“This Hotel is a Rick Steves victim.”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Castex Hotel

Castex Hotel
Ranked #580 of 1,798 Hotels in Paris
Singapore, Singapore
“This Hotel is a Rick Steves victim.”
Reviewed June 4, 2011

To be fair, the owners provided us with excellent and efficient service. They kindly arranged another room for us facing the courtyard because our room facing the street was too noisy at night. They also helped us booked a cab and advised us on the fare we should pay. Location was ok, close to Bastille Metro stop. I think the Marais area is kind of over-rated. Many shops not open until late in the afternoon and some of them stayed closed for some reason. It's very near to victor hugo's mansion though. I enjoyed myself more at the montmarte area. The room was as usual in Paris, Tiny. But the tiled flooring for both rooms i stayed in, was sticky and dirty. I think it's an American thing. They don't take off the shoes in the room and sleep with their shoes on ? The cleaning lady must have gave up on mopping the floor. I saw her cleaning the room, she only vaccumed the room. Didn't mop the floor. There is a small kettle in the room though. The design of the hotel, I find it weird. The lobby has lots of character and nice furniture in contrast to the boring design of the rooms. The elevator is a modern elevator. I would say it's a new addition to the hotel. There are 3 large garbage bins in the courtyard that spoil the view. It seems that is their permanent resting place. Tip : stay on the 1st floor, you can still get some wifi access. Anything higher, you get no wifi at all. For some reason, my credit card couldn't get through for this hotel. Even though I used it during the same period for 2 other hotels in Paris with no problem. Bring extra euros in cash in case the same happens to you. I won't recommend this hotel unless you are American.

• Stayed May 2011
4 Thank YewFatt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed April 27, 2011

This was the second time I have stayed in the Marais neighborhood of Paris, and the second great hotel I found there. Hotel Castex is an authentic Paris hotel with a small storefront lobby, narrow elevator, and large windows that open out over a narrow side street. Yet it had queen beds (not fulls!), lovely bathrooms with shower/tubs and hairdryers and complimentary products, flat screen tvs, internet access in the lobby, and lots of closet space to spread out your stuff. For the price and location, these were hard to get amenities. The Marais is a great neighborhood with lots of great, affordable dining and easy access to the Metro yellow line which goes to many major attractions without transfers. The cleaning staff was really great to us, and the front desk staff were the standard Parisian-aloof but still courteous and helpful.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
8 Thank aertraveler
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 8, 2011

I guess the saving grace of this place is the location. Breakfast was ok, nothing to write home about - there's enough to get you going for the day. However, there was no signage to indicate that breakfast was an additional cost and the concierge never mentioned it. It was only when we paid up at the end that we were told it was extra for each of us (around €10 if I remember correctly?). I suppose I should have checked, but it was still annoying to not have been told up front as we checked in.

The room we were in was very, very small, but it definitely had its charm. There were these side "nooks" in the walls next to our beds that were coated in dust. It would have been nice to have had that bit of detail sorted out. Our sleep was a bit disturbed as the doors seemed to slam all through the night as people came and went. It wasn't the patrons' fault - for some reason the doors would swing back very quickly, so we had to put up with this all night.

I felt that it was a tad pricey given what we got - we have paid less for better, but I guess the compromise was in the location. If you're after convenient location and are not particulary fussy about your rooms, then this is for you.

• Stayed February 2011
1 Thank Mojopin66
Minnesota
Reviewed April 2, 2011

I have stayed at Castex probably 5-6 times since 1995. It has changed slightly from the secret family run 2 star hotel that should be a 3 star to the deserving 3 star rating it has now.

I find it to be a very comfortable stay every time. The rooms are well kept and clean. Some stays I have heard some noise from the street early morning but for the most part the sleep is quiet and easy.

The staff is always excellent and helpful. Multi-lingual. They have provided help with air travel, luggage issues, and other services.

The past few years I have noticed that "Rick Steves" tour groups stay here. they can be a bit of a burden if you are trying to check in/out or get some service when they mob the front desk.

One incredible about this hotel is location. In a corner of the Marais right near the Bastille. The metro stop with many lines is nearby, as well as you can walk to the city center easily if you wish.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Milan
Reviewed January 25, 2011

The Castex Hotel is nothing more and nothing less than you can expect from a three-star hotel. Our room was quite small and not particularly stylish, but clean and quiet, with a comfortable large bed and a spacious bathroom with a rather uncomfortable shower.
The location in the fashionable Marais district is definitely convenient, within walking distance from many notable sites: five minutes from Place des Vosges, less than ten minutes from the Île Saint-Louis, some fifteen minutes from the Île de la Cité and, most of all, three minutes from the Bastille metro station.
The rates could be considered very expensive in almost any other city in the world, but being in Paris they are actually rather cheap. You'd better book through the website, as Internet rates are lower than those applied on the spot. If you have booked profiting by an Internet rate, show your reservation print-out before checking out: in our case, the receptionist was about to charge us the full rate until we made him notice our Internet booking.
A shared computer in the hall provides free access to the Internet. We were also allowed to use a printer.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LR71
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 22, 2010

Three things stand out in my memory. First, almost every guest was an American with Rick Steves' guidebook. They were fairly rude to the staff, begging for the discount, and completely oblivious to everything but themselves. It was almost as bad as if they were all on a guided tour in matching t-shirts. Also, due to the overwhelming number of Americans, the hotel served a lackluster American-style continental breakfast instead of the wonderful European breakfast I expected, and we had to pay extra to boot.

Second, the shower was ridiculous. We requested a shower bathroom because we were traveling through after an extended trip in a developing nation and we looked forward to long, hot showers. We knew it would be small by American standards, and it was about normal for a European shower. However, it was completely impractical. There was NO shelf inside the shower for soap or toiletries, or anywhere to hang a washcloth. There was nowhere to hang a towel nearby. And, the curtain blew open constantly and the water ran everywhere on the floor of the bathroom. I believe I read that the French prefer bathtubs, and apparently Hotel Castex has no idea how a shower should even work.

Finally, the service was a horrendous. I believe this was a result of the above-mentioned rude treatment from many of the guests, and the Parisians' rude treatment of tourists in general (I say this without any prejudice whatsoever - the six days we spent in Paris we, we were treated worse than any other country we have ever been in the world). Even though we gave advance notice that we were traveling through Paris after our extended trip in a developing country and requested an early check-in, when we arrived, our room was not ready and we were forced to wander aimlessly for an hour (after twelve hours on a plane and several days without a proper shower). I believe the staff only let us into our room early to be rid of us. When we checked out, the staff very nearly made us miss our return flight. We came outside to discover that a political rally had shut down traffic for several blocks around the hotel and the nearby Bastille. We hiked into the nearest Metro station, only to discover it unattended and with the sole ticket machine unable to read any of our credit cards (which work fine). When we hiked back up to the hotel to explain our situation, the staff refused to give us any coins in exchange for bills (the metro machines only take coins). After being similarly denied by three servers and a bartender at a nearby cafe, we returned to the hotel and requested that they call us a taxi cab. The staffer informed us that it would be a while due to the traffic shut down because of the protest, which we readily accepted, as the train rides themselves would take almost as much time as we had remaining before our flight at this point. After five minutes waiting outside, I stepped in to see where we would meet our taxi, only to discover that the staffer had not even called for one yet. He then proceeded to inform me that another Metro station about five minutes in the other direction was staffed every day, and would take our credit cards or bills. This info could have been passed on half an hour earlier and saved us lots of time and anxiety. We literally made the airport gate as the plane was loading and, had the American Airlines staff not helped us through security, we would have missed the flight.

I will never stay here again. I highly recommend that you find somewhere else as well. We also stayed in the Hotel Lenox St. Germain in a different neighborhood and it was great, I suggest you look it up if that location suits you!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank MrZero
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 28, 2010

Second stay at this hotel and it only gets better. For a three star hotel in a very convenient location, I would thoroughly recommend it. The staff are very helpful, room very clean and comfortable.

• Stayed September 2010