“Perfect location, nice hotel”
Review of Hotel Le Regent

Hotel Le Regent
Ranked #726 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed October 26, 2011

We loved staying here. It's in the midst of the St. Germain area: near the boulevard, just off the Rue de Buci open marketplace, easy walk to the river. We got a pretty room, spacious and airy, with 2 twins that you could push together to form a king bed. Wanted a street view, made sure we wouldn't be looking out on a roof or shaft. Everything was super clean, which is very important to me. Staff was pleasant and helpful, breakfast was the usual delicious baguette and croissant with coffee. Best thing is the location -- you can walk almost anywhere, and it's near the Metro if you need to go far. Hundreds of restaurants and cafes to walk to. We've recommended it to friends and we'd definitely stay here again. The 6th is our favorite area and this is the perfect base to explore the city.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LATraveler1727
There are newer reviews for Hotel Le Regent

Reviewed October 24, 2011

Ok, well I will premise my feedback with my scenario: I am an American who travelled to Paris for the first time with my wife. We got a Deluxe room (#42) for 7 nights and primarily chose Le Regent because of the stellar feedback on Tripadvisor. It was a great trip but we only used the hotel to sleep in since we were out being tourists all day and evening. With that said, 235 euros a night is a bit pricey for using it maybe 9 or 10 hours of the day.

The staff was wonderful, spoke good English and entertained our poor French. They made suggestions and asked us for our feedback on activities we did. Room was very clean and made nicely each day.

I would say the location is pretty good like most reviews. The metro was close (we usually walked to the St Michel station since the walk was nice and there are more trains out of that station over Odeon which may be a little closer). I would also add, since this was one of my big questions, is that I always felt safe in and around the neighborhood.

The main CON is that we had a street side room (by choice) that looked out on Rue Dauphine which was a very great view BUT the street noise was terrible. I woke up each night to something, whether it was people yelling or trash trucks and even 6AM construction of some sort a couple buildings down. The windows in our room were not very soundproof. I literally listened to a conversation on the street one night while i laid in bed with the windows shut. And we were on the 5th floor! And i dont have some sort of bionic super strong hearing! I ended up playing music on my iPod and going back to sleep. This didn't ruin my stay, but it is a little disconcerting that I pay $300+ (american dollars) a night in a great neighborhood and have trouble sleeping because of noise. **I will say that I did not bring this issue up with the hotel, because the hotel was close to full, we were already settled, and we didn't want to be those Americans that complained about everything!

My advice to anyone in my situation or close to it, evaluate how much time you want to spend in a hotel. There are cheaper options that are either not as extravagant or further away. If a hotel is just a room to sleep in and take a shower, like it was for us, we would probably stayed somewhere else or have chosen the smaller room. The metro is highly reliable and useful, but it is nice to be close and be able to walk places instead. But on the flip side, if you aren't on a tight budget, Le Regent is almost flawless, maybe ask for an interior room, or ask about street noise feedback in the room you are in.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Kevin M
Reviewed October 22, 2011

Stayed at this hotel for 6 nights in October 2011, based on positive reviews read here. Unfortunately, the hotel did not live up to expectations in all fields. After previously having stayed at centrally located hotels in big cities, I decided to book a (standard) double room even though I was travelling on my own. This was done to avoid being given a very small cell-like room (something which I have experienced more than once). Nevertheless, the room allotted to me at the Regent Hotel was definitely the smallest I have ever had. Although it was fully equipped with all necessary amenities, there was virtually no room to stand up in. Even worse, the toilet was almost impossible to sit on as it was positioned very closely to the opposite wall. Knees and forehead actually touched this wall when using the toilet (I am of average height, if you are wondering). Having said this, the hotel is well appointed, clean, about a two minute walk from the Odeon Metro station and in the middle of the Saint Germain / Latin Quarter area, giving easy access to Paris' attractions and being situated in a main nightlife area (the later causing a bit of street noise at night, especially since the hotel faces a rather main street). The staff was very helpful and spoke fluent English.

Since the Metro system in Paris is extremely efficient, I would opt for a higher notch hotel away from the centre of town which could be booked for a similar price (I paid 144 Euros per night at the Regent for a standard double room. A continental breakfast is an additional 14 Euros and a full English one 18. There are many dining options in the hotel's immediate area for less).

All in all, and judging by other reviews, if you do decide to stay at this hotel, book a Superior Deluxe room and not a standard double, although in my opinion, it is way overpriced in any case.

Room Tip: Standard Double was much too small for even one person. Try a larger room.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank RannTel-Aviv
Reviewed October 15, 2011

My husband, sister-in-law and I had a wonderful stay at Hotel Le Regent recently. The location was excellent - just a short walk to The Louvre, Musee D'Orsay, Notre Dame, and tour cruises on the Seine. There were lots of excellent cafes around the hotel, so we never had any trouble finding something good to eat. The room was very clean, and was a decent size. We reserved a Superior Deluxe room so we could all share one room. It was a little tight with the extra bed in there, but was bigger than we expected it would be. The bathroom was a nice size, and the shower had great water pressure, which was nice after long days of sightseeing. Our room overlooked the street, and there was some noise from the cafes, but it was not bad, although our visit was during the week, so I don't know if it would have been a problem on the weekend. The hotel staff were all extremely helpful, particularly Elias. He gave us perfect directions for getting to several sights, including the Seine cruise, and a trip to Versailles, and provided recommendations for other things to see and places to eat. The price seemed comparable to other hotels that I looked at, and the great location makes it an even better value. The only negatives were the very small elevator (luckily we were on the 2nd floor, so only had to use the elevator for our arrival and departure when we had our luggage) and the slowness of the internet connection. We would definitely stay here again for a future visit, and have recommended the hotel to friends.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Constance W
Reviewed October 2, 2011

Unfortunately my husband took ill in Paris and the best place to be was at hotel le regent. Elias at the front desk was superb in every aspect of the word, over the 2 nights, he organized a doctor, sent us to the American hospital, waited for us to finish dinner at an incredibly late hour before locking up and going to bed himself. He went above and beyond the call of duty. And for that we are really grateful
We didn't have breakfast in the hotel but everything else was great. The rooms are small but clean and beautifully decorated. Perfect location.
Would definitely recommend to my friends and stay there myself again.

• Stayed: September 2011
3  Thank Glynne F
Reviewed September 15, 2011

The hotel is in the heart of Saint Germain. Nearby metro stations are Saint Germain and Odeon. Lots of Café, Brasseries, fine restaurants, bakeries, cheese shops, chocolate shops, banks, exchange places, all within walking distance. Loved sitting at a café and do people-watching (very fashionable people) over a glass of wine. Louvre, Notre Dame, Saint-Germain, all nearby. Free Wi-Fi. The staff spoke very good English, yet appreciated your effort to talk a little in French. I felt welcomed. I could not ask more for a hotel, and next time I got to Paris I will stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank cranapple5
Reviewed September 13, 2011

If you're out of options or considering sleeping on the street.
- First time when I arrived very late after a full day, the clerk new my name, which was great and worrying. Apparently someone decided to extend their stay, the hotel was otherwise booked, so gracefully they punted me to another hotel. The clerk gave such directions that I spent spying the streets for the other hotel for the next hour. Around midnight he agreed to finally show me where that was. Of course, I had to pack and return the next day.
- When I arrived, I found a very small room (typical to this area), inhuman work desk and split single beds. No biggie. With the exception that I needed to work. The hotel says there is wifi. There certainly is wifi router, but the connection is...say dial-up speed? and disconnects every minute. In short, if you want to connect to the web, this is not the place for you.
- From the 3rd floor, you can hear people whispering in the street, it's insane. This is a touristy area that doesn't quiet down ever. If you want to get some sleep into you, this is not it.

The good news is the location, it is in the heart of a restaurant/bar area. Fun for people who don't need rest.

Of course, other than the night clerk expressing regrets, there is no compensation or anything to make you feel better. They could not care less.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business