range of ages & nationalities which always make for an interesting environment and late night discussions!

One of my best hostel experiences ever & I would happily recommend this hostel to friends.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Youngandhappy M, Gérant at Young & Happy Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2016

Dear guest, we thank you for taking time to share with us your feedback about your last stay. We take into account your review and still work to improve our services to make your stay more convenient. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back for another experience.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

My friend and I stayed here for three nights and found the location to be amazing. We stayed in an eight bed dorm with a bathroom. It wasn't overly spacious but it wasn't unbearably crowded either. Bathrooms are cleaned daily along with rooms meaning you must vacate between 10-3. Best time to have a shower is 3 or just to be the first person in the room. The floor gets pretty soaked every time the shower is used. Linen is included towels for rent. Continental breakfast is included and pretty reasonable considering. They do have laundry facilities however they were not working during my stay. A five minute walk from the Notre Dame and just round the corner from the metro. Walk out the door and your spoilt for choice on where to eat with everything ranging from sit down service to bakery's etc. all in all we thoroughly enjoyed our stay to the extent I've booked it for my return with my partner this week.

Room Tip: If you have a lot of luggage be warned of the steep narrow spiral staircase.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed September 6, 2013

I have stayed a full week in the Young and Happy Hostel and I truly enjoyed it. Coming from the Netherlands I have never stayed in a European hostel so I can only compare with the hostel experiences that I had in Australia and New Zealand. Upon arrival I was checked in by Joachim, a Portuguese who speaks his languages ( Portuguese, English, Spanish, French..) so from whatever country you are from, you will be fine communicating. I found it truly special that Joachim remembered my name, every time I had a question/ passed by. I booked a 10-bed dorm and ended up in a 6-bed dorm, pretty nice upgrade. Also, even though there are not much toilets or showers, I never had to wait for one and I found them clean. Breakfast was pretty nice: every morning croissants, pistolets, orange juice, coffee, cereals and dishes of breakfast were done by the hostel. Since I was travelling alone, I found it very important that I would end up in a social hostel. I really recommend this hostel for single travellers: you will meet people from the moment you have arrived. Rue Mouffetard+latin quarter is very central, and i found this street one of the most nice ones. Very safe area as well. Well..what can I say being all that positive: I can only recommend it and thank the hostel for my pleasant stay!!! Regards, Leonie van den Berg (25 years old), Netherlands

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank leonietje33

dear guest, thanks a lot for your positive feedback we're very happy to know you enjoyed your stay. Hope to welcome you soon for another experience

Reviewed August 8, 2013

Certainly not the best hostel i have to been to, but i have also been to much worse. First of all I do not understand the other reviews saying that the whole hostel shared one or two bathrooms, I stayed in an 8 bed mixed dorm, and we had our OWN shower and TWO toilets in our room. But perhaps different parts of the hostel also have different toilet solutions. The problem is that the shower door in my room was broken, so I had to hold it up manually during my shower. They tried to fix it for a couple of hours, but didn't. Other than that the room and bathroom were clean enough.

We had one night of partying till late, and thought happily we could sleep in as we have done in the previous hostels on that trip. They threw us out around 10-11 to clean the room, which is very bad service to me. Between 10/11 am and 3/4 pm they want you out of your room.

They also once came in and said we had to change rooms. We were of course angry about this, and especially when we understood that they had the wrong people. We got to move back into our own beds again after 4 hours, but it kills me that we, tired and hungover at 10 am, had to pack all our stuff together and move out because they didn't even bother to ask our names to check if they had the right people. The staff was nice though, always happy, but service is also professionalism.

The fire alarm also started several times during our sleep. Very uncomfortable and loud, felt like I almost had a heart attack every time I woke up from the fire alarm.

Okay, so to the good parts. The location is perfect. I love the restaurants and small shops around the area. Also just a "short" walk to the latin quarter, which was why I chose to stay here. Free wifi in the lobby which was nice, and the common area in the basement was really cozy. Met a lot of nice people in this place, I did love the atmosphere and the easy access to everything.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Tufselufs

Dear guest, we thank you for sharing with us your feedback. we have analysed your feeback and apologize for the problems occurred during your last stay. Since, we have improved and refurbished some areas and rooms and hope to have the opportunity to let you discover our new services and facilities, much more convenient. See you soon with us !

Reviewed August 1, 2013

I stayed here for 4 nights in an 8 person (i think) room with a bathroom in the room. It was on the top floor.
The room itself was decently clean but quite cramped and unfortunately I had a cough on of the nights spent in the top bunk and probably was very disturbing to the person below me as the beds were so unsteady and creaky :( sorry neighbor.
I was pleasantly surprised at how clean our bathroom was kept but perhaps thats because it was a common floor bathroom but one inside a room.
I took full advantage of the free breakfast every morning. Of course it's nothing special but it gets the job done.
The location was great. I'm a big fan of walking as much as possible to learn an area and this was fine for me staying here. Though some attractions definitely demand taking the metro, like the Eiffel tower, and that is easy as well since a stop is only a block away.
Overall it was what I expected. Would I stay again? If it was in the same room, perhaps, since I seemed to have a better experience than many others.

Room Tip: If you can, stay in the room on the very top floor, it's further away from the noise and the bat...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Do not trust any review that says this hostel is "clean." There are only 2 toilets for 20 something rooms with multiple beds each. Plus, my boyfriend and I were eaten alive by bed bugs and the staff didn't seem to care at all. I could say some nicer things, but I just can't get over the bed bugs.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends