“Nice Hotel, Nice Staff”

Ranked #1,346 of 1,798 Hotels in Paris
Apex, North Carolina
“Nice Hotel, Nice Staff”
Reviewed May 22, 2006

My wife and I stayed in the Les Deges de Notre Dame for 5 nights. There is a spiral staircase to get to the guest rooms. The walk up to our fourth floor room was a bit tiring after a long day. Our room -36- was spacious and clean with exposed wooden beams in the ceiling. The three sets of double windows opened out to the quiet side street. There is no air conditioning, but we did not need it. If it had been hotter the three big windows would have provided a lot of ventilation. The bathroom was large and clean. It had a tub and shower with plenty of hot water. The room had a color TV. Breakfast was included with the room price, it included croissants, fresh baguette, butter and jellies, fresh squeezed orange juice, and choice of hot beverage. Located very near Notre Dame, and close to two Metro stops and the RER lines. The staff spoke English, and were very pleasant.

• Stayed May 2006
19 Thank michaelmfl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed March 16, 2006

When I emailed the hotel to ask if it is possible to take a room without breakfast (the website states it is not included, but the quote does include it) I received a terse reply. It said "we note you are not interested in our room, we never make offers".

The hotel prices seem to have been raised quite a lot from last year eg. room 47 April 2005 E100: price quoted for May 2006, E140.

Glad I found out that customer service NOT one of this hotel's strong points before I booked! I'll be looking elsewhere.

9 Thank ludwigvon
Tring
Reviewed January 31, 2006

Me and my partner travelled to Paris on a very short weekend break (2 nights) in December to do some Christmas shopping. The hotel was recommended to us by friends - I did not have the time to look it up so we just booked it. I think we were quite lucky that there was an available room - booked it less than a month before we went. It is a beautiful hotel in a fantastic location. Opposite the Norte Dame, although not so obvious from the exterior, the rooms were pure luxury. Our room, to be precise, was large, with a wooden floor and ceiling. The shower-room had not long been renovated. There is no lift available, and although the long spiral stairway is a bit of a task to complete, it is well worth it. The reception staff were extremely attentive and looked after us thoughout our stay. We were late arriving and although the kitchen had closed, the welcoming reception staff arranged for us to have a meal at the hotel. Breakfast was also lovely - traditional parisian croissants with semi-freshly squeezed orange juice, hot drinks etc (but not buffet). You also get the option of breakfast being served in your room. Upon departure, they also stored our luggage until late in the afternoon when we headed off to the airport. My only complain is the price. While there, we were informed that the prices were going up for 2006 - I personally found the price we paid average. Not cheap but not extortionate. I somehow feel that the new prices may be a bit too much, but I would still try and get a room there when I am in Paris again.

• Stayed December 2005
20 Thank PhillipP
North Berwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 19, 2005

I have to disagree with the previous two posts - I contacted the hotel in June for a booking for just one night in August and had no problem getting a reservation. I'd never stayed at this hotel before but chose it based on the reviews here.

• Stayed August 2005
12 Thank Gstreetgirl
London, UK
Reviewed August 8, 2005

I agree with the last review - I have tried to book into this hotel also based on the reviews here on this very useful website, only to be told that they only take bookings for their regular guests unless the booking is for a long stay. I was advised to contact them the week before arrival, and if they had availability they would then be able to book me in.

All of which is fair enough, however does not really make the place a hotel, more of a club.

Stayed August 2005
13 Thank tal27
Reviewed August 3, 2005

I have tried to stay at Les Degres de Notre Dame hotel for two years now especially based on the recommendations both here and from an acquaintance. This past week I thought I would ask again for a 2006 reservation. The staff said it's too early to make a reservation and not only that, the rooms are booked for 'regulars'. This did not seem right to me. I explained to the staff member that it's unfair. The following day, Nicole, emailed me a long message to say that because the hotel is so small they only reserve long stays (5-7 days) and for regular guests first. They book short stays (e.g. 2 nights) sometimes but not always on weekends.

Her words are "At the moment we are taking long stays just till the end of 2005. We are taking short stays only till october if they are not for week-ends, or if the stays are after, or before another long one."

So don't even bother to request a 2 night stay at this hotel unless you can rearrange your plans to suit the hotel's strict and unfair reservation policy. I've concluded that there are other hotels (small ones even) that have no problem taking a short or long stay without any problems.

Stayed July 2005
9 Thank paris_1204
NYC
Reviewed June 24, 2005

We chose this hotel based on TripAdvisor and other reviews. We were a party of 3, staying in #48 and #47.

#48 cost 115€ and has a full bed and a convertible single bed. The room, with bath, has 3 windows and is airy and pretty.

#47, right next door also with bath, cost 100€ and is smaller with only one window so is more cramped. But, you can see the Notre Dame from one side of the bed! The room has 2 single beds which can be pushed together.

Staff is very friendly, and Nicole speaks great English if you need it. Classic, copious continental breakfast: coffee/tea/etc, all the baguette you can eat, butter/preserves, fresh-pressed OJ.

The rates feel a little high for the quality of the rooms and the fact that you have to climb stairs (and we're from NYC), but you are right across from the Notre Dame, great if you get lost. Very close to the main drags of the Quartier Latin w/o being directly in the fray. Pack light, and try it out.

• Stayed June 2005