“Quiet and Pleasant Neighborhood Restaurant”
Review of Restaurant du Luxembourg - CLOSED

Restaurant du Luxembourg
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Saint-Germain-des-Pres
Calgary, Canada
“Quiet and Pleasant Neighborhood Restaurant”
Reviewed June 30, 2012

After a long day and flight it was VERY nice to sit down and enjoy some very good and authentique French cuisine.
Located in the 6th arrondisement and situated close to our apartment rental we sat down to
a wonderful and very well prepared meal. We started with an order of "Rillettes de Thon" fresh tuna spread served with a fresh order of bread. For entrees, my wife ordered the "Cuisse de Lapin" pan fried rabbit thigh served with fresh garden potatoes and garlic cloves. Cooked to perfection not over done, still tender with the meat falling from the bone. My self, ordered the
"Parmentier du Canard" duck style shepards pie served with a fresh garden salad. The mashed potatoe topping was very creamy, slightly browned and the shredded duck filling moist and again cooked to perfection. The salad was crisp and fresh.
For a Saturday night in Paris and not having a dinner reservation I would highly recommend "Restaurant Du Luxembourg" pleasant and friendly staff, VERY GOOD food.

• Visited July 2012

Paris, France
“Hip neighborhood restaurant, fresh fare, pleasant service”
Reviewed May 13, 2012

We live nearby. To get to the restaurant you walk by the building where Gertrude and Leo Stein collected, entertained, and influenced the progression of modern art. The neighborhood is quiet in the evenings and although the restaurant is sleek and trendy, some evenings can be slow. Upside, one can almost always get a table by walking in. The food is good: there is always a soup, a vegetarian dish, and several slow-cooked French classics prepared with fresh products; the menu changes regularly. Reports are that it can be uneven, and I would certainly avoid the "steak tartare" that should be eaten only in a restaurant that guarantees it is cut by hand. We come at least once a month and have always left feeling pampered and satisfied. The house wines are excellent and reasonably priced. While there are virtually no tourists, you can encounter known French intellectuals and politicians on almost every visit, given the proximity of publishing houses and universities.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank AlexaD
Charleston, SC
“Pleasant dinner”
Reviewed April 28, 2012

Our food and service was good. My wife had the rabbit which was excellent. Our daughter had a plate of beautiful white asparagus and I had salmon, all of which was very good. The proprietor was very attentive. We had just arrived in Paris, staying in an apartment nearby. We were tired and had dinner early in the evening. Good but not great.

• Visited April 2012
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Lovely experience, great food, welcoming atmosphere!”
Reviewed February 6, 2012

My wife and I have lived here for six months, and first ate here when we were apartment hunting in April, 2011. Since then, we've returned repeatedly both alone, for a romantic dinner, as well as with guests. I'd say, on average, almost once a month. Given how many good restaurants exist in Paris, that in itself is a high recommendation.

The food is lovely and seasonal. Best of all, though, this is not your typical overly stuffy, formal type of place. The restaurant manages to serve great food in a relaxed atmosphere. In fact, one of the reasons we love it and keep coming back is that the staff, starting with the manager, are always so friendly and open, whether one's speaking English or French (which I do, but badly --- and they are always the soul of patience with me, thank goodness!).

• Visited January 2012
London
“Promises but does not deliver”
Reviewed November 28, 2011

I ate here with my wife on Saturday night and I'm afraid I do not agree with the above reviewer.

The menu reads well including what appear to be well thought out items such as 7 hour roast shoulder of lamb and pig trotters with capers and lemon. The place looks inviting and the staff are friendly enough.

Unfortunately, the atmosphere was non-existent. There were only about four other diners there and the lighting was too dark. Some places manage to create an ambience even without a large number of people but 'Luxembourg' struggled. The room felt cold and dark; the music played out was generic western pop that made me think the proprietors weren't really bothered.

The food plunged the evening into further darkness. Prices are higher than similar restaurants in the area and the food does not justify the cost. I ordered the most expensive starter - fois gras, served as an over chilled slab with a piece of bread for 14 euros. The coldness killed any flavour of the fois gras.

The main course, the aforementioned lamb, was luke-warm and verging on cold and the meat had been shredded and packed into a small filo parcel meaning that it was overly dry.

I ordered a half litre of Bordeaux (16.50 Euros) to accompany the main which was almost undrinkable. All in all, a very disappointing evening that didn't come particularly cheaply.

I was somewhat disheartened with the modern Paris dining experience but was relieved, the following day, to find somewhere still serving good quality classic bistro fayre...try Cafe des Musees just near the Marais; a different world.

• Visited November 2011