“price and location just right”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
BVJ Paris/Quartier Latin
Ranked #96 of 185 Specialty Lodging in Paris
Reviewed October 1, 2012

The ideal location for anyone visiting paris for a short stay hostel was good staff very friendly room was ok not too bad breakfast was good would definitely recommend to family and friends, metro very closeby buses are on route otherwise most of the atrractions are within walking distance even the eiffel tower and arch da tromph. can be a bit noisy at times because of the youth but well recommended.

Room Tip: we stayed in a double room wish was quiet good
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
14  Thank 23SHARON

Reviewed September 24, 2012

I've just returned from 4 nights in this hostel.

As per previous reviews, I received an email booking confirmation but when I arrived I was not on their paper or computer list of bookings.They were able to allocate a single room as requested (shower and basin included, shared toilet in hall) for €49 per night, full payment for the 4 nights upfront in cash was required. I was not kept awake and slept OK bar a loud clicking noise everytime another resident used their shower.

I know it's a hostel so I was expecting the room to be basic. However, it was like a prison cell with no removable contents bar a wastepaper bin. Paris was getting cold at night in late September yet there were just two thin sheets and one blanket for the bed supplied. The bed had to be made up by myself. After 3 nights I asked for the sheets to be changed but as the cleaning lady had already started for the day they didn't bother to ask her.

Except for the first receptionist, the others were not friendly and were annoyed if you asked any questions. There are no PCs available, WiFi costs €2 for 1 hour, purchased via a card (they ran out of €2 cards during my stay and demanded €5 as the only remaining option). I didn't pay and used the free WiFi in McDonald's in St Michel instead.

I never had the breakfast as it was offered only between 7:15am and 9:15am each morning and I was out late most nights. I expected it to be so basic I didn't bother.

The missing shower curtain was not a big deal as I was in a private room, however it would cost a few euro to add one and stop water from escaping out of the cubicle each time.

Best thing was the location which was excellent and the fact this hostel could be booked at short notice. Otherwise it was a rip-off for the price.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a low floor as there is no lift and only a spiral staircase.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank niallod
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Its location is exactly what I was looking for. Only 4 blocks from Notre Dame, and a short walk to the Sorbonne and the Luxembourg Gardens, I loved its position in Paris. It is nestled near a small church, and the street remains relatively quiet. The hallways and guests were also quiet and respectful. No school groups to be found. I found the staff helpful and apologetic if the desk got backed up. Breakfast was good, the small showers were refreshing, and the bed was comfy. I was pleased with my stay and plan on going back over Christmas. It's a hostel. You get what you pay for. In Paris, most lodging is overpriced. I've stayed in dank hotel rooms near Gare du L'est for 70 Euros a night. This is an option that is good for singles, couple and groups not looking to spend a lot on luxury. I was here to explore Paris, not sit in my hostel all day. I recommend it!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
22  Thank MikeDorsey90
Reviewed June 15, 2012

The title of this review may sound comic, but the appalling nature of my and my girlfriend's stay here was far from humorous. We were dead on our feet on arrival, yet were gifted disdainful looks and sighs as we asked simple questions about our stay. We were made to wait for ages while a 'shift swap' took place, despite there being several members of staff behind the counter perusing through logbooks and what have you. As an obvious, obvious couple, when we asked for a double room, we would have appreciated being told that there would be single beds. We were not. So you can imagine our surprise, no, our horror when we walked in to the 1metre square room to see that the beds were fastened to separate walls in a fashion previously seen only in Wakefield high security prison, with the wafer thin mattress a cherry on top of a rather nasty, mealy, indigestible cake of dissatisfaction. I hope whoever stays here enjoys sharing the seldom cleaned toilet more than we did, it stank, and in fact made the corridor stink - nice. One good thing is that it's in a decent bit of town, but your time in the beautiful city of Paris will be continually hampered by the constant elephant in the room that is the memory that you are staying in what is probably by all accounts the worst hostel in the northern hemisphere.

Room Tip: Stay with loads of other people. Also, I seriously suggest taking ecstasy or some other upper so as...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Thomas M
Reviewed April 11, 2012

Nice hostel, functional, clean and very well positioned. (Latin quarter)
Excellent value for money.
We booked a 10 female room and it was nice and spacious.
Good and abundant breakfast (included).
Sheets, pillow covers and blankets provided and rooms are very warm.
Spacious and functional shared spaces.
When we arrived we could not check in (because check in is after lunch like all the other hostels in Paris) but staff gave us the room key so that we could return the time that we wanted.
Staff very friendly and helpful!!
They helped me to find my lost mobile phone when I was already back in iatalia. Thanks again!
One flaw was that in our room the shower had no door or curtain that separates the sleeping area. And it's also the type of shower that only works constantly holding down the knob. But it wasn't a real problem.
I will definitely return when I'm in Paris!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
18  Thank Valentina C
Reviewed April 6, 2012

A little overpriced for what we got, but not bad. Uncomfortable beds and NO SHOWER CURTAIN IN THE BATHROOM (seriously how hard is it to buy one?) but breakfast was included. Good breakfast, too! Hot drinks, bread & rolls, many spreads for the bread, juice, etc. Computer with internet for 0.01/minute if you need it. Luggage room doesn't have a lock and the lockers are too small for most suitcases, so either take out the really important stuff to put in a locker or bring a bike lock to leave it in your room. Every reception person with whom we interacted was friendly and helpful. Location was great- cheap restaurants all around and walking distance to many metro stops & attractions. Free maps to take, a map on the wall of the metro, hang out spaces- good stuff.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
18  Thank Allison H
Reviewed March 25, 2012

I'd read other reviews before staying here, so I knew it wasn't going to be luxury. I stayed here for the location, and on that front this place delivers.
This hostel appears to primarily cater to the French. The dorm I stayed in was full of French provincial students who were studying in Paris, and they didn't want to know me.
The mattresses were thin, and the blanket (an actual woolen blanket) was scratchy.
The worst thing was the shower. It's open, and it's not clean. Worse, because of how the mirror is situated, not only is there no curtain on the shower or door on the bathroom facilities, the reflection of your naked body is reflected out for the dorm to see. There is no tap, or even push button for 30-60 seconds of water flow, you have to hold the button down continually for water. So you're showering, washing one side with one hand while the other holds the button down. To wash my hair, I had to use my butt to hold it in.
The staff were friendly enough, but they knew nothing to help a clueless tourist. They're knowledge is geared towards the student population that lives here.
The breakfasts are delicious, so there's that, but I'm really not sure the location was worth it for the standard of this hostel. I was away for 2 months, and this was simultaneously the worst hostel I stayed in and the most expensive.
Stay out in Montmarte. It's further out, but there are nicer places.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo