“Awful experience - still affected by it 4 months on.”
Review of Hotel Grenelle

Hotel Grenelle
Ranked #1,377 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed September 2, 2012

I am a solo female traveller and I booked a standard room at this hotel for 3 nights back in May. I have been traumatised ever since, i woke up with several large bites on my body and I noticed bugs in the bed when I pulled back the sheet. I went downstairs to ask to be moved to another room, the manager started slamming things around, then pushed me in to the lift yelling at me that I was expecting more than I was worth and that i had not paid enough for the room and shouldn't be expecting very much.

He came into my room collected up my belongings shoved them in my suitcase threw it down the stairs then proceeded to push me down the stairs also. He threw me out of the hotel. He refused to refund me for the next two nights which I had paid for. I was very shaken and distressed at this time as i had not seen this fit of rage coming and was just expecting to be moved to another room. I went to a nearby hotel and literally crumbled into tears at their reception desk. They were lovely and told me that they get distressed clients coming from that hotel all the time and that the staff there particularly target female travellers who are alone.

I have suffered several infections from a reaction to the bites and even 4 months on there are marks on my body where the bites were. I am hesitant about travelling alone now after this experience. Please don't stay at this hotel the family that run it are unpredictable and i fear that something terrible will eventually happen here

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
13  Thank Travelbunny747

Reviewed August 18, 2012

We booked our room months ahead for the night before our arrival so we could checkin and use shower at 6am after a 27 hour flight. I emailed the night before we were due to arrive to confirm our booking and remind them that although we were booked the night before that we would arrive at 6am and wanted to go straight to the room. On arrival we were told that our room was not available and we would have to wait til 9am as the couple they had sold our room to the night before had paid 4 times what our booking was worth and they were checking out at 8am. After much argument the staff told us we could have a free shower and they would take out belongings to the room later. We did not actually get to check in to a room till 11pm despite going back at 6:30pm to change for and evening out, we were told we could use the shower again and they would move our belongings. When we returned at 11pm our belongings were left unattended in the lobby of the hotel (not in the luggage room even). We had to take them up to the room we had booked which was finally available. On Checkout the next day the manager demanded payment of the first night stay even though we never got to use the room and someone else apparently paid 400 euros to stay there. He physically pushed me against the wall grabbed my suitcase out of my hand and threatenend to call the police if I did not pay, he refused to give me back my luggage or passport til i paid for a room we did not even get the opportunity of using. The altercation in the lobby took place in front of my young daughter who was crying and distressed at seeing her mother being thrown around by a big frenchman who was screaming abuse and telling me to shut my mouth (Ferme le bouche) every time I spoke. Ultimately i paid cash just to get out of what had become a very volatile situation and to protect my daughter. Yes the location is great but there are other hotels on the street that take advantage of the location I would give this one a wide Berth and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank macantt
Reviewed August 11, 2012

You can choose this hotel only for the location!!

Not at all happy with the rooms, they are very tiny with 2 small beds for double occupancy. The room which we were allotted had a bathroom with a tub but with no shower sheet or a shower, it had a hand shower instead but as a result water falls on the bathroom floor and it comes out of the bathroom and soaks the room carpet!! Moreover the hand shower leaked very badly.

Although its a hotel, there is no functional restaurant, they just serve breakfast in the basement. Absolutely no change in the menu..if you are on a limited budget you will have to eat the same breakfast everyday!! No complimentary bottles of water are provided in the mini bar in the room, instead they charge for it if you ask for it. No tea/coffee maker in the room either. The worst part is they have just one plug point in the room, so at one point you can charge max 2 devices if you use that connector plug-in.

But once you step out of your room...it's a busy and bustling street with the metro La Motte Picquett de Grenelle located bang opposite the hotel..cross the road and you step into the metro. There are many cafes and restaurants in the street with McDonalds right at the corner. Take a left from there and you are in Rue de Commerce street, the shopping lane with lots of shops. You can also find Subway in that lane for the sandwich lovers. Across Mcdonalds (cross the road) you can find lots of cafes serving drinks and food, also a Hagen Daz ice cream outlet for ice cream lovers. Also lot of ATMs around for people travelling with forex card, you can easily withdraw money..there is HSBC opposite Hagen Daz and 2 more in Rue de Commerce street.

Room Tip: Try and ask for rooms facing the Eiffel Tower, you can watch it twinkle while going off to sleep :)
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 14, 2012

Our expericence with this hotel was to put it simple very bad.. The state of the room was fine - except the bedbugs that attacked us during our stay..

The reaction from management was one of threats and anger rather than recognition of the problem and remorse.. For that reason I expect that the problem will never be solved..

Otherwise the hotel served our needs very fine, but it is still an overwhelming problem..

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Jaser2000
Reviewed July 8, 2012

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed July 5, 2012

On Tuesday 3rd july I went there to pick up a friend, we asked to the concierge to change the hotel the day two, he starts like a lawyer to discuss that was not possible (ok that’s right, but… the 2nd night at 500€ was too much…) he continued with an un impolite fair and at the end he advise us that “the Mafiosi Italiani is better if they remain at home…”
So I don’t know what is your opinion, really I do not have a word in order to explain or justify such rude dialogue and his bad relationship with himself.
I hope the owner/manager will see the video and take some blame action to this man.
At the end I’m the customer and they sell a service, all of us have to remain in their role.
The location was nice, unfortunately the service not.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank rcparis_12
Reviewed June 29, 2012

Just across the metro station and 15 mins walk Eiffel tower. McDonald is around the corner as well as the big supermarket there (Monoprix). Hotel room is in a good condition and clean, really worth the money.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple