“Great hotel, location and price for seeing Paris” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Castex Hotel
Ranked #594 of 1,794 Hotels in Paris
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Great hotel, location and price for seeing Paris”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2010

For an interesting, affordable, central location for seeing Paris, this hotel ticks all the boxes. I took my wife here for her 30th birthday and it was perfect. The room was very tidy, had everything we needed and the staff were very friendly and helpful. For around 100 euros you aren't going to get much in Paris and this hotel is a real bargain in this respect. The rooms were not big but then you would have to pay A LOT to have big rooms in Paris. The location was very easy to get to and from everywhere (including CDG airport and the metro). We will be back I think.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SamBrick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2010

I absolutely loved the Castex Hotel. I'm not sure that we got one of the best rooms. When we walked in, we actually burst out laughing at the size of the room. It was small, very small. But it was very cute and charming and had some nice period features, in fact we referred to the hotel as 'the castle' for our entire stay. And the beds were amazing, they were so comfortable, it was some of the best sleep I had over the holidays!

I guess my only gripe about the hotel was that I wasn't sure if breakfast was included so when we checked in and the man told us what time breakfast was, I just assumed it was included. I guess that was my fault, never assume and all that. But upon checking out we were charged 24 euros for 2 breakfasts!! Pretty exorbitant for your standard croissant, yogurt, coffee set-up. If I had known it was that much (and not included) I definitely would have just gone out for food. At least we didn't go both days...

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lizistheshizz
Houston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2010

Good value for the money conveniently located to Metro and bus. The staff was very accomodating. The rooms were small but very clean. On my next trip to Paris I would stay at this hotel.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank mwhhouston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2010

I stayed here a year ago when traveling through France, and I loved it so much that I immediately booked with them as soon as I found out I was coming back to Paris. I will definitely stay here again when coming back to Paris... the staff was very friendly and helpful, the rooms are clean and charming, and it's located in a nice area close to the Notre Dame.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank neptunesdream
Columbia, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2009

we just returned from our honeymoon in paris, and let me just say we loved the castex hotel! the location was great! right near the metro station (bastille) that took us straight into the heart of the city in less than 10 minutes, also walking distance to notre dame. the cafe's and bars nearby were all very friendly and accommodating. the staff were incredibly helpful including when my wife got sick arranging a doctors visit for her with an english speaking doctor right in the neighborhood. the rooms maybe small, but if you are going for a room i suggest you go to another city, we left bright and early every morning and returned after 10 each night. if we make it back i would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ecudchi
Hamptons
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2009

We love the Marais and Castex Hotel is near three metro stops. Nice, clean (typically small) room with nice bathroom. We usually stay nearby at St. Louis Marias, but were equally happy with this choice. We skipped the 10Euro breakfast and had coffee and croisants or tartines and confitures at Cafe de Pharo at the Bastille...then popped into the Metro for our daily adventures. Free Internet access including a complimentary lobby computer made it easy for us to check our emails. Complimentary Herald Tribune and Guardian in the lobby were nice touches.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank TonyHitch
Chicago
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2009

I do not agree with the other positive reviews of this hotel. Yes, it's clean. Yes, it's safe. Yes, it's in a great location.

No it isn't quiet. We were facing a street and was continually awaken by street noise and the garbage collectors constantly. Even with our windows closed, we had three consecutive nights of no sleep. And then because we had our windows closed, it was ungodly hot. Even the lobby was uncomfortably hot.

The room is so small we didn't even have room to place our luggage anywhere. And I have traveled throughout Europe and I know a room for two usually means 2 beds put together. However, usually they make some kind of effort to actually attach them together. These beds slid apart constantly. So much for our romantic getaway.

The staff spoke English but had zero recommendations on sites or food. They were basically doormen.

And the last and least of my complaints was it was ugly. One small framed photo on a wall looks like they weren't even trying.

For the same amount of money, we stayed at a hotel by the Eiffel Tower that looked like The Ritz!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple