“Affordable, good location, average service” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Auberge Jules Ferry

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Auberge Jules Ferry
Ranked #120 of 155 Specialty Lodging in Paris
Manarola, Italia
“Affordable, good location, average service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2011

Be sure to bring flipflops for the shower. Breakfast was early and good. The location is excellent.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank Nico_bigollo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2011

This hostel situation at a very convenient location close to the major metro station. However the facilities there are quite old and need major maintenance and repairing job. Also, the WC and bathroom are not very clean. The most annoying thing is the key system in this hostel. Only one key for every room, it is a hassle for room with 6ppl. This has to be improved. Also, it gets very noisy outside at night time. Beware to get your earplug ready. The security lock in the basement for larger bag is a joke. The lockers are mostly broken. Recommend not to use them.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank talkandwalk

Travelers are raving about these Paris hotels

Halifax, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2011

I stayed in Paris with my Mother for three days at this hostel. Though the room looked like it had not been mopped in a year, we were happy to be able to be in a two person private room with a sink. It had two old chairs and a wobbling table. The room did have french doors that opened onto a small balcony, and with some minor upkeep and cleaning this could have been a nice room.
Unfourtunately for most, the clenaing/breakfast lady is a absolute nightmare. While my mother and I were amused by her bluntness and crazy antics, she offended and angered most people. The staff is awaful, perhaps except for one woman.
The security in this hostel is non exisitant as the lockers were broken and you had only one key, There is nothing stopping people from wlaking off the street and going upstairs to any of the rooms, I felt it was only eminent that I get robbed but luckily did not The computers are awful and internet expensive, breakfast dull, and the showers and toilets absolutly dreadful. They claim to be doing maintnene but looking at the other reviews shows this is a lie.
We had to move rooms our third night into a 4 bedroom dorm which we were told was female only. We came back to the hostel to find that there was a man in our room, which was quite disturbing as the mornign before the was some commotion in an anothet all female room where a man was found sleeping in their bed.
The best is still yet to come, however. As we try to come to terms with this man being in our room, at approximately 3 am a smelly, turbuculosis couch transient man comes into our room and stares in our faces while we were sleeping. We panic and alert the staff. He is a guest, they say! He has nowhere else to stay and has been hanging around the hostel for months bumming and drinking and now he is IN OUR ROOM! We struggled to go back to our room but what other choice did we have? The hostel was full and it was 3 am. He didn't sleep that night and I feared that something horrible would happen to me the whole time. At 8 am, we gathered our things and basically fled.My mother went back to the room as she forgot something, only to find the transient man fondling himself in the bed I had been in. It was truly horrifiying. The staff were surprisingly non-chalant at all of this.
STAY AWAY!

• Stayed April 2010
11 Thank kal_87
Auckland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2011

Hostel is tired and very basic, but sheets were clean, and I really don't mind old tired places. What I do mind is appalling customer service! Staff were too busy doing their own thing to care, we got yelled at for not obeying rules which did not exist (although that's good practice for life in Paris!), and generally made to feel like we were expecting the moon, which believe me we were not. My friends and I all speak French fluently, and have stayed in many hostels around the world....this place was farcical! My friend spoke to two girls from Taiwan who had been suffering severe diarrhea through the night, to the point where they were thinking of going to hospital....but staff wouldn't bend the rules to let them back into their room before the end of the cleaning period.
Good price, good location, but frankly I can't be doing with arrogant sods who think they're above working or trying to create a welcoming atmosphere.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
10 Thank Kiwifausse
Buenos Aires, Argentina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2011

I found this hostel after looking at almost ALL the hostels in the center Paris area. It was the cheapest and it seemed really cozy. When I got there, I noticed it was well located (metro, buses and bicing bikes where found near by) and the place was cheerful. The staff is a misture of french and spanish guys a bit serious at first but then, if you were nice, they were nice too. A great thing: the hostel is open 24hs! Many hostels closed at 2 am.
Really bad thing: in my room, a girl was bitten by bedbugs; however, they fumigated the room and changed the mattress. Anther bad thing: the kitchen is not fully stuffed. There are not burners and only little electric micros, not hovens.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank Camipardo
Greece
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2010

The staff is very friendly, but this hostel is the worst I've ever stayed by far! Dirty toillets, poor breakfast. It was a disgusting experience...but I was in Paris at least!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
7 Thank thekal
Birmingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2010

I stayed here with my sister for 3 days including Bastille Day. We were looking for somewhere cheap which wasn’t already fully booked and Hostel Jules Ferry fitted the criteria.
Cheap is the one word which pretty much sums up this hostel. The facilities are old, there is no other nicer way of putting it, but there are proper toilets and the showers provide hot water – so that’s a bonus and better than camping! A big negative is the lack of lifts as there is what feels like a billion stairs to climb – especially aggravating for those on the top floors, like we were.
As for calling it a youth hostel, that’s a lie as I’m sure there were people there over the age of 50! But it’s great for meeting and getting to know people from other countries – especially if you are sharing a dorm with them.
Fortunately, despite paying for a room for 6 (the cheapest option) my sister and I were allocated a room for just 2. This helped with the key situation that other people have mentioned as unfortunately, there is only one key provided for each room, which can cause problems when there are a lot of you coming in and out at different times during the day. Admittedly, this hostel was not a five star hotel – the bunk beds were basic and there was just a sink and some cracked old plastic chairs. The lack of more than one plug socket is an inconvenience – especially if you have camera/phones to charge – advice: come prepared with an extension cable! Despite that we had lovely French doors overlooking the street which were a handy at night as it gets very stuffy in the rooms!
We personally found the staff pleasant and didn’t seem to have a problem with them. They spoke good English (but our French is adequate so it didn’t really matter either way) and were willing to help us out if we needed it. The breakfast lady can come across as quite bad-tempered as the monitoring of breakfast portions is strict – no more than 2 bread rolls are allowed and you will be sternly told off if you try to take more! As well as the bread roll (available to have with butter and jam) the breakfast consisted of a cup of tea/coffee/hot chocolate/orange juice (‘avec pulpe’) and a ‘compote de fruits’. Again, cheap sums it up nicely. If you are looking for a decent breakfast there are cafés nearby.
The biggest problem with this hostel is probably the immense lack of security, but then what do you expect?! There are lockers available, we did not try them out as their complicated operating system was beyond us and the majority of them were out of order anyway. They are also a tad on the small side and you have to pay, I think, €2 each time you open and close it so it could become rather costly! Additionally, they are located in the basement, so if you are on the 5th floor you probably won’t want to lug your rucksack all the way down there multiple times during the day.
On the plus side, however, the location of the hostel is perfect! It is literally only a 5 minute walk to the ‘Republique’ metro stop which enables you to easily get anywhere in Paris.

• Stayed July 2010