All reviewsmarie helenegreat locationrooms are basicclean bathroomaround the cornerwalking distancewould stay againrestaurants and barsnotre damelovely hotelhotel is locatedcroissantsmaraiscurtainsstreetpompidoumetro
Reviewed May 1, 2012

This was my third stay at the Vieux Marais, and I would stay there again. In Sept 2011, the lobby appeared to be the final stages of construction (they were painting gold leaf on the wall trim, and preparing to lay floor tile) - but once you hop on the elevator to your room, you'll find clean rooms and comfortable beds. The decor is plain and simple, which I'm fine with - the only time I'm there is to sleep or do email (free wifi). The a/c worked great, as did the heat. My favorite rooms are the 5th and 4th floor doubles facing onto the street - they are a bit larger and the views onto the street make me feel a little like a local apartment dweller. Where this hotel excels is the location and the staff! 75% of what you want to see in Paris is within 5-15 minutes walking distance - and the Metro to the rest is just 5 minutes down the street. And the staff - on this last trip, they really went above and beyond for us: a little email exchange in advance secured my favorite room and a street view twin room for my parents; they had great neighborhood restaurant recommendations; and when we unexpectedly had to stay an extra night due to a medical emergency, they a) juggled rooms to keep my parents in their room, b) even though it was a Saturday night of a busy convention week and my room was booked, they found me a new room; and c) they called the Jules Verne for us to explain why we'd had to cancel with less than 24 hours notice and not only got them to refund the hefty cancellation fee, but they got us a new reservation for a few days later. Did I mention they were just plain friendly? Well, they are. Other reviewers note small bathrooms - some are - that's Paris, but some aren't. The singles and my parents' twin room were snug, but again - clean and comfortable - and frankly that's ok with me - I'm here to see Paris, not hang out in my room. And no coffee maker? True, but frankly I'm in that neighborhood for the pure joy of strolling like a local up to Rue Rambuteau for a croissant from the fabulous boulangerie, and then a block down to Starbucks - or sit happily at the cafe around the corner. There are 1 or 2 other more decorative hotels nearby for a similar price, but they are often sold out, so if you want a clean, comfortable option in this great neighborhood, I recommend the Vieux Marais.

Room Tip: It's worth asking for a room facing the street. Rooms that do not face the street get sunlight, but no view. Street noise is not a big concern - the hotel is located on a quiet one-way street.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Joan K
vieuxmarais, Front Office Manager at Vieux Marais, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2012

Dear Guest,

It is truly a pleasure to see that the Hotel du Vieux Marais has successfully achieved in bringing a positive contribution to your stay in Paris.

Kind regards
Zied DRIDI
HOTEL DU VIEUX MARAIS

Reviewed February 20, 2012

The location is amazing. The price; reasonable. The staff friendly. That is where the good ends.

The place was under going renovation. Perhaps once this is complete; it will be an OK place. We were woken up every morning to hammering and banging. It was dreadful. I was so thankful for Sunday; when the workers were off. Thank goodness!

The room was small; but clean; however the bed was as hard as a rock and my feet hung off the edge (I am only 6' tall).

I would pass on this place.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Jimx2indc
Reviewed September 18, 2011

Look if i was paying 80 Euros for this place ok you get what you pay for but 170 Euros you expect a lot more, ignoring the fact the lobby is a building site, the rooms are not up to scratch very small, bland, depressing no coffee making and not that clean tiny bathroom with a tiny bath , door handle came off in my hand. There is a safe but it is not attached to anything just sitting in the bottom of the wardrobe ??
i stay in some lovely hotels in the area small but between 130 euro and 200 euro these are 10 times better. This hotel is well off the pace,I was only there for one night and that was enough . staff i found helpfull, but i did not complain as i had been working all day and it was late . I would not be staying again !!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank dazza175
Reviewed August 16, 2011

We had been booked in Paris for this hotel. Luckily we were in town 2 weeks before and had a chance to wander by to take a look.

The place is a disaster. The lobby is a construction site. I can't understand why they stay open, especially at the prices ($210 euro/night is what we had booked) that they charge.

But we were able our cancel the reservation, luckily, and avoided the experiences described by other posters below!

This place might have been ok in the past, but right now, I would suggest avoiding it.

Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Pito S
Reviewed August 13, 2011

I had stayed at this hotel several times before. When we arrived this trip, the entire lobby, stairway and entrance to the elevator was under renovation, which they failed to mention when I made the reservation. There were cement mixers in the lobby, wires falling from the ceiling, jackhammers banging. You couldn't even enter the lobby, but had to go thrrough the side door. The room itself was totally different than when I had stayed there before. It was small and very dated, and given that we paid $235.00 per night, I was upset. We would have left but after checking at many other places, there was absolutely NO availabilty in Paris that week. When I asked for some credit back for the inconvienience, dirt, noise, and downright dangerousness of the lobby, they refused, and further refused with my credit card company. I use to love this place, but NO LONGER.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family