Hotel Crayon by Elegancia
  • Pool
$565
$512
Official Site
All reviewsles hallesgreat locationhonesty barrooms are smallminute walk to the louvresister hotelboutique hotelpalais royalstaff was very friendly and helpfulwould stay here againjunior suitecroissantsgreat showeraround the cornersingle roomcomfortable bedmajor sites
Reviewed January 1, 2012

I had a really great first experience in Paris and the Hotel Crayon was a big part of it. I researched all the Districts first and found the location of this hotel, in the 1st arr. to be very convenient to everything with shops, cafe's, markets, the Louvre and many other points of interest all within walking distance. Hotels in Paris are mostly all small, so I knew that my hotel room would be small by American standards, however the room was very clean, nicely appointed, free wi-fi, great shower products, heating/ac, a the downy plush double sized bed was meant for great sleeps. The Hotel staff was very very accommodating and seemed excited for me that I was enjoying my daily Paris forays. They were helpful with maps, how to use the Metro, etc. Just super friendly - all of them, it was nice to see their smiles at the end of each day. In the neighborhood just outside the hotel was a Pizzeria, a French Bistro/Bar, and a sushi joint. I really enjoyed the Bistro and they were really great about filling my ice bucket for me as there is no ice machine in the Hotel. (there is a SMEG Refrigerator filled with drinks and a few trays of ice cubes however, but I would have wiped out their ice daily). There is also an honor bar in the lobby to have a a cocktail for a small fee. The hotel stored my luggage on my last day since I was not to depart for CDG til 5 pm. I also reco Super Shuttle for easy and reasonable transfers to and from any of the major airports. 48 Euro Roundtrip. Easy peasy for a first timer.

My best days were spent "Getting Lost" and meandering the highlty inviting cobbled streets that twisted along, populated with delightful and amusing storefront windows. I got in the habit of picking up a small baguette, some good deli terrine or rillettes and some cheese at the end of the day to eat for breakfast in my room as the typical Parisienne breakfast is a croissant and cafe au lait, I preferred more substance. I also recommend taking the Les Halles Metro on the 4 Line to Port Clignacourt (3.70 Euro round trip) in order to go to the Les Puces Saint-Ouen Flea Market. It was full of beautiful vintage finds ranging from high end antiques to low-brow bargains (I got a Le Creuset #18 casserole in good used condition for 1 Euro and chic vintage sundress for 10 Euro, some vintage lobster-motif ramekins for 40 Euro, etc.)

I highly recommend the hotel for its pleasantness, location, price, and overall part of my Paris experience :)

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank GreekGoddess2U
Reviewed December 29, 2011

La zona, il prezzo, l'estetica e la simpatia dello staff fanno di questo hotel qualcosa di imperdibile! Inutile dire che le stanze sono veramente piccole (una doppia è veramente appena sufficiente per 2 persone)... ma i colori e l'originalità degli arredi ne distolgono l'attenzione e rendono il soggiorno piacevole. Lo staff alla reception è molto disponibilie e la location è perfetta per visitare il centro di Parigi.
Sconsigliata la colazione non perchè non qualitativa, ma solo perche servita nei sotterranei, un po' claustrofobici.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed December 22, 2011

This is my second time staying in this hotel. First time they were still in the process of doing the renovations, but it had little impact on my stay. This time I was staying with three work colleagues, all who said they would stay again next time when in Paris. It is a great location with many of the famous landmarks within easy walking distance. The rooms are small, but so are most hotels in Paris. But they have made the place very funky with their art deco appearance. The staff are very friendly and helpful. Would be happy to stay there again and will do so when on business or my wife. Would be a little on the small side for families though

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed December 17, 2011

Booked this hotel in September via the Eurostar website, when it was still shown under its old name, the Louvre Forum. It was renovated in August this year and changed its name. Girlfriend and I stayed 2 nights, and had a room on the 6th floor. Admittedly, the room was small, (top floor, with the eaves making it potentially hazardous for the head!!) but had been beautifully decorated, and the shower and bed were to die for!! The staff were very helpful and the location was ideal, with many places within a short walk, (the river, Louvre, Ile de la cite, the Marais and so on!!). Paris is one of my favourite cities, and I've been many times, staying in a variety of different hotels - some I would recommend, and some I wouldn't. However, I would certainly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: As mentioned, our 6th floor room (top floor) was small, but the upside was it was very quiet. However, I'd probably ask for a room, not on the 6th floor.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kerr_edinburgh
Reviewed December 12, 2011

Great location, beautiful design, but unfortunately a frustrating and disappointing experience.

It was my partners first tripe to Europe so I wanted it to be special. We booked the suite months in advance, and were impressed by their quick and friendly response when we requested early check in as our flight arrived at 6am. It turned out not to be possible, but this didn't bother us as much as being told on arrival that we could only have the suite for 2 nights instead of 4 because a movie was going to be filmed in there. Again they were very friendly and helpful, giving us a free breakfast that morning and offering us a discount on a smaller room for the other 2 nights, which we accepted. The suite was BEAUTIFUL, we loved it, and decided not to hold a grudge and to enjoy ourselves.

Unfortunately, the double room we were moved to had two single beds joined together, which was incredibly uncomfortable to sleep on and put a dampener on our romantic trip. It was a much much smaller and noisier, and we missed our nice room! But as the rest of the service was very good we decided to book a room for 2 nights a week later when we were back in Paris. We requested that it be a room with a proper double bed, which they promised, and I double checked the dates with them because it was for the day before our flight home and I didn't want any more stuff ups. However when we arrived back to check in, we were told we had only booked the room for 1 night, and that there was no space for the second night. The room had two single beds again, despite their promise, and in the morning we were forced to change hotels (not what we wanted to spend our last day in Paris doing!!!). Furthermore when we spoke to the manager about it, he insisted that we had only booked one night, not accepting any responsibility for the mistake. As I had made a point of double checking the dates, I found this downright rude. We were offered another smaller discount, but at this point it frankly did not make up for the stress of repeatedly getting stuffed around. Instead of changing rooms once, we had to change 3 times, and as any traveler knows repacking your suitcase and moving rooms over and over is not a fun way to spend your holiday.

I really wanted to love this place, but they made it incredibly hard. They need to make some changes to their procedures so that customers aren't let down repeatedly like that, in particular I thought it was inappropriate for them not to contact us earlier to tell us we couldn't have the room we booked for the whole trip as it denied us the opportunity to book another hotel. In the end we didn't let the frustration and disappointment ruin our holiday, but they certainly pushed us to the edge.

My recommendation to other travelers is to book the suite if you want a decent sized room, and to double check and insist on written confirmation of your bookings (my partner requested confirmation of our second booking but was told it wasn't necessary).

Room Tip: Ask for the suite on level 5!
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple