“Quirky hotel, great location, comfy beds!”

Hotel Crayon by Elegancia
Ranked #320 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed July 11, 2012

My daughter and I spend four nights here last month after I chanced upon it on hotels.com and read the good reviews on Tripadvisor. What a fantastic find! The hotel is in a great location - a few minute's walk to the Louvre, the Pompidou Center, Les Halles, and lots of other points of interest. In fact, we only used one day of our two-day Metro card, because it was so convenient to walk everywhere. The decor is funky and fun. The wallpaper in the halls is unlike any in any hotel I've been in, as is the lobby. Our room was small, and the bed did take up most of the room, but 1) hey, you're in Paris, you shouldn't be spending that much time in your hotel room anyway, and 2) it was the most comfortable bed I've slept in in a long, long time. Seriously recommended!

The men and women who staffed the front desk were extremely helpful whenever we had a question or needed anything. They all speak fluent English, which is nice as well.

We didn't eat the 12 euro breakfast, opting instead to go to the cute little boulangerie/patisserie around the corner for delicious pain au chocolat and a cup of tea for less than half the price.

All in all, a great find. If you like boutique hotels, I would strongly recommend Hotel Crayon!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank StephKinA2
There are newer reviews for Hotel Crayon by Elegancia

Reviewed July 11, 2012

We've just spent three nights at this quirky boutique hotel and absolutely loved it. From the moment we stepped through the door the stay was perfect. The hotel is In a great location close to Metro and the Louvre with plenty of good restaurants/cafes nearby.
We were made to feel really welcome and nothing was too much trouble. There is a small lounge area adjacent to reception where you can help yourself to drinks - the bar is run on an honesty basis, which is a nice touch. You can even select your own choice of music to listen to as you relax. Free Wi-FI too! The room was not huge (which is usual for Paris unless you pay mega bucks) but very adequate. It was not cramped at all. The decor was really funky. Bathroom was cool too. Two bottles of Evian provided every day and gorgeous shampoo, conditioner etc. We had breakfast in the hotel on one morning and food served was of good quality. Recommend this to anyone visiting Paris - we will definitely use this hotel again!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 7, 2012

I will remember Hotel Crayon as one of the best places I have ever stayed at. Even though it was quite small the colors and the energy in the hotel made up for it. The first two days I stayed at this hotel I was very ill and the employes were VERY helpful. They called a doctor for me and told my mother and I the right hospital to go to and by the third day of my visit I was back to normal and enjoying the magical places of Paris. Apart from helping when I was sick, Hotel Crayon also helped us when we needed good ideas for places to shop and how to get on the boat rides along the Seine. Overall, I miss Hotel Crayon quite a lot a plan on making it back there for my next trip to Paris.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Molly8686
Reviewed July 6, 2012

This is a lovely boutique hotel with lots of unique character. For exploring Paris on foot I found it to be in a very good location. It is also close to metro stations so getting around Paris was easy.

I really enjoyed the individual rooms with super comfy beds. The staff were very friendly. An extra treat was getting some very nice easter eggs on Easter Sunday.

The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars was because tea was not complementary and I feel for this price range they could stretch to include tea/coffee. Also the room looked into a narrow courtyard so there was a lack of natural light. Maybe this is a bit harsh but both those things are fairly important to me personally.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 6, 2012

I stayed here for one night during a business trip.
I have to agree with CovertedPoms review of the hotel:
-rooms are small but charming and I loved the bathroom (also small but with a fancy rain shower)
-staff was very friendly and helpful
-located in the centre and when you're in Paris there is always something interesting nearbyand if not ... take a metro nearby :)
-stairs and elevator or also small
-unless you speak French I 'd also suggest to take a book with you because there are almost only French channels on the television in the room
-expensive (I payed or at least the company paid 209€ and an additional 12€ for breakfast, which was more than ok (great coffee by the way)
-free wifi
-lots of restaurants and bars in the neighbourhood but I am not the kind of person who enters a restaurant when they offer a complete menu for 15€ - I prefer to pay a bit more and to get a bit more quality
-airco in the room
-in short: great for business travellers but rooms are a bit small and too expensive for couples

Room Tip: I stayed in room 102 and I didn't hear any noise during the night
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 26, 2012

This was a business trip and so hotels are either comfortable or not; I usually offer a dispassionate view but this hotel changed the rules somewhat.

Like most hotel rooms in Paris they are very small - and perhaps not so cheap (169 Euros per night with breakfast and additional 12 Euros).

To get to this hotel is simplicity itself - from Aeroport CDG take the RER B to Chatelet Les Halles (Chatalay lay al - if you want to ask a local), or use the Paris Metro to the same location as RER B - Chatelet Les Halles is under some refurbishment and is a rabbit warren as well as having a shopping mall built in to it - look for and follow the exit for Porte Eustache. This will bring you directly opposite a church - turn left and walk down to the main road (past a load of restaurants on your right), At the main road, directly opposite on the left is Rue Bouloi - there's a cafe bar on the corner.

The hotel reception is always manned (or womanned!) by very helpful, courteous and pleasant people - a step back in time.

The lift (or elevator for our US brethren) is very small and will take 1 person plus a suitcase - the stairs are brilliant - winding in a circle like in a castle turret! they will keep you fit.

This is essentially a bed and breakfast hotel with breakfast servied in the basement - I never went down there so I can't comment.

The rooms, as I said previously are small - the en suite shower I had was trendy, very good and all I needed.

2 people will have to be very organised - the room literally comprised a double bed, with a small chair and a tiny wardrobe.

There is aircon and it works, and is quiet. The street opposite was what I thought to be fairly quiet - you get the odd 'wasp' motorcycle and the ubiquitous car horn but nothing bad.

The reception is light and airy and there is a quirky 'honour bar' arrangement where you can have drinks (hot and cold, alcoholic and non-alcoholic) and you let the kind folk on reception know what you have had and they charge your room accordingly.

Free fruit and nuts are available in reception.

I liked it here - it is at the centre of anywhere you want to visit - Paris is a very walkable city and this is a wonderful point from which to start.

restaurants abound - budget for 50 Euros per head with wine/beers or visit the smaller cafes or bistros where you will pay half that, with drinks.

Hope you have an excellent time.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 22, 2012

My sister and I went for a short city break and stayed in this lovely little hotel. Upon arrival we were greeted by 2 women, both of whom spoke fluent English and made every effort to make us feel welcome.

Our room was immaculate, small but cosy. The whole room was quirky and had a great feel about it, and the bathroom was very clean and tidy. We had a TV with a wide range of channels, and cute decorations.There was a little lack of natural light but lots of other lamps to light up the room.

Staff were extremely polite and helpful throughout our stay and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel to anybody looking for an affordable room for a short city break.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends