“Not worth the price”

Hotel Baudelaire Opera
Ranked #1,216 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
“Not worth the price”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

This place gets you on location, but is not in the best neighborhood, nor is the price at all worth it. Just a few stops away you can stay at a Marriot and be more than happy and taken care of.

The staff seems nice, and is perhaps the only redeeming quality.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 14, 2013

We stayed in a triple room, with 2 twin beds together in the loft and one futon pull out. The beds were comfortable. The location provides easy access to the Metro as well as a few minutes walk to Palais Royale and the Louvre. Lots of shopping in the area, and the Opera House. There is some fabulous Japanese food available, as well as a lovely little boulangerie (Bakery) just outside the hotel where you can find delicious croissants, fresh sandwiches, apple turnovers to die for. The staff are helpful and pleasant and very willing to offer ideas and suggestions for their guests. I wouldn't personally spend the money on the breakfast - you can do better at a local cafe, unless the convenience of a coffee in the hotel really appeals to you. There is no air conditioning. That's not uncommon,but the site suggested there was, which did not appear to be the case. A window and a fan managed to keep us cool in June - but I personally wouldn't stay in July/August.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Roselle, Illinois
Reviewed April 23, 2013

My wife, a friend and I stayed in a triple room and it was perfect. There were 2 single beds next to each other in the loft area (up a spiral staircase) and a pullout bed in the main room. The beds were comfortable and clean. Our room did not have air conditioning but did have a fan which kept the temperature comfortable. The bathroom was small but efficient. The space was small but was what we expected. The wifi in our room worked very well.

The people that work the front desk were wonderful and helped provide directions, recommendations and any other services we needed.

The location is great for the Louvre (10-15 minute walk) and Notre Dame (30-40 minute walk). There were a lot of very excellent restaurants nearby; French as well and Japanese.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Washington DC
Reviewed April 6, 2013

I chose this hotel due to the location and more reasonable prices for the area. The rooms are small (it is Paris afterall which means small rooms anywhere). Location was easy to get around. 3 metro stops within a easy walk. Short walk to many main sights.

The hotel is situated in the Japanese/Asian district which means most restaurants in the area are Asian.

The hotel breakfast was not included in my online booking (that was not clear to be from their website and was an unpleasant surprise upon check in). The internet was included and very fast!

My room door had been recently installed with an automatic closing mechanism. The staff left my room open twice after cleaning it and when I returned to the hotel in the evening, my room was OPEN! Couldn't believe and complained. Luckily nothing was stolen.

Overall fine experience, nothing thrilling or notable about the hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 15, 2013

We stayed in the end of November, 2012, in a room with 2 floor. For Paris standards, it is a normal size room and good for 3 people. The bathroom is small but organized. The location is very good, near the Opera, 2 metro stations and full of good restaurants (specially Japanese).
The breakfast is typical (very good croissant), but I dont think they have any other meals in the hotel.
The really good surprise was the service: every day we got recommendations on what to do and how to reach the place, including some phone calls to book us restaurants and events or just to confirm time and schedules. And beyond that: we had some trouble with our taxi cab to the airport and all the ladies in the hotel helped (and are still helping) to solve our problem, that had no relation to the hotel. Without that help the end of our visit would be a disaster.
Thank you again and I wish you all the best!

Room Tip: The elevator is small and slow, so try to get a room in the first or second floor.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank milioli
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed January 11, 2013 via mobile

We came here with my in laws for a birthday present, and were accosted by the lady at the front desk ( she seemed like the mother of the other people working there, and English) who refused to let us check in till she had sorted out booking issues with the online site that we booked with. After two hours during which no one in the hotel offered to take our bags and told us to wait at a cafe nearby, it was finally sorted where we ended up paying double what we initially booked at online. Nice location, do not expect any service.

• Stayed October 2012
North Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I had a great time in Paris and everyone at the front desk were so helpful to me. The family owned hotel is very friendly, helpful and speak and understand english enough to help. They phoned for taxi service for me, phoned to make reservations for me, just excellent customer service. I loved staying at this hotel and will stay there again if I ever go back to Paris which I hope too. The location is really great and shopping, restaurants, and attractions are very close by. I did alot of walking. My room was great, I had the room with the loft, bedroom upstairs, old spiral staircase, everything was clean. No complaints at all. I purchased the breakfast and the coffee was excellent for what you get for the price in Paris was reasonable. Orange Juice, bagel, croissant with butter and jam plus amazing coffee with steamed milk. I fell in love with Paris and wish to be back and will stay at this hotel again. I only give the restaurant an average score because it really isn't a restaurant just a place to have a Parisian breakfast. Don't expect an American or Canadian breakfast you are in Paris expect a Parisian one.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a loft, it's fun you have a spiral staircase, and a couch downstairs to watch...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo