“A slice of old Paris”
Review of Esmeralda Hotel

Esmeralda Hotel
Ranked #785 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed December 16, 2012

I didn"t expect the Ritz. I wanted a more old fashioned experience. Wanted something affordable but not a charmless motel. I wanted characters. I wanted the noise of street life wafting into my bedroom at night. I wanted a short walk to the Shakespeare bookshop. I would have liked an old fashioned lift but after so much walking around Paris, what"s a few flights of stairs?? I wanted to feel part of Paris and her history. I wanted to be in walking distance of the Sienne, bustling cafes and the "other bank".
When I stayed at the Hotel Esmeralda I got everything I wanted & more!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
9  Thank claireparadine
There are newer reviews for Esmeralda Hotel

Reviewed October 6, 2012

I stayed here for 5 nights in April. The rooms are very basic and the stairs are very steep - but all that adds to the atmosphere of this hotel. Just make sure you pack everything you need for the day and then you should only have to climb the stairs once each day.
I can understand that it's not the place for everyone. However, I'm a woman in my 40s and I loved it! The location couldn't be better. It was so beautiful to look out the window and see Notre Dame. Being so close, it's easy to get over there early before the crowds arrive.
There are some great cafes and bistros in the surrounding area and most have wifi. Le Petit Chatelet, around the corner, is lovely for dinner.
Shakespeare & Co book store is also right around the corner and you can easily lose yourself in there for an hour or two.

• Stayed: April 2012
6  Thank SSRabbitohs
Reviewed October 5, 2012

This is a simple and unique hotel just in the heart of Paris opposite to the Notre Dam. Our room was not big but we stayed there 8 night with no problem. The room was clean, the service was very good and the team, especiaslly Francisco, were very helpful and his "little" tips were great. The location is grat. You just go down and every think is very close (also the Metro and the ReR). Be aware that the rooms equipment is very minimal, For us it was OK. There is no elevator.
One note: There will be a change of the Hotel owner. We hope that the new owner will keep the singularity of the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank OfferWeiss_12
Reviewed September 13, 2012

This hotel is admittedly not for everyone: first of all, there are no elevators. So, if you have a room on the top floor, you'll be in for a good work out in climbing steep, crooked stairs. Still, this was a fun hotel overall. Gotta love some of the gaudy decor and interestingly small door to the room.
Communication with the hotel staff was easy and efficient. Due to some flight changes, we ended up with an earlier arrival, and therefore we arrived at the hotel at 8:30 AM. Nonetheless, we were allowed to check in early and the room (on the top floor) was ready. This was such a blessing, as we were completely exhausted! On our last day, we were able to leave our bags in the back room of the front desk, as we had a late flight out and check out was at 11:30 AM. The front desk let us leave our bags in the back room, which was great, because it allowed us to do some more "last minute" exploring before picking up our bags again in the later afternoon and get to the airport.
Room cleanliness is fine. I think they could do a better job about leaving more towels or obtaining better, bigger towels. Their towels were rather thin. Also, installing a shower curtain couldn't hurt either.
Still, for what the hotel is, the price was good and the location fantastic: We took many pictures, and the view of Notre Dame during the day and night was just remarkable. On our last night, there was a street musician on the bridge, playing the guitar, and it was quite soothing.
Yes, it can be somewhat loud at night, but not every night had obnoxious noise. Gotta remember that it is a tourist hot spot, so noise is expected.
All in all, it was a wonderful and budget-friendly hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Dianne C
Reviewed September 9, 2012

I really wish I could give a better rating here. I booked rooms for my parents and I here based on the fact that my dad lived at this hotel for several months during the 1960's when he was in Paris. My dad was beyond thrilled--it was exactly as he remembered it, except this time all the rooms have private bathrooms. It does have a lot of charm, I'll give it that. My issue was a perceived cleanliness issue (as in, I perceived it not to be clean). The first night I had a single room, which was TINY. The bedspread was dirty, the toilet seat crooked, and I was given an already open packet of shampoo in the bathroom. I did not feel safe leaving the window open at night, and slept horribly because of the strong musty/mildewy smell that filled the room. The next day I moved to a double room when my husband arrived, and it was bigger and didn't smell, but still quite dingey. Our toilet did not have enough pressure for a full flush, so I arrived to a dirty toilet and an unemptied trash can.

The location is right across the street from Notre Dame, however you should be aware of the noise that comes along with this location. The street and the park next door are also popular for homeless, and one morning we actually had one of the homeless ladies sleeping in the lobby, apparently under the approval of the desk staff.

The main desk attendant was really nice and spoke great English, but the other one we dealt with was not so great. Would definitely stay elsewhere if I'm back in Paris again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
11  Thank brooTX
Reviewed August 14, 2012

The location alone made this hotel worth it. While the room was small, it made up for it in character. The room was comfortable and had a nice view of the Notre Dame. When you leave you must leave the key at reception and pick it up on return. While some people may have some concerns with this, we trusted the policy. Free wif available in the lobby. It's steps away from St. Michel-Notre Dame which is along the RER B line from the airport which makes it convenient. Also, you can catch the RER C from there to Orsay, Eiffel Tower, and Versailles making its location that much better. Situated in the Latin Quarter which is lively at any time of day. While some people might find the area too touristy, it did have a cute a lively feel which made staying in Paris excellent. There are a ton of options for food around (both cheap and expensive). Monoprix grocery store is a 5 min walk away which was convenient as well. We booked a double room for 90 euros a night which for its location is incredible. Come here with an open mind and you'll fall in love with the character of this cute hotel. I will always return to this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Kevin S
Reviewed August 12, 2012

The Hotel Esmeralda is full of old world charm and is in the most perfect location. The myth of the Hunchback of Notre Dame comes to life from the moment you step into the foyer and see black and white photos of the young bohemian dancer, 'Esmeralda', in her element.

However, this is not a hotel for the faint-hearted - especially if you have any type of back injury and are unable to lug modern wheelie luggage cases up several flights of chiropractic nightmare steps! No wonder the French have slim legs - it's all those spiral staircases!!

It may be useful to pack a hot water bottle and thick bed-socks also, incase the heating isn't working - which it wasn't for me when Paris was experiencing it's coldest week in late April for umpteen years. And better to enjoy the vista of Notre Dame from the brisk air outside than attempt to open the window held together by cobwebs, good-will and not much else.

So if you can cope with the unexpected and seek an authentic Parisian experience, breathe deeply and head for Hotel Esmeralda and revel in its spectacular location and unusual story.

Room Tip: Personally, I'd go for lower level rooms - less stairs to negotiate (after wining and dining, an...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends