“Convenient clean hotel”

Hotel Central Saint Germain
Ranked #733 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Stayed here 2 nights on a fall weekend. The hotel was exactly what I needed it to be -- a convenient base for exploring the city on foot and Metro. Short walks to Notre Dame and Luxembourg gardens, among other things. The immediate neighborhood near the Sorbonne has a few restaurants that are quieter than the very crowded and touristy neighborhood just a few minutes walk north by the Seine. There's a cinema next door and another nearby, in case that interests you! Metro connections are good here, with Cluny-La Sorbonne just a block away and connected via tunnel to the couple-blocks further Saint-Michiel. When it's rainy those tunnels can be handy!

The room was small but comfortable and clean, with a smallish queen bed, two sitting chairs, desk, bathroom, wifi, and three skinny windows overlooking the street. Lots of velvety pillows and soft wallcoverings. The hotel staff was fine, friendly, neither too passive nor too chatty (I'm not sure what staff problems other reviewers are talking about!). The breakfast buffet was not worth the cost IMO, so I bought pain chocolat down the street the second morning!

We drove here, and I must say parking is inconvenient and expensive (always true in Paris I think). The hotel has nowhere to park momentarily to check in and unload; it's on a one-way one-lane road with no extra space. When we checked out, however, I simply parked the car in the middle of the road for 5 minutes while we grabbed the bags and loaded it up, and it was no problem. I parked underground several blocks away at "Parking Maubert Collège des Bernardins" which was 26 Euro per day - cheaper than a couple of closer lots.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
centra22, Directeur général at Hotel Central Saint Germain, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

All our staff thank you for time you took to give your opinion of our hotel.

We are glad that your stay in our hotel was good and you enjoyed it. About our service of breakfast we will try to make it better, more various that for your next time you could have a wish to take it.

About the parking you are right. We are situated on the little street in the center of the town so there is no possibility to leave your car in front of the hotel. But you have a big choice of parking around, just 5 minutes to walk from the hotel. There is a possibility to leave your begs in the hotel (we have a room for it) and to go to park your car calmly.

We will be glad to see you again in our hotel and we hope that your next stay will be even better than this time !

Reviewed December 28, 2012

I recently booked a single room here on short notice, getting an excellent price via internet booking. The room was small, but very well designed, and, like the rest of the hotel, calm, quiet, lovely to look at, and comfortable in every regard. My booking gave me breakfast as part of the price, and so I stocked up on the buffet offerings before heading out for miles of walking in Paris the rest of the day. The setting is ideal, on a quiet street near metro stations, and all the color of the Quartier Latin, the restful beauty of the Jardins de Luxembourg, the Sorbonne, fantastic bookshops, St Sulpice, and more....Ideal! Finally, everyone I dealt with on the hotel staff was generous, kind, helpful, and welcoming.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank jamesday
centra22, Directeur général at Hotel Central Saint Germain, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

All our staff thank you for time you took to give your opinion of our hotel.

We were pleased to know that our service satisfied you and that the location of the hotel was ideal for you.

Our staff do the best to offer to each client the best welcome and we hope that your next time in our hotel will be even better than this time.
Hope to see you back soon !

Reviewed December 9, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for three nights and then one additional night after a short trip to Marseille. There was no heat on several of those nights and the room was freezing. My colleagues in other rooms also had this problem and I heard another person complaining about this at the front desk. The shower was moldy and the bathroom as a whole smelled gross--I had to keep the bathroom door closed at all times. I put up a no disturb sign but my room was cleaned anyway. On my one night stay, I was put in a room on the first floor (2nd for us in the U.S.) overlooking the street. There are several charming movie theaters on the same street as teh hotel. Unfortunately, this meant that there were people talking outside my window until well past 1am at which point I had to take a sleeping pill to be able to sleep. I kept asking the front desk person when they thought the people would disperse and he kept saying in 5 or so minutes.

On my first day, I arrived around 10 am at the hotel and though I had asked previously if it would be at all possible to have a room early, I was told to come back at 2pm when the official check in begins. There was no apology, no consideration, just a brisk "come back at 2 pm." I travel a lot for work and I usually find that hotels will be considerate and at least offer to clean your room first so that you can get into your room at least a little bit earlier. This was not an option here. Neither I or my colleagues will be staying here again.

Room Tip: First floor rooms facing the street are loud with Cinema customers taking smoke breaks.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Diiinka
centra22, Directeur général at Hotel Central Saint Germain, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Dear Sir, Dear Madam,

First of all we would like to thank you for time you took to give your opinion of our hotel.

We are extremely sorry for all inconvenience you had during your stay in December 2012.
We will be pleased to be able to offer to you a compensation for your next stay in our hotel with hope that it will make you forget all problems you had.

With pleasure to hear from you very soon !

We stay at your disposal.

Reviewed December 8, 2012

Exept for a very unfriendly front-desk lady who pretty much didn't care, wasn't helpful and didn't want to be bothered by me, when I came to pick up my laguage on the last day, the stuff was really good. Good location, clean, comfortable bed. The bathroom was smelly (too much moisture), but that didn't disturb much.

Room Tip: I had a courtyard room, but haven't seen a single car on that small street, so any side should b...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Magdalena B

All our staff thank you for time you took to give your opinion of our hotel.

First of all, we would like to apologize for our colleague who was not very welcoming and helpful to you. The general manager was informed of your comment and also apologize for it. the necessary options was done and we would like to inform you that it will never be repeated again.

Unfortunately we didn't know the room number that you had, to be able to fix this smell, so we will check each room as it was preview by our technical service.

We are glad that your stay in our hotel was still good, that our location was ideal for you and we hope to see you again very soon. We hope that your next time in our hotel will be even better than this time.

Reviewed November 23, 2012

This hotel was an absolute delight to stay in. We received nothing but kindness and friendliness from the staff - they were all more than happy to help in any way they could. We were even moved to a bigger room as we were staying for 3 nights.

The room itself was lovely - everything that we needed. The free safe and wifi was an added bonus (especially the safe) we felt comfortable leaving important things in the room with knowledge that they were in the safe.

The location of the hotel is perfect if it is your first time to Paris, the area is quite touristy but this is great if it is your first time as everything is accessible and easy to reach. Plus the shops/restaurants stay open late and there is a general buzz about the place especially on a Saturday night.

Thank you for a great stay!!

Room Tip: Try asking for a room on the 5th floor you get a balcony!!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jane_leader

All our staff thank you for time you took to give your opinion of our hotel.

We are very pleased to know that your stay was so good and that we could satisfied you in all your requests! It's a pleasure to know that our efforts are recompensed by such nice and kind opinions.

We promise you that your next time in our hotel will be even better than this time.

With pleasure to meet you soon again!

The management

Reviewed October 22, 2012

Small, reasonable, comfy and great breakfast at a good price. What more could you ask for? And if you are travelling alone, you're most likely to face out back where it is quiet. It's not the Maurice, but it is certainly a place to think about if you want to save some money and be comfortable.

Room Tip: Facing out front are larger rooms, the single small ones face the courtyard in the back. The ones up...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank flenart

All our staff thank you for time you took to give your opinion of our hotel.

We are pleased to know that you were satisfied of your stay and of our service in our hotel. We will be glad to see you again in our hotel very soon.

Kristina

Reviewed October 16, 2012

I was a first family trip to Paris! The receptionists were very unwelcoming. I had a family room which was really tiny, stuffy and smelly from the old carpets. During our stay in Paris it was very cold with 1 spare blanket in the room and there three beds in the room(1 double bed and 2 single beds) the blanket smelt like a dumpster. The next day I requested more blankets which never came, I had to put the single beds together so my kids could share it. would never recommend this hotel to any1.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family