“very noisy” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1,151 of 1,795 Hotels in Paris
London, United Kingdom
“very noisy”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2009

we found the hotel very noisy and after requesting a quiet room in our booking e mail found that we had probably the noisiest room (ground floor,next to the slamming door) we immediatey changed rooms to the 3rd floor but it still very noisy as it still over looked the courtyard restaurant which stayed open till after midnight.
the rooms were very dilapidated but clean but the bed was very hard and small.
the price was 70 euros a night very cheap for paris so i suppose you get what you pay for!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
London, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2009

I stayed here before a few years ago but the rooms are a lot more basic than I remembered. Definitely not for people with luxurious tastes but if you are looking for an affordable option in a convenient location this is a good place to day. Clean and simply furnished rooms that can be noisy at night if the bar below is open late. However be prepared to be woken up early by the cleaners or late at night if people coming back late as can hear everything from the corridor. Relaxed and upcoming neighborhood 2 minutes walk to metro with good links to center. Free wifi is a good bonus as is the bistro next door. Good value but not for light or fussy sleepers.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank gambarre
India
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2009

The rooms are horrible. Nothing compared to the rooms as shown on their website. Small, unclean, dingy with small bed. Gave us a room on the ground floor where the windows opened in the pub outside where people will keep drinking and talking till late night. No privacy. We had booked for three nights but moved out after one night.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Karismatic22

Travelers are raving about these Paris hotels

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed at Hotel Eldorado in early June for 4 nights. I think I expected a lot from it (from the reviews) and found that it did not completely meet those expectations. I would give 3 1/2 star but that isn't an option, so 3 it is.

To start with, the location is not perfect, but is good enough. It is not in the 5th or 6th, but in the 17th. The neighbourhood is interesting, a different side of Paris. It is very close to Montmarte, we thought we had to take the metro, but ended up walking and took around 25 mins to reach Sacre Coeur. I thought Montmarte was lovely though. For most of tourist sites, you can walk from the hotel - we walked all the way to Place de la Concorde one morning and only took 40 mins or so with some wandering around Rue Royal and in the Laudree store. hotel is pretty easy to find, get off at the Place de Clincy metro stop, find rue de Clincy and a 3 min walk will take you to Rue des Dames (spelling?) take a left there, and the hotel is on your right hand side within a 2 min walk. There are restaurants around and a very good bakery just up the street as well.

Cleanliness: that's where my issue comes in. The room we stayed in (No. 24) was decent, the hotel building seems quite old so we weren't expecting brand new things. The room we had have an ensuite bathroom with a shower, but honestly I would rather have taken a room w/o one for less and use the shower down the hall. Why? The shower ceiling was quite horrifying. It was all mouldy and the top layer of paint or dry wall was starting to have a "bubbling" look. That really bothered me. Otherwise the washroom was fairly clean. After our first shower though, we realized why the ceiling was like that - the room has very poor circulation, every glass/mirror surface steamed up after a shower. We had to open the windows afterwards. The room was small by north american standards, but that's totally fine with us.

We did not eat at the restaurant, but it seemed to have a lively atmosphere. We booked for a room that faces the courtyard, upon arrival however, we realized the room was facing the street. We then went downstairs and talked to the receptionist, who mentioned that the room we reserved was under rennovation (No. 11) and No. 24 was the only other available room at 75 euros per night but they were going to charge us 70 instead b/c that was what we reserved for. So that was good.

The people at the hotel are very nice so that's definitely a plus.

We got glimpses of other rooms in the building and have decided that the only way to do is to stay in a room facing the courtyard :) as the other rooms facing the street can get noisy at night with the windows open. And windows open might be your only option in the summer b/c there is no air conditioning. We like the decorations and thought it was charming.

The services or amenities are bare minimum, no phone, tv, air conditioning or elevator. But that wasn't a problem for us. But! it has wi-fi! you just need to ask the receptionist for the password.

So in the end, I would recommend Hotel Eldorado, but try to reserve a courtyard facing room.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ColourOfAbsence
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2009

Unfortunately (for travellers) the El Dorado is a victim of their own success. I have stayed a few times at El Dorado on trips to Paris, but many more times I have been turned away as it is full. Admittedly I often leave my booking to the last minute so this probably has something to do with it! I have always enjoyed my stays at El Dorado - I love the courtyard and the little bistrot. The neighbourhood isn't the best but nice enough. What I have found though is that the rooms are a bit variable. Some are really nice and quiet (facing the courtyard) and others are much worse with a lot of street noise. I guess it's luck of the draw really. I'm sure the description "shabby chic" has been used many times for El Dorado and it basically sums it up. Don't stay here if you are picky about ironed white sheets and fluffy towels. But if you like a place with some character and charm this is for you!

• Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2009

I stayed at Eldorado for two nights and enjoyed the value for money. My bed was comfy and the service was friendly. However my room was very noisy and smokey. It seems like people smoke all over the hotel. Next time I would definately get a courtyard facing room. Their courtyard restaurant is lovely. For breakfast I would go elsewhere. You can get better croissants and service in any bakery nearby (It took half an hour to get a coffee and a croissant in a half empty restaurant!).

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank N_Foodie
Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2009

I enjoyed Hotel Eldorado, I liked its authentic nature, its earthiness. The rooms are fine, service is good, but the attraction is defintiely a feeling of the cool Paris, the off-beat Paris, perhaps even the real Paris.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple