“Not impressed - would not recommend to anyone”
Review of Hotel Vivienne

Hotel Vivienne
Ranked #446 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stayed here on our Paris-leg of the Tour de France. Location was good as it was walking distance (15-20mins) from the Champs-Elysees.

However, the standard of the rooms was diabolical and on complaining we only received a 15 EUR discount - which I guess is better than nothing.

Issues with the room:

- No air con.
- Busy and noisy street (very noisy until 3am)
- Dirty (wet pieces of rolled up toilet roll on the carpet and clothes tags left on the floor)
- Carpeted floor did not go all the way up to the walls
- Paint peeling off the ceiling
- Plastic peeling off the bathroom mirror/sink furniture
- Broken toilet cistern
- Lamp hanging off the ceiling
- Mould on the bathroom walls and ceiling
- Bath seal yellow and peeling away

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RissaKP
KLODETTE72, Propriétaire at Hotel Vivienne, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

many thanks for your review. i'll try to answer each of your points:air conditionning: you are in a 90 euros room in the center of Paris. We have extreme temperatures for two weeks every 3 years. you were unfortunate in that you arrived during a heat wave.

noisy street: i suppose you slept with your windows open given the heat, sorry about that one!

dirty: as the receptionist told you she gave you the room early and the cleaning was not finished! but perhaps you don't remenber.
for all the other points the room is going to be redecorated in august as we do every summer i hope you return to the vivienne and we'll put you in the same room so you can make new photos!

There are newer reviews for Hotel Vivienne

Reviewed July 15, 2013

We were generally very happy with this hotel. After comparing prices and reviews, this one seemed to be our best option to book. The staff were very helpful and friendly (they came to our room immediately when we could not get the TV to work - turns out the prob was just that the antenna was not plugged in) and the room and bathroom were clean and well maintained. The soft furnishings are a pretty dated in a goldy/browny colour which could easily be changed to freshen up the appearance and feel of the room. The elevator is tiny but apparently most are and the room itself was quite small (after pulling the trundle bed out for our 2 children to sleep there was no space to walk around the beds, but once folded away there was enough space to make it comfortable for the short time we actually spent in it). The bathroom was a good size for a small family. The location is excellent and we walked everywhere from here. The Metro is very handy if you don't feel like some of the longer walks (or walks back to the hotel at the end of a busy day with tired kids). Our room did overlook the street and there were times when there was quite a bit of noise from people hooning in the street (even at 3am!) but this couldn't be avoided unfortunately as at that time of year (July) we really needed to have the balcony door open during the night for air (no aircon). The noise didn't seem to affect the kids or my partner's sleep, and I was generally so exhausted from our active days I'd go back to sleep easily anyway. Would definitely recommend this hotel as an affordable, clean, well located option for a short stay in Paris.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the street can be noisy.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Mixed feelings abt this hotel. Pretty close to Lafayette, and served by 2 metro lines, so it's quite convenient. Room size is perhaps 'big' compared to other paris hotels. But it's very close to the main street so noise is a problem. I know they stressed about the sound-proof windows, but without air-conditioning the only way to get some fresh air is to open the window, and so noise hit you.

We stayed on the first floor on the first night. Throughout the night we heard people chatting, laughing, motorbikes engines, and even a man who sang loudly on the street at 3am! We did not sleep well. We talked to the staff on the next day abt the problem. He seemed quite shocked abt it, thinking there shouldn't be a problem with their sound-proof windows, while we kept telling him that we couldn't close the window because we needed fresh air. Maybe it's Europe's culture to sleep in an air-tight room?

Anyway, I have to say that although they found our comments strange, they remained friendly. Eventually they moved us to the sixth floor on the third night, facing the inner side of the street. The room was smaller, but the bed was bigger, and we managed to have better sleep there.

You can try it if u don't care abt the noise, or you don't need any ventilation. Afterall it has nice location, low price, and helpful staff.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

The staff were very friendly and gave us great suggestions for shopping, dry-cleaning, etc. There is a tiny elevator (2 people, or 1 with a suitcase), but it works great. I mostly took the stairs, so I could work off all the great food I was eating.

This hotel was very close to the Metro (subway), several bus lines, and even a taxi stand. It was easy walking to the Louvre and Les Halles. There were lots of cafes on the corner, and even a phone shop where I could buy a SIM card for my unlocked phones. Make the walk to Rue Montorgueil where you will find a pedestrian-only street with great little food shops.

The only downside was that I could hear the street noise at night, including late-night revelers getting drunk and being loud.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Marcus C
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I really couldn't fault this hotel at all. It is so central and the room rate is really great value for Paris, which is a very expensive city! We got quite a big room on the 4th floor which overlooked the street and had two tall windows which opened out onto it. It was quite noisy but that didn't bother us at all, I guess if you are a light sleeper you might want to ask for a room at the back. We had a private bathroom with a toilet, which some rooms don't. The room was spotlessly clean and was cleaned every day. The staff were friendly and helpful and the cat that lives in the hotel was adorable, so chilled out. We didn't try breakfast there but it looked like it would be good. There are three subways within a few minutes of it but you can walk to so many places from there too, the Louvre/Tuileries are pretty much just down the street. The Roissybus from the airport drops you off about 15-20 minutes walk away from the hotel. I would most definitely stay here again and I really hope to go back to Paris again soon, there are just too many things to do there!

Room Tip: We were in room 27, on the 4th floor. Lots of space, private toilet and a nice view of the street. O...
1  Thank lady_linzi
Reviewed June 12, 2013

This hotel is ideally located. It's a 10 minute walk from North Station and less than 10 minute walk to the Louvre. I wanted to be in that area and for that price (85 eur/night) all I could find was around porte de Pantin and such. There's a subway station around the corner and a couple of velib stations within 200 meters. Don't expect to find many bicycles available right in front of the hotel though. I installed an app on my phone and could get the number of available bicycles around in real time. Room was clean. Shared toilet, but very clean as well. I'll go there again next time.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I spent 4 months planning my return to Paris after 50 years, concerned about hotels because of sleeping issues. I stumbled on the Hotel Vivienne early on in my research and was attracted by the consistently excellent reviews of the hotel location and staff cordiality. My boyfriend (first trip to Paris) and I were not disappointed. We stayed in room 12 for two periods of 5 and 7 days interrupted by a 2-day jaunt to Normandy when we were able to store most of our luggage at the hotel. For travelers looking for true value and excellent staff, you cannot beat Hotel Vivienne. No, it is not luxurious--has that worn, "old Paris" look, but it is impeccably clean, efficient, and extremely well located. Our room was much larger than I expected, and was in fact, actually a suite like an old college dorm: as you enter the room, an enclosed toilet room to the left, then ahead, a large enclosed bath/sink area. Separating toilet from main bathroom is an excellent idea. The bedroom is also enclosed by a door, with plenty of space and surfaces for luggage. There was even a closet adjacent to the bath with shelves and sufficient hanger space. I was truly amazed, having read how small hotel rooms can be in Paris.

My primary concern before this trip was noise, since I knew we were next to a shared corridor toilet. But with double doors separating our bedroom from the adjacent room as well as the corridor, this was really not a problem. The rear view, looking out at a restaurant kitchen from the Gallery des Panoramas was not picturesque, but who wants to view Paris from a hotel room? Speaking of beds--it was comfortable and huge, must have been a king, which is saying a lot for Paris.

Finally, I cannot say enough about the staff. All the staff have been with this hotel for years including the maids and the desk staff. A special "shout out" to Alain who is amusing, multi-lingual, and full of knowledge about the history of this hotel, which dates back to well over 100 years ago. The breakfast area features whimsical black and white copies of Paris scenes shot by a famous 40's photographer, which adds to hotel's overall charm. Alain also exhibited the utmost kindness and patience in helping us print boarding passes because the French keyboard on the lobby computer (not hooked up to the printer) totally frustrated me.

I recommend this hotel to any budget minded traveler who wants a safe, trustworthy hotel in a prime location, which is particularly good for shopaholics like me given all the charming "passages couverts" embedded in the neighborhood! Most days, I felt like I was living in a set from the Scorcese movie, "Hugo"!!!

Room Tip: The next time we visit, I would choose a room on a higher level. Not sure why--maybe to have a dif...