“Beautiful hotel, great staff, delicious breakfast...”

Hotel Saint Germain
Ranked #200 of 1,805 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed May 8, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for a long weekend in early May 2012 and I can't fault it. The rooms were small, but I didn't expect any bigger for a Paris hotel. It was beautifully decorated, with a lovely shower room en suite and separate toilet. The staff were so helpful, they booked a restaurant for us on the night we arrived and suggested a good location for another evening.

The breakfast which is included is delicious, it's continental but more than enough. We didn't miss the fried food at all! Beautiful coffee, crossaints, french bread, jams, compote, fruit, cereal, juice etc - and lovely hot chocolate too. We couldn't stop eating!

The location was perfect - and I honestly think for the price you pay it is an amazing deal. We couldn't recommend this hotel enough - and next time a friend or family member is going to Paris we're going to demand that they stay there!

Room Tip: Our room was on the second floor (room 20) and was lovely - I don't think all rooms have a separ...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Emily H

Reviewed May 3, 2012

Very convenient small hotel for all the attractions of the left bank - a short walk from the Louvre too. Rooms well modernised - but even in a superior double the bathroom required Houdini type agility to enter and exit. Breakfast was very good. Above all, however, the staff were friendly, cheerful and very helpful - at all times! The latter is a first for us in Paris where an air of haughty disdain for "les rosbifs" seems far more normal.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask about the size of your bathroom!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Richardreynolds1
Hsg P, General Manager at Hotel Saint Germain, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind comments, glad you like your experience in our hotel.
Our main goal is to satisfy every wish of our guest during their stay in our amazing capitale.
Hope to welcome soon again
My best regards
Virginie

Reviewed April 28, 2012

My wife and I stayed seven nights at the Hotel Saint Germain (April 2012) and by the end we were chomping at the bit to write a glowing review of the place.

The staff were amazingly helpful, polite, and eager to be of service. We could always tell they were pleased we were there and they valued our business. It was impossible not to love Pierre at the front desk. He was a delight to interact with.

The hotel served a terrific french breakfast each morning with many pastries to choose from and lots of coffee (espresso, cafe au lait, etc.) and juice choices as well. It was the meal we looked forward to most each day.

Our room was small but very comfortable and attractive. It overlooked Rue du Bac which is a terrific little neighborhood street.

The free wifi was excellent, allowing us to Skype home to our kids and also to plan our outings each day.

The location of the hotel is terrific. The neighborhood itself is less touristy and more authentic. It also happens to be a higher-end part of town. The shops and boutiques are very elegant and unique.

The Prime Minister of France has his offices just down the street, and this means the hotel is in a very safe part of the city.

The hotel is close to two metro stations and is centrally located on the Left Bank. Getting to any Paris destination was easy.

The Hotel Saint Germain really added to our enjoyment of this wonderful city. It is definitely a good choice.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Nate H
Reviewed April 2, 2012

First let me begin by sharing my perspective on Paris. I have posted many reviews about hotels in Paris, and I especially enjoy writing when the experience is superb. My 11th trip (coincidentally spent in chambre onze on le premier etage) was a short business stay and religious pilgrimage to l'Eglise de Medaille Miraculeuse just a few steps away on rue du bac. I wish my three days and four nights had been longer. What a pleasure to stay in such a classic hotel, in a traditional Parisian neighborhood, for such a good value. Booking ahead of time, I was able to secure a healthy discount from the standard rate. Each member of the very professional staff responded enthusiatically, politely and with a rare warmth that made me feel not only welcome as a guest, but almost like a member of the Hotel St. Germain's extended family. (Wanda, the receptionist, was as kind a person as you will ever find, in France or the US.) This hotel deserves all of the accolades for personal attention and service written in the Trip Advisor reviews. And in my case, far beyond the expected and commonplace. My room was exactly as pictured, precisely where I wished it to be, and spotlessly clean. My room faced the front of the hotel, just above the sidewalk and rue du bac, and is pictured throughout the informative website..Our hosts take great pride in their hotel, and I can't begin to describe how well I slept (the bed was perfect) and how quiet the neighborhood became after, again, eleven. Are you picking up on a theme here? When I needed several more color hard copies, 20 pages each, for a presentation I was giving at the Agence de Developpement de France, the hotel's very sharp, very cute, concierge, Laurente, leapt to the task at once. When we had some computer problems, a very competent and efficient hotel manager stepped in, solved the problem quicky, with a smile and twinkle in her eye, and made certain I was pleased with the quality of the printed copies. After we spotted that one page had a flaw, it was reprinted, as the French say, avex doucement, by the manager, who also was, as we say in the US, "easy on the eyes.". Back to business now, my copies were perfect.. And there was no additional charge on my bill. Having stayed in other less accommodating, more highly rated hotels, I can tell you a charge of upwards of $50 would not have been surprising. Breakfast was served in two lovely rooms filled with books, objets des arts and antiques. The petit dejeuner was plentiful, of fine quality, especially the baked goods and breads, and my preference for a well made cafe aux lait was met with a smile from the staff, who freely replenished it. I cannot wait to return to this magnificent, beautifully run hotel. It is worthy of at least one more star for the expert customer service and gracious charm of its staff alone. My only regret is not returning to the states with the young Laurente, who expressed a desire to visit the US again!

Room Tip: Room 11 on the first floor works well for one or two. And the bath is newly renovated,
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank bbradyesq
Hsg P, General Manager at Hotel Saint Germain, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2012

Dear Sir Brady,

Hope you are well and had a safe return home.
I would like to express my gratitude for taking time to share your experience at the hotel Saint Germain.
It was a great pleasure to welcome and assist you during your stay in our renovated hotel.
We all hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in the hotel on your next visite in Paris
Again thank you M. Bradly.
Sincerely
Virginie
Hotel Manager

Reviewed March 14, 2012

extra friendly and helpful staff, they catered to all my requests. The only thing I didn't like is that they don't have a porter to help with the luggage, and that there are no toiletries, aside from that it's very good value for your money, and on a quiet street, which was perfect for resting,

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 4, 2012

To add to my title: This hotel is newly renovated (with some work and attendant noise in the rear courtyard area still being completed) and the rooms, while small, are not as small as I have found in similar establishments in Paris. Ours was the least expensive category, but had three (small closets -- I'm not kidding!!) and a brand new beautiful bathroom.

While the room lacked a mini-bar/refrigerator, that was more than compensated for by the buffet breakfast included in the rate. Here, the staff, as the people at the front desk did, were acting like waiters working for tips!

I highly recommend this hotel if this is the type of hotel you seek.

Needless to say, the location is magnifique for either museum goers or shoppers.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank jazzafcionado
Reviewed February 17, 2012

Hotel Saint Germain is a boutique hotel. If you are looking for large, standarded rooms this isn't the place for you. However, if you are looking for a charming European hotel with character you will be very happy you choose this hotel over others.

The rooms are small, but wonderfully furnished and decorated. There are a few period pieces - wooden desk, chair, and wardrobe - and a comfortable bed. Depending on what kind of room you choose, your shower/bath can be quite small too. The front desk has an iron and iron board if you need one; they aren't in every room.

A "French" breakfast is included in the rate. Pastries, yogurt, tea/coffee, and fruit juices are included. This is one of the best continental breakfast I've ever had in a hotel. Free wifi is available too.

The location is fantastic - cafes, restaurants, and shops surround the hotel. Also, it only takes about 15 minute walk to the Louvre. The Rue du Bac metro station is less than 5 minutes away, so it is easy to get anywhere else in the city. There is an amazing French chocolate shop around the corner (Dalloyau) too.

I traveled to Paris for business with a colleague and stayed at Hotel Saint Germain for three nights. We don't speak French very well so we were especially grateful the hotel staff spoke very good English. The staff were helpful in directing us to restaurants and shopping as well as ordering us taxis.

Overall, a great hotel! I will absolutely stay here again when I am in Paris.

Room Tip: A classic room with a bath (a step above a classic room with a shower) is worth the extra money and...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business