“Basic Lodging”
Review of Hotel Jules Cesar

Hotel Jules Cesar
Ranked #1,162 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed December 19, 2006

I stayed at the Hotel Jules Cesar for 2 nights in October whilst travelling with a friend throughout Wales, England, and France.

As a means of keeping our budget under control, we decided to settle for cheaper lodging while visiting Paris.

Accomodations are basic at the Jules Cesar. My friend and I barely spent any time at the hotel, other than to sleep, so we didn't require much from the hotel other than a bed to sleep on.

Here's a basic overview of the positives and negatives of this hotel:

Pro's:
-Great value in terms of pricing vs. what one gets
-Location: quite close to Gare de Lyon Station (a hub for transit in Paris)
-Staff were bilingual and spoke English, which came in handy because my French is not perfect.
-Fairly good bathroom

Con's:
-Outdated decor
-Small uncomfortable beds
-Extremely tiny elevator (but at least they have one)

Conclusion:
Great place to stay for the budget concsious traveller in Paris. I personally would like to see the owners update this hotel. With some interior and design renovation, this hotel would be amazing.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Resort_Employee

Reviewed September 8, 2006

This hotel is a budget 2 star hotel with basic amenities (AC, heating, TV, ensuite bathroom, telephone) not much of décor. The rooms including the bathroom & toilet were small but adequate in size and clean. The bathroom door did not lock but we did not have a problem. The bedsheets and towels were clean and regularly replaced. The room was cleaned every day and the hotel staff were very helpful. We did not have breakfast at the hotel so we can’t say anything about that (Cost €6). There was a TV in the room with remote – 7 channels of which only one was English (CNN) rest French, but I guess you don’t travel to Paris to watch TV so it doesn’t bother much.
Beware about the lift, its small, really small.
The neighborhood was safe and quiet with lot of shops, ATMs , grocery stores & eateries (French, Italian, Indian, and Chinese) near by. Though the hotel provides Wifi we did not use it, charges extra, but there is an internet café in the neighborhood (10 cents / min ; €5 /hr). There were 3 metro stations nearby (Bastille, Gare de Lyon and Quai de la Rapee).
For the price (€60-70) I think the hotel is quite satisfactory.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sanjoy
Reviewed August 22, 2006

Nice hotel for a reasonable price, good location, friendly staff. I would stay there again if I ever get back to Paris.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled solo
Reviewed October 20, 2005

This was my first time in Paris. Before I came, some of my friends warn me about the 2 star hotels in the city, claiming they are dirty, noisy and with unfriendly staff. When I got to Jules Cesar hotel I could prove them wrong.

The Hotel has great personnel, and they were always willing to help, and give good advices about where to eat, where to hang out and more.
We booked the hotel for only three nights, just to be safe, but after the second night we've decided to stay all our 9 nights there

The hotel is located between Place de Bastille and Gare de Lion so you will have 2 big metro stations (5-7 min walking).

Our room had a street view, but since it also had a double window, we could enjoy the view without the noise. The room wasn't big but it was clean and had a private WC/Shower, phone, TV and a satisfying bed. Sometimes we heard noises of people walking in the corridor, but it was reasonable.

I know I'll go back to Jules Cesar hotel next time I'm in Paris (hopefully next year).

• Stayed: October 2005
10  Thank Erez O
Buenos Aires
Reviewed October 12, 2005

It was a time ago , me and my girlfriend looking for shelter when we found this nice hotel near Gare d Lyon. Years after, still remember walking down the streets to find some relax in its rooms , and the very well manered personnel.
It may look (and be) a little dated, but everyone knows what to expect for a cheap budget hotel. So, I think you may like it if you are looking for a nice place to stay , but not to live , Uh?

• Stayed: April 2005
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Toronto
Reviewed January 10, 2005

I booked a holiday with eight girlfriends and we stayed at this hotel! It was a perfect location for us as we walked to the train station daily. The price was very good for Paris and while the rooms were small...we were not there for very long. If we go back...we will stay here again!

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Holland
Reviewed September 18, 2004

Easily accesable trhough the Net, Jules Cesar appeared to be just one of these typical Parisien Hotels where you would have felt at ease with a low budget and no previous hotel experience. We took it because of the nice but probably not 100% representative pictures and let's be honest the modest price. The rooms were extremely noisy and allowed us to to overhear a couple of neighbours. Not all lamps were working, unpractical when you arrive at midnight and Jules C. can certainly use some Holliday Inn standard cleaning drills. However the location is good and when you are just there to sleep plug you ears, close you eyes and doze away.

TIP: park your car at the parking of Opera la Bastille they have quite good tariffs.

• Stayed: September 2004