“Prefect Hotel !”

Grand Hotel des Balcons
Ranked #580 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in the Grande Hotel des Balcons for 5 nights in May. Overall, my stay was excellent. The location is prime and I couldn't beat the price! The hotel is down the block from the Odeon theater and Luxembourg Gardens. The street is right off of blvd St. Germaine so there were plenty of restaurants in the area as well as many options for shopping. As I like to walk, I found that the hotel was in walking distance to most major sites. Norte Dame is a 5 minute walk , the louvre about 10 minutes, the Eiffel Tower was a bit longer of a walk but it was still doable. If walking isn't your thing, the Odeon metro stop is located right down the block from the hotel and the St. Michel RER stop is about 5 minutes away (on foot). I reserved a twin room for my friend and I. The room was extremely spacious. I have stayed in other hotels throughout Europe and I found this one to be larger than most. It was also clean. I read other reviews that mention the lack of shower curtains in the bathroom and that was for sure not true. The room had modern amenities and even included a blow dryer. I opted for the breakfast option. The selection of of food was decent. There were eggs, potatoes, bacon/sausages, croissants, breads, baguettes, meats & cheeses. There was also fruit and a selection of coffees, tea & hot chocolate. The only slightly negative thing that I would like to mention is that after a certain hour in the late night, the hotel locks the front door and the only way in is by ringing the doorbell until you receive an answer. Now- while I understand that this might be beneficial for the safety of all hotel guests, as 2 young women traveling alone, it did not sit well with me that I did not have access to enter my hotel whenever I wanted. I returned to the hotel after a tour at about 130am and had to ring the bell multiple times before being let in. If you don't plan on saying out late, then you shouldn't have any problems ! Again, the hotel was fabulous. I will surely be staying there again !

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank DaniTraveler028

Reviewed May 25, 2013

We recently stayed at the Grand Hotel des Balcons for four nights. The location is amazing. The rooms are very very small (typical for Paris) but clean. The breakfast was delicious and included eggs, bacon, sausages, croissants, bread, cheeses and several meats. Also juices and coffee. The one negative is that there is no in room safe and you need to leave your key at the front desk. Otherwise a great find at a reasonable price.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony on the front of the hotel. Great view of the Odeon Theatre.
2  Thank LinaMac
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I would happily stay here again. Everything positive reported about this hotel is accurate. Don't miss the outstanding breakfast! Also, the staff is helpful...I had a sticky problem in that my wallet was stolen on the bus and I had to replace my passport and arrange for someone else to pay my bill...they were most supportive.
My advice for Paris is to carry only money and cards absolutely essential, immediately after you arrive.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the inner courtyard, which is especially quiet.
2  Thank idthomas
Reviewed May 18, 2013

The hotel provides simple yet clean and comfortable rooms at a great price. I have stayed here a few times on short business trips to Paris. This time on holiday with my wife we had a one night stay and would have happily made it longer if time permitted. We found our room on the third floor was quiet. Steps away from the Luxembourg Gardens and Metro station is a big plus. The historical Polidor restaurant is just around the corner on Racine, for a fun meal. The Balcons staff are generally friendly and helpful.

2  Thank Doodletop
Reviewed May 13, 2013

This excellent hotel is located steps away from the Luxembourg Gardens and Odeon on a quiet street. Located near both a Metro stop, to get to anywhere in the city, or to the RER stop, which can take you to Versailles or to Charles de Gaulle airport. The room is functional, very clean and reasonably priced considering you are in Paris. Had little interaction with the desk staff, but they can recommend good restaurants in the area (try Brasserie Bouillon Racine, on Rue Racine especially if you like foie gras). This being my second time staying at this hotel, it surely did not disappoint. If you need a hotel in Paris, this hotel may be just the place you are looking for.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank ArnieM
Reviewed May 13, 2013

This hotel was a recommendation from a friend of mine who has probably been to Paris at least 40 times. When I arrived at the hotel I was first taken in by its charm and amazing location. It is in an area where one will find many locals versus tourist and yet steps from a Metro, where we easily navigated this beautiful city. The staff were friendly and accommodating and the rooms were extremely clean. I will absolutely come back on my next trip to Paris.

Room Tip: Double room is literally twin beds side by side, so make sure you truly like the person you are trav...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Car0line611
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Great if you want a safe central location but on a quiet street, with clean rooms and friendly staff for a reasonable price. Yes hotel/rooms aren't huge but its Paris and everything tends to be poky. The lift is especially small but it has one! Only negative is noise from inside hotel- paper thin walls but again its to be expected and I had no problems sleeping. We booked an Elegant double which just means it's a bit bigger. Wifi was free and no problems connecting. We didn't take breakfast so can't comment on that. easy 5-10 walk to metro/RER and lots of restaurants/cafes. Overall great place to crash after exploring Paris. Wouldn't hestitate to recommend or go back myself.

2  Thank Maria882