“Dirty Washrooms and Showers...”

Young & Happy Hostel
Ranked #31 of 166 Specialty Lodging in Paris
Vancouver, Canada
“Dirty Washrooms and Showers...”
Reviewed August 24, 2012

All I have to say is that out of all of the hostels I stayed in, from Prague, Rome, Vienna, and Paris, this one was the most dingy. I should have definitely paid attention to the reviews about the cleanliness but alas, I was in a hurry and the Paris portion of my trip was not my best planned leg.

Rooms were OK, beds weren't bad. Rooms were a bit stuffy though but if you open the window, especially in my room, we were facing the main street..so I think every evening I was there, the noise was quite bad if you wanted to sleep early.

Here's the worse part though...the showers were absolutely disgusting. I don't know how to describe it..just don't go there. Even if I overlook the cleanliness of the showers, there is only one temperature setting...o wait...its a push button that spits out water either cold or warm...if you get warm...you are having a great day...otherwise...its like water from the arctic.

Aside from the actual living quarters, the staff were very nice. Paying for internet is a bit of a hassle....lame sauce. Breakfast was good...Location was good...especially for if you want to buy some fresh fruits...the supermarket is right next door. However, it is not open on Sundays....which is a Paris thing I was told. If you feel hungry...grab yourself a crepe down the street...not particularly expensive.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank KelvinKWWong
Youngandhappy M, Propriétaire at Young & Happy Hostel, responded to this review, October 11, 2016
Dear guest, we thank you for sharing with us your feedback. we have analysed your feeback and apologize for the problems occurred during your last stay. Since, we have improved and refurbished some areas and rooms and hope to have the opportunity to let you discover our new services and facilities, much more convenient. See you soon with us !

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed July 12, 2012

I'm still in the middle of sorting out a financial mistake they've made, where they charged me an extra night at 148 euros for a night that I did not stay at the hotel. I'm not used to dealing with bad customer service, but the receptionist I last spoke with was just disinterested and really could not give a damn about my plight. I couldn't believe how he tried to just handball my issue to the manager instead of addressing it! I would have been so angry if someone from the hostel got back to my many phone calls and emails from the previous 4 weeks when I first called.
Absolutely appalling service. This hostel should be shut down. I'm pretty sure it does not meet any hygiene or safety standards. I can't believe it is still operating.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Makm4766
Youngandhappy M, Gérant at Young & Happy Hostel, responded to this review, October 11, 2016

Travelers are raving about these Paris hotels

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed June 21, 2012

This hostel provides an average hostel experience. It's close to the metro and lots of sites are walkable. Rooms and bathrooms are of average cleanliness and comfort.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
dear guest, thanks a lot for your positive feedback we're very happy to know you enjoyed your stay. Hope to welcome you soon for another experience
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed June 12, 2012

This hostel was terrible. I have stayed in many hostels (Asia/Latin America/North America/Europe), so the overall satisfaction rating here reflects so many issues all rolled into one.

Toilets - or lack thereof. For the 15 rooms (50+ guests) there were 3 toilets only, one off the main lounge area. One was even closed for 'security reasons' - whatever that means. To get from my room to the toilet I had to walk down 3 flights of stairs, into another area and up 2 more flights. Several times (during morning 'peak' of course) no options for a toilet for half an hour.

Additionally, for the 6 rooms in my zone (30 people), only one shared shower. Perhaps ok (if you time your showering needs), except that all the showers are on some sort of pressbutton timer system giving you 20 seconds max between periodic bursts of very hot water. Difficult to rinse yourself without keeping one finger to the button at all times. Scalding hot jet stream for the rest of it.

We had a double bed, too short for anyone over 175cm tall and because it was a double, only one set of linen. But the linen seemed to be for a single bed (one size fits all) meaning that I had the sheet and my better half had the blanket. And never the twain met.

Internet at 1 euro per half hour (either on your own laptop or on their PC) was expensive, especially when the pace was virtually dial up (could not even log into bank account VPN due to time out) and after 3 euros i was no closer to any of the solutions I wanted. Most people using their machines were actually looking for alternative accommodation. Truly.

Security is a challenge, with almost none for the luggage storage room and an unclear regime during room cleaning. You must be out of your room from 11am until 4pm for cleaning - no exceptions. There are individual lockers available in fairness, so that was a plus.

As I said, the location is outstanding, so if this is your number one criteria, then you will be fine. Also, the dorm accommodation seemed to be far more roomy (perhaps not surprisingly) so for a team who spend little sober time at the hostel it could be a winner.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank CamG4000
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed May 21, 2012

I'm someone who is very patient when it comes to budget travel. I don't do well with primadonna attitudes and ascribe to a "you get what you pay for" mentality but...this was a stretch even for me. Bed bugs, noisy immature roommates and no sleep make someone who just flew 7 hours a very grouchy visitor. The shower was in the actual room I slept in (and shared with 2 other people) and the toilet upstairs. Not uncommon, just awkward when you have to go in the middle of the night. In summertime in Paris, the sun still shines brightly at 9-10 pm. Given this, it would have been nice to have curtains in the room to facilitate the much needed sleep. It would have also been nice to have air conditioning in the middle of the heat.

It was probably just my luck that amounted to a negative experience but I think this place could do better.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank monicaleticia
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed February 13, 2012

Stayed there in february 2012. Highly enjoyed it. .

Pros:
The staff was friendly and helpful and remembered my name
Close to lots of great cafes, bars and restaurants
Quiet area
Clean rooms

Cons:
The building is old and narrow
The included breakfast is limited to bread, croissants and coffee

Room Tip: 4 bedroom dorm are nice and clean
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Carlsbad
Reviewed January 4, 2012

I have traveled all over Europe in hostels and bed and breakfasts, and NEVER have I seen an establishment in such poor, unkept condition. My boyfriend and I had a tough time finding accommodation in Paris, so we figured what the heck, lets give this place a try. This decision was the worst one made of our entire one month trip across Europe.

To start, they have a very long lockout, which after our 16 hour plane ride, put a damper on the entire experience. This lock out takes up the bulk of the day, which we then spend laying in the Luxembourg Gardens, tired, and bored. After we arrived and checked in wanted a shower. This is a normal feeling, right? At Young and Happy, WRONG. The small, dirty showers seemed to only pump freezing cold water. After notifying the staff, they said it should take a few minutes to heat up. Fair enough. After 10 more minutes of no luck, again I made my way back to the lobby to complain. I was then told that the showers were broken and they didn't know when they were going to be fixed. I immediately demanded a refund, and spoke to the manager who said this was not a problem. Because I booked through Hostel World, a 10% deposit charge was taken from me, which, according to the manager, could be refunded only by Hostel World. The manager at Y & H told me he didn't see any of the deposit money. A few phone calls later, Hostel World told me to be refunded I would have to go through Young & Happy. I continued to try to e-mail Y & H many times to get in contact with Alex, the manager, only to have my inquiries ignored. I was adamant to get in contact with him and be refunded my $53 dollars, as he told me to notify him of any trouble I encountered. Long story short, my credit card company ended up crediting me because Young & Happy went missing.

I consider myself extremely worldly, and I would not wish my enemies to stay here. The place smells, is damp, dirty, the sheets didn't even look sanitary, and the bathrooms were absolutely awful. Please do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else. It is just not worth it.

Room Tip: Do not stay here if you have an ounce of self respect for yourself!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple