“A Hidden Gem!”

Neighborhood: Tour Eiffel / Invalides
Bowmanville, Canada
“A Hidden Gem!”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

We came across the name of this restaurant as we were looking for something nice, walking distance to the Eiffel Tower, to see the Tower at night. Many other restaurants had dubious recommendations. From the moment we walked into this welcoming little spot, we were enchanted. Catherine is lovely, conversant in french and english, her wonderful laughter and chatter is part of the backdrop and the enchantment! The food was spectacular, the best fois gras pate I had eaten all week in an assortment of French restaurants. There was something on themenu for everyone. My chicken was melt in your mouth. We shared the cheesecake, fabulous, and walked it all off on our lovely stroll to the evening lights of the Eiffel Tower. What a treat! We had our two daughters with us, celebrating their 30th and 18th birthdays. What a lovely night. Thank you Catherine!

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank SharonFitzatrick

Albany,
“Oh La La....What a meal!”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

During my visit to Paris, my partner and I decided to take a cooking class. Looking on line we saw a class being offered in English at a restaurant called Reed. The class was taught by the owner Catherine Reed and it was a hands on class. There were six individuals taking the class and she taught us everything from preparing the vegetables, de-boning a chicken to making pastry puffs for dessert. The only thing I did not understand during the cooking class was that Catherine never used a timer! Her logic was to use your sense of smell. When you smell the pastry puffs then you would know that they were done. I was a little on the skeptical side but she was right. After the six students and Catherine finished making the meal, she showed us how to plate the meal to give it eye appeal. We even had the opportunity to sit and enjoy the lunch with Catherine along with a fabulous bottle of French wine.

The cooking class started at 9:30 AM and we did not leave till after 2 PM. Catherine answered many questions that we had and did not rush us out of the restaurant. Of course I realized she had to prepare for the dinner crowd that night.

I enjoyed the meal so much that my partner and I decided to go the next evening for dinner. What a great cook Catherine is and what a nice person. She even went as far as to select a wine to go with our dinner. Catherine even took some time to talk to us even though she was the cook and had only one sous-chef. She knew how to pace her time between customers. I had an appetizer foie gras which was homemade by Catherine. I have never tasted foie gras that had this much flavor. The dinner was a pumpkin risotto which was out of this world. The risotto was so creamy, so delicious and the pumpkin was arranged in pieces on the top of the risotto so it had eye appeal. All the deserts were made by Catherine herself and the chocolate mousse I had was devine. Oh La La.

My recommendation if you're looking for a restaurant while in the 7th stop in and see Catherine at Reed Restaurant. She is fluent in English and French. She has a great personality and is really helpful with your meal choices. Also if you have a chance to take her cooking class it's an experience of a life time! Everyone in the group could not praise it enough and all six of us had taken cooking classes in other European countries. It was much more personal and hands on than the very expensive class my partner and I recently took at Ballymaloe in Ireland!!

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank MiguelDiVarona
San Francisco, California, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“This Review is Long Overdue!”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

This is a review that I should have written in November, and I feel guilty of not informing other people traveling to Paris about REED. I have a rule when traveling that I will not eat at the same place twice, but Reed made me break that rule. I was first thing that captured me was the beautiful Catherine Reed and the relaxed, home like atmosphere of the restaurant. The Beef Bourguignon made from beef cheeks was superb! I was with 3 other friends and sampled from their plates and enjoyed everything I tasted. It becomes very obvious that the food was made fresh and from fresh ingredients. For desert our tabled ordered 3 to share. The lemon tart was one of the best I ever had, but the desert that brought a tear to my eye (literally!!) was the chocolate tart. The flavor combination and perfection of the crisp crust made not let the rest of the table have more than a bite.

Hats off to Catherine Reed for making break my travel rules and bringing a tear to my eye. REED is on the top of my lists of things of places to go when I return to Paris.

This is a total gem of a restaurant and should not be missed!!!

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Roger D
Madrid, Spain
“The Perfect Dinner”
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Catherine was the most charming of hosts, the food was exquisite and the atmosphere the perfect balance of cosy homely and romantic bistro. And all of this for the most phenomenal prices. You'd be hard pressed to find better value for money anywhere in Paris.

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank TheoF365
San Francisco, California
“Best night in Paris!”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

First off.....I was surprised to read the review from "anastomos". It just so happens I was at the table near by and her account of the night couldn't be further from the truth. She and her friend were rude and insisted on a table for 4, when a table for 2 was available. This is a small place, seating is in demand. They ordered ONE first course and ONE entree to SHARE. Catherine couldn't have been more accommodating. Their review should be removed from this site...it is not the truth!
My food and service was outstanding. Catherine is so friendly and takes the time to go over each item on the menu with you, and everything is seasonally fresh and tastefully prepared. I had the chicken, which was succulent ....and her homemade chocolate dessert. I will go back every trip to Paris and send my friends there as well. This is a must while in Paris !!!!

• Visited March 2013