“I cannot recommend not booking this hotel enough”

Hotel Saint Germain
Ranked #196 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed November 4, 2010

Where to start?! Their website is WONDERFUL and sold me to pay €159 a night. Well, had I been shown the room we were given, I would not have paid €15 to stay there. It was awful, the worst hotel room I have ever had the misfortune to see never mind have to sleep in. The "large" bed was so small I thought there must be another one somewhere lurking. The ceiling was cracked and yellow and the walls were orange YES burnt orange (take a look at the rooms you see on the website). We had to go outside thru a courtyard and up a very narrow staircase to our room (3). Heating did not work. Room resembled a prison cell. Only 1 UK TV channel and the volume was so low on it you could not hear it. The FREE INTERNET you get with the deal did not work once while we were there (there was a laminated sheet telling people this at reception so I feel this is a common occurance). Then we come to FREE BREAKFAST. Well what can I say? If you are still feeling the need to book this hotel, book without breakfast and go to one of the many local cafes. The tables are not cleared, no glasses, no pastries left (at 9am) it was just dire. Get your cup of coffee and get out! We changed rooms (to 1) after the first night (we were shown 50 - would recommend against that too) which was maringally better. As in it had wallpaper and looked bright but to be honest the damage had been done thinking it was acceptable to put anyone in room 3. To try and find some positives - the reception staff were attentive and the location is wonderful. Loads of fab shops on the street.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank vmarr5000
HSG2, Directeur général at Hotel Saint Germain, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2010

Dear Madam,

First of all, we would like to thank you for your kind interest in our hotel.
We noticed all the comments you made about our hotel and are deeply sorry to find out that your stay here did not meet with your expectations.

As we are currently undertaking a complete renovation of all the rooms, you can make sure that your opinion will be taken into consideration in that process.
Regarding your comment about the bed, we would like to inform you that the Bedding has been changed a few months ago.

It seems that you unfortunately arrived into the breakfast room just before refill but I can assure you that our clients do appreciate the pastries, the cereals, tea, and coffee that we offer since most them choose to take their breakfast in the hotel or their room (on demand).
We truly hope to welcome you in the future in order to show that we do believe in constant improvement.

Best Regards,

There are newer reviews for Hotel Saint Germain

Reviewed July 21, 2010

I have stayed three nights in this charming little hotel in the 7th arrondisement. I have found the staff very friendly and enjoyed the pleasant atmosphere. The breakfast buffet was very generous. The only negative thing for me was the furniture being a little old; however, the rooms were very clean. The location was beyond convenient being walking distance from Musee D'Orsay, the Louvre and Place de la Concorde. I have enjoyed window shopping on the little streets around the hotel. I also rented a car, and I found a parking lot very close to the hotel, Sevre-Babylone. I highly recommend Hotel St. Germain to my friends and would go back there anytime.

• Stayed: June 2010
Reviewed July 13, 2010

The rooms are very small, particularly the shower room and toilet. The 'breakfast area' is simply reception with placemats etc, and although most of the staff were very helpful and friendly we found one particular receptionist very rude.

Breakfast is simple but good. They have croissants, pain au chocolat, baguettes, a couple of cereals with two juices and tea/coffee.

Our room and my sister's room were both very smoky smelling. When we asked the receptionist if we could move rooms she simply proclaimed that we had not specifically requested a non-smoking room and so could not change. There is no option to select non-smoking when booking however, and I suspect that being in Paris smoking is freely accepted in the hotel so do make sure to contact the hotel in advance and request a non-smoking room if you do not smoke.

We also only had one plug socket in our two person room which made charging phones and cameras at the same time a nightmare. The TV worked but there were only two English channels, one of which had volume problems in all rooms (the TV volume was limited so we could do nothing about it).

There is free WIFI, but this only worked if you were sitting in reception.

When we visited it was 33 degrees during the day and we returned each day to find that the maid had switched the air conditioning off so the room was baking hot. The maid also failed to leave us towels and when we asked for some in reception, were given hand towels to shower with.

It was unfortunate that roadworks were going on outside during or stay but that was not the hotel's fault. I have, however, stayed in much nicer hotels in Paris for the amount we paid and probably wouldn't return there despite the good location.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 27, 2010

We choose the Hotel Saint Germain to be near by but not in the thick of things in Paris, it had easy access to the sights, good local shopping - in a nice neighborhood. Old world charm was mixed with modern conveniences and contemporary art; what made our stay great however was the exceptional service provided by the staff. Nice complimentary breakfast too!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 16, 2010

This is a fairly typical Parisian hotel with regards to room size, bathroom amenities etc, but the location on the Rue du Bac puts it bang in the middle of one of Paris' more interesting and individual shopping areas. The concierge Pierre (who never seems to go off shift is an absolute STAR. In between dealing with extremely fussy transatlantic clients in the most charming and professional manner he was very helpful to my party, helping us when all northern european airports closed down with no warning due to vocanic ash in the upper atmosphere. NB the hotel is perfectly clean: are reviewers complaining about dirt confused with the other hotel of the same name on the same street?

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 9, 2010

I will quickly say there was one good thing about this hotel and that was the nice lady at the front desk. The location was OK, the breakfast was OK. Apart from that absolutely NOTHING good to say about this dump. Upon entering the hotel we were greeted by the most grotesque nude male statue that we've ever seen. We were given our room key and stepped into the elevator and never thought we would exit again, it was so cramped and old. We did make it to our floor (the stairs were such that it was too difficult to carry our luggage up to our floor) and never again set foot in the elevator as we really thought it would break down at any second. When we opened the door to our room we were shocked. The carpet appeared to have never been cleaned since installation (which looking at the filth on the carpets was a long time ago). The furniture was in horrendous condition and was filthy. We peered into the bathroom and there was mold in the shower and the toilet was in such a cramped room that you would have had to sit with your knees near your chin to use it. We went to the front desk (via the stairs, of course) and complained only to be told the hotel was booked for the night and they couldn't move us to another room. We trudged back upstairs and decided we could survive one night. Once back in the room we pulled back the covers on the bed only to find the sheets covered with hair. I'm being completely serious. Never have I been so disgusted by a hotel in my life. We covered the bed back up with the blankets, laid our coats over the pillows so as not to touch their pillowcases, and slept on top of the covers in our clothes as we didn't dare even change into our pajamas. It was truly the most disgusting room I've ever been in. I'm sure cockroaches were dancing around us as we slept that night.

The next morning we were moved to another room which, although much cleaner, still had hair on the sheets. We were in this hotel for three nights and every night we slept on top of the covers so as not to disturb the hair collection on the sheets. The bathroom in this room was much cleaner and there was actually room to sit on the toilet which is a bonus.

We were traveling with a group and someone else booked this place for us, but I would not recommend it to my worst enemy. Just filthy and disgusting. Any 1-star hotel would have to be a step up from this place.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
4  Thank juanereeno
Reviewed March 2, 2010

I've just spent a long weekend at this hotel with a large group of female friends and we had a great time. The location of the hotel is perfect for reaching most landmarks (Eiffel Tower, Place de Concorde, Louvre etc) and close to some gorgeous local shops and the larger department stores. The area has a safe feel to it and relatively quiet for central Paris, with lots of cafés and boutiques nearby. As some other reviews have stated, the rooms are quite small and we only had one power outlet, but we found them comfortable and the bathrooms are modern and clean. If you don't plan on spending much time in your room (and in Paris why would you?!) this quirky hotel is a perfect base for any stay and I will be sure to return next time I visit.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends