“A blessing in June”
Review of Hotel du 7e Art

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel du 7e Art
Ranked #1,327 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We are owners of a travel share and were supposed to have reservations at a 5star luxury hotel. I swear they gave them away, it was fishy. So we arrived in June in Paris my husband, myself & 2 teenagers with no reservations. A quick online check revealed that per night we were looking at 400-900 euro per night per room!! I found this jewel after many many calls. The staff on the phone were completely helpful! We stayed one night in two rooms, one night in one room and they were booked...they called around for us and when it became apparent no room elsewhere were available they let us know about a cancellation at the last minute. Again two rooms:-) they helped us with luggage up the 79 steps:-) thankfully we traveled light. Stored bags on the last day, called a cab for us to the station and couldn't have been more helpful. Over and above service.
Rooms were tiny but big enough. Bathrooms were sweet and little but big enough. Clean as a pin. Quiet. I couldn't have asked for a brighter light in our spot. Thanks guys for saving our trip!!

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Ninelives63
There are newer reviews for Hotel du 7e Art

Reviewed July 11, 2013

I have just returned from 3 weeks in Paris. I live in Las Vegas.
I visit this great city almost every year. I love the Marais area
and so stay close to it. I stay at this hotel because it is so well
located and perfect for my use. It is a small hotel on St. Paul.
Out the door and to the left and in 2 blocks is the Seine. Out
the door and to the right and in 2 blocks is the Marais area.
Go down to St. Antoine turn right and go down to Place Bastille.

If this is your first visit to Paris, realize that it is a city built many,
many years ago. In the Marais area and St. Paul, all the buildings
were built in the late 1500’s or early 1600’s. In the last few years
this area has become so popular and very crowded. The bottom floor
of these buildings are now stores and shops. Very interesting and exclusive
shops. Wonderful place to go shopping.
I like St. Paul because I don’t have the crowds and noise of the Marais.
In the Marais they are celebrating every weekend.

I talk to some of my fellow Americans who are here for the first time, and
they are so surprised that there hotel room is so small or so “old”. Paris is “old”.
That the beauty of it. You want a new and bright room, go to a Holiday Inn.
I suggest you try for the French experience. There won’t be an elevator
or a concierge like in the expensive hotels. In the Marais and St. Paul
area, the hotels are on very small streets, in very old buildings with small rooms and no elevator but are usually clean and have the important things you will need. A toilet and shower, it will be small but workable, make sure there is heat and air conditioning.
Hotel du 7th Art has all of this and while I was there, they put new mattresses in all the rooms. Nice.
The Owners and the staff here do care and are very helpful. The speak enough
English to help you get to the Metro and find the place you want. Line 1, St Paul is 3 blocks away. Metro stop-Sully Morland is 2 blocks away, down by the Seine.
This hotel has Wi-Fi, throughout the hotel. Very important, now that there is such drastic changes in the weather. Paris weather is now volatile. All of Europe is going through this.
Each morning I have breakfast in the hotel and check the weather on my Tablet.

This hotel has character. The Owners love the cinema and movies and have posters and pictures all over the place. My room had a large poster of Rita Hayworth and a great photo of Frank Sinatra recording at Capitol. Nice !!
The staff are always friendly and helpful. I like that.

I’m 76 years old, so I don’t plan too far ahead but if I return to Paris, I will stay here again.

Room Tip: I like a room facing the street so I can get a feel on the weather. Nice to get up in the morning an...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank WaltersLV
Reviewed July 4, 2013

We stayed two nights in the Hotel du 7ieme Art in late June 2013. It was €160 per night for a double room into which they had put a fold-out bed for our eight-year-old daughter. The decor of the hotel is very dated, and the room was not clean. Everything is a different shade of brown - walls, curtains, bed linen. Our room was at the front of the hotel, overlooking the Rue St Paul. There was a bottle collection every morning early, and it seemed several rubbish collections during the night too. The breakfast was...perfunctory. The staff are lovely and very helpful. And the location is great. But someone needs to spent some money on updating the place - and soundproofing it!

Room Tip: Don't pick one at the front, overlooking the street
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Dave R
Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

If you are looking for location, I can recommend this hotel. But only if you wont stay longer in the room.
My experience there wasn't good.
The heater wasn't working well and I didn't have hot water all the time during my stay in the freezing winter. Another negative point is they dont have a lift. So, if you are carrying big luggages as I had, it can be stressfull. The staff was very kind but I defintely recommend another hotel for the same price.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank RenatoCarneiro
Reviewed April 18, 2013

We were very happy in this small establishment. It is in a good position, walking distance to Seine and Rue de Rivoli. The rooms are small, and some might say a little shabby......but, clean and comfortable. (to be honest, a little upgrade - as in lighter paint colours would change the rooms significantly). Bathrooms look retiled. Small safe available in room to leave passports etc. Downstairs lounge looked inviting, we didnt venture there only because we had friends in an apartment nearby where we could spread out a bit. The staff are very friendly and helpful, and as on any holiday - this makes an ENORMOUS difference. Thank you

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank first_one_step
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Three people traveling to Paris makes it difficult to find a room. When hotel 7 had a room available we grabbed it and were pleasantly surprised. We were greeted at the front desk by a friendly gentlemen who directed us to our room on the second floor We had reserved a "small" 3- bed room and it was perfect. 3 single beds a table and chairs and a very nice bathroom. The room was a bit dated but it was clean. Breakfast for 8 euro was well worth it after we paid 4.20 for coffee elsewhere! Location was perfect. Easy walk to the metro and many of the sights. The marais area is adorable with plenty of local Cafes to enjoy. I would definitely stay here again. Keep in mind there is no elevator.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I had the misfortune of staying in this hotel over the Easter long weekend - I would normally not have stayed there but there was little choice available that weekend due to the public holiday.

We paid an outrageous 130 euros a night for a disgusting, dingy room. In Saint Germain we have been able to find lovely, correct hotels for the same price (unfortunately all those hotels were full that weekend) so I was shocked and outraged at what this hotel is passing off for this price.

If you have asthma or allergies this will be your worst nightmare - the curtains and bed cover are old and dusty and seem to date from the 80s (no exaggeration). The 'carpet' was also dirty and dusty and was just squared pieces of carpet placed on the floor that move. Cruddy, freezing cold bathroom with mould - yucky sachets of shampoo.

The bed and pillows were hard and lumpy - had a very, very BAD night's sleep.

Our towels were not changed on our last night so we ended up having to share one already wet towel.

Noisy! We could hear not just the noise from the street but all the noise from our neighbors including every time they went to the toilet or took a shower. You will also be able to follow all their tv programs and conversations.

Lastly, the internet in reception costs a crazy 5 euros per hour which is pure greediness given the cost at an internet cafe is around 1 euro per hour. The receptionist also insisted on making me fill out an information form because I'm a foreigner, despite the fact I've lived in France for the last 5 years and possess a residency card. I have never had any hotel in France make me do this...

I don't really understand the good reviews of this place unless people are just fooled into thinking that having quirky movie memorabilia is worth staying in squalor at high prices. This hotel used to be a lot less expensive which is why it made it into the guide books. In 2013 paying 130 for such a room is just unacceptable, even in Paris. One can stay in very luxurious hotels in Montparnasse or Bercy for that price or very clean and nice places elsewhere in the city center. Even just around the corner, L'Hotel Place de Vosges offers wonderful rooms at the same price as does the Hotel Jeanne d'Arc.

All in all, a horrible stay which basically wrecked our weekend....

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple