“Great location, small shower” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel de l'Avre

Hotel de l'Avre
Ranked #656 of 1,795 Hotels in Paris
Arizona
“Great location, small shower”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

We were looking for a budget friendly hotel, but with great reviews. That seemed to be almost impossible to find in Paris! After a few friends recommended this hotel to me I decided to book since it was a good price for Paris. We found the hotel easily after emailing them for directions. It was very close to the metro which was a huge plus, also a short walk to The Eiffel Tower. The only negatives were the EXTREMELY small shower, and we had a room that faced the street which got fairly noisy in the early morning. I wish we would have paid more for the room with a tub, since it was almost impossible to shower.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Greek first
Rochester, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

I and my 17 year old daughter stayed here for 4 nights in August, 2012. For the price, this hotel can't be beat. Our room was a good enough size, clean and charming. Beds were comfortable. Bathroom was tiny but it worked. Breakfast every morning in the courtyard was fantastic. Staff was friendly and very patient with my attempts to speak French. The location was super convenient--metro stop close by, the Eiffel Tower within walking distance. The child and I did some successful clothes shopping for her in the neighborhood, and had satisfying meals in a couple neighborhood restaurants. All in all, a great place to stay for a budget-minded trip to Paris.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Buenos Aires, Argentina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

I went for a week with my husband in a low budget. It was great, Good price and everything very near. Stores, laundry station, markets, subway...everything very convenient and safe! no matter what time of the night you walked around it was a lively neighborhood. The rooms very tiny but clean and silent. The breakfast was ok. Everything clean and neat!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Athens
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

My wife and i stayed at Hotel de l' Avre during our trip in Paris at 2-6 January 2013 and the hotel lived up to our expectations. We stayed in a standard double room for € 110/night including breakfast. The hotel is situated in a very quiet street just 50m from the neartest metro station which serves 2 metro lines connecting all the major Paris attractions in a few minutes. The Eiffel Tower is in a walking distance of 10-15 min. Around the hotel there are many cafes and bistros.The hotel is charming, decorated in a traditional Parisian style with a small lounge and a breakfast hall with a view to the back garden. Our room facing the street was small but nicely decorated,double bed and a desk with a chair. The closet was rather small that can be a problem if you travel for many days and you carry many clothes. The bathroom was mediocre with a tiny shower. The breakfast was typical french. The staff was very friendly and helpful (spoke both french and english), they even provided us with a plug adaptor when asked for it.
To sum up i would recommend this hotel for its location, neighbourhood and its style.

Room Tip: choose a garden facing room for a bit more space
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank zografou
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

This was my second trip to Paris and I was very pleased with this hotel. I was totally thrilled when we walked into our room and I was just as happy after 5 days there - it is definitely a very good choice and I would go directly there if I ever found myself in Paris again.

The Good ......
- very good price for the area
- very clean with excellent housekeeping
- 24 hour front desk with fluent English staff
- very pretty and bright, not dated and tacky
- good location near the Eiffel Tower and everything you need nearby - groceries, McDonalds, cafes

The Bad .......
- some echoing noise from the street at night (scooters and people walking) but nothing extreme
- sheer curtains in the bathroom which faces apartments - don't turn the lights on at night!
- the toilet was tucked into a corner so you had to kind of sit at an angle

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Courtney C
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2012

We chose to stay at this hotel because it was about half the price of other hotels in the area, and it had solid reviews on TripAdvisor. The hotel lived up to our expectations. We stayed in a "double room with a garden view" for 110 Euros/night. The room was on the small side, but adequate, nicely decorated, and clean. The bathroom was spacious, and also clean. The one unexpected downside was that the church next to the hotel was having some sort of dance party one of the nights that we stayed at the hotel, so our garden view room (which we booked hoping to have a quiet stay) was not so quiet that night. I'm not convinced that it is worth the extra money to pay for a garden view room. The hotel is not on a particularly busy road (but I assume there is still some street noise).

Previous reviewers have correctly noted that the hotel is very close to the Eiffel tower (10-15 minutes) and the La Motte-Picquet-Grenelle metro stop (2 minutes), making it a good home base for Paris sightseeing.

The breakfast (not included) is not the best deal at 9.50 euros, but was pretty good (croissant, bread, jam, yoghurt, apple sauce, coffee, juice).

The staff is friendly and helpful.

Overall, I felt that the hotel was a good value for the price that we paid.

Room Tip: Not sure that the garden rooms are worth it. Higher floors are probably nicer. The hotel has an el...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TCTraveler1983
Adelaide
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

I chose Hotel de l'Avre after reading reviews on TripAdvisor. My single room was comfortable and affordable. While not huge, the room was an adequate size for a solo traveller. I will say that I found the shower quite small though (and I'm not a big person). I'd recommend taking your own shampoo and conditioner as the room as the room did not provide it.

I booked online but payment was only taken when I checked out. The staff were friendly and catered for my lack of French. I was able to keep my bags in the hotel after checking out which I think is important.

When leaving your room you need to hand your key to the reception. This wasn't really explained until someone caught me leaving one night. You also need to ring a bell when you want to enter the hotel.

I didn't find any outside noise disruptive, however I could hear someone snoring in the room next to me!!

The hotel also has free WiFi - you just need to ask the reception for the password.

There is a subway station within a 2 minute walk from the hotel and the Eiffel Tower is about a 20 minute walk away.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo