“Fabulous find”

Ranked #454 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Fabulous find”
Reviewed May 7, 2010

Great location on a quiet street, close to Luxembourg Gardens and the Metro. If you're taking the train from CDG airport into the city this hotel is an easy walk from the Luxembourg stop. The beds were very comfortable beds, the room was clean and offered good storage space, the staff were helpful and friendly, the breakfast buffet offered a great variety of hot and cold foods. This is a gem!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank AMdsgn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Kildare
Reviewed April 22, 2010

This will be a strange one: reading the good reviews from fellow visitors to Paris here on Tripadvisor led me to want to stay in this hotel. My girlfriend booked me online as I think most of us do these days. Anyway events in Iceland changed everything. We watched day by day and wondered hour by hour just what was happening in the skies with airports not open till 7am; then not open until 5pm; then 9 pm then 7 am the next morning and so on. I first emailed this hotel and told them I was worried I would not make it to Paris. My second email confirmed that I couldn't make it having missed out on chances of getting a ferry to London and the Eurostar to Paris (I live in County Kildare here in Ireland). But my third email included my new flight dates and times and asked them to put me up for another night-so now I would stay four nights instead of the original three. I got no reply to any of these emails until I was told that -and I quote- "Despite the circumstances the first night will not be refundable." I was angered by this and wrote to tell them that this was unfair given the extraordinary events that happened in grounding all flights in Northern Europe. Their general manager then sent me an email saying it was beyond his power to refund anyone, this was hotel policy and so on.

I wasn't looking for a refund-I was seeking to move my booking and add on another night's business for him and this hotel.
I worked for 15 years in hotels in Dublin-including three 5 Star Hotels in Dublin (Jurys Hotel, Ballsbridge; The Berkeley Cort Hotel; and The Shelbourne Hotel)-and know that this is simply not true. I told him that I had acted in good faith and that clinging to "policy" during these extraordinary times was morally questionable, showed a real poverty of spirit and a true lack of integrity.

Bernard Clarke

Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
11 Thank BernardClarke
Boston
Reviewed March 24, 2010

Grand Hotel des Balcons is such a great hotel. I really enjoyed my stay here, and I will book here again in the future. The ambiance was wonderful, and I really felt at home. The little balconies are so nice to go out on and look at the quiet street below. The view was very good, and the room was comfortable.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank Ilovetotravel28
East Coast, US
Reviewed March 13, 2010

Clean, comfortable and perfect location.

We would definitely come back here. I'm a bit late posting this review as I've just now joined Trip Advisor a year later, but this site was very helpful in assisting me to find this hotel, so I wanted to add my review.

If you want luxury, this isn't the spot, but its still a lovely stay.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank EastCoastTravelers30
Tulsk Ireland
Reviewed February 24, 2010

This was our 9th year to visit Paris , so we had some idea what to expect from our Hotel
Every year we choose a different hotelbased mainly on our observations whilst there but also from Trip advisor reviews.
Yes the room was small , they always are , but this hotel excelled in cleanliness , friendleness, and despite the previous review about "Breakfeast" we found it to be by far the best we have experienced in 9 years.
My wife is a Coeliac and unfortunately had not brought her own bread , but nothing was too much trouble for the staff , who arranged ( I think with the owner) to have Buck wheat Crackers " available on our second day.
We do not need the 4* facilities of bars and restaurants , or lounge areas , but we do look for an hotel where we feel welcome and appreciated and Grand Hotel des Balcons
delivers all of this without compromise.
So next year we will break with tradition and return here again.
John & Gillian Clark Ireland

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank medic63TulskIreland
London UK
Reviewed February 1, 2010

My husband and I just visited Paris for a long weekend for our 15th wedding anniversary, and found ourselves on a budget due to the dire exchange rate of the pound to the euro. We saved 10% by choosing an advance booking deal on the hotel website, though this is not refundable if you cancel. OK, our room and bathroom were tiny, and if one of us was walking around the other had to sit still so we didn't keep bashing into each other, but the bed was very comfortable and the whole place absolutely spotless. You can hear creaking floorboards, etc, but luckily there are no bars in this street with the noisy late night crowds that causes. I thought for about £100 a night it could not be beaten in this excellent location. Ironically the only disappointment was the reason I chose it in the first place over several others - we went down for the buffet breakfast a full 40 minutes before it ended and there was mayhem. The few free spaces were occupied by dirty trays. The supply of food was running low and we had to stand around helplessly for at least 10 minutes unable to serve ourselves because there were no plates, and we asked twice. The buffet area is very cramped if more than about 2 people are up there. The coffee machine was very slow and it wasn't up to much when it did arrive in the cup. Having breakfast here was a stressful let down, we skipped it the second day.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Hoocha
Virginia Beach, VA
Reviewed November 19, 2009

Great location, though that's relative, of course, depending on what you want. But it's quite central in Paris, which was nice. The balconies were definitely charming, though pretty much every window in Paris seems to have a similar, small balcony. The negative things other reviewers talk about (small elevator, no shower curtain) are pretty typical for France, so it's hard to say they're a negative for this hotel in particular. The staff, though not overly nice, was helpful when we needed them to be, and everyone we encountered spoke English without a problem. Our room wasn't as small as expected, after having read other reviews before we went. When we checked in, the man said he'd given us a free upgrade, and I thought he was kidding, but maybe not. It was a nice size (for a European hotel, at least).
Overall, I'd say it's absolutely a great value and worth the stay. Definitely no frills, but still nice.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple