“Exceptional value and location”

Hotel de la Bretonnerie
Ranked #304 of 1,809 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed May 9, 2010

We stayed here during the week that volcanic ash halted all travel and wished we'd stayed there for our first week in Paris. The loft junior suite felt more like a little apartment; the hotel was spotless and charming; and the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. And the Seine was a 5 minute walk. You cannot go wrong with this hotel. One caveat: there is no air conditioning and the loft in the duplex was warm. Consider a regular room in wamer weather.

Reviewed May 2, 2010

I enjoyed my recent stay at this hotel, but the attic room with sloping ceilings made me walk hunched over all the time so that I wouldn't bean myself on one of the beams. The room was quiet though but in the summer I bet it would be hot, hot, hot. The staff was very helpful and the hotel was clean with good modern plumbing and decorations.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed April 25, 2010

We stayed for one night - arriving in the early hours of the morning due to a train strike- . Night staff had waited up for us not knowing when we would arrive. The exceptional service and helpfulness continued the next day as we tried to contact our airline to sort out flights. In addition our room was lovely- over two levels and absolutely quiet. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 13, 2010

My husband and I stayed in this hotel for a week with my sister and her husband. Overall, it is a very nice hotel. My sister and her husband were in a charming room 7 which was very spacious with a rediculously large bathroom by Paris standards. Our room - room 1 was a Junior Suite and not at all worth the extra money. It was on two floors, so perhaps it had a total square footage larger than a chambre de charme, but both spaces separately felt cramped. The bathroom was about half the size of the one in room 7, we heard everything that was going on in the room above our heads and we paid more for the Junior Suite than for a chambre de charme. It just didn't feel right.
Another thing that one should know about if planning to stay in this hotel is that it is in the gayest part of the Marais. I don't have a problem with that per say, but some of the shops that you are obliged to walk by are just distasteful (whether you are straight or gay). I would certainly not want to walk by them if I had my children with me, for example.
I love the Marais and the hotel was lovely, but these concerns would make me hesitate staying there again. i have stayed in better hotels in Paris.

2  Thank oneworld19
Reviewed April 10, 2010

With such a large number of options and so many parts of the city to consider, this hotel ticked most of the boxes. My wife and I were traveling with our 14 and 10 year olds and we still prefer to keep them close by, so look for family of adjoining rooms where possible. The de la Bretonnerie has several family rooms and ours, for three nights, was ample in size, which is not a given in Paris.

We had a minibar fridge, which can be useful for storing pastries! There is also an in room safe. The TV only had five channels, and only one was in English, but this was not an issue for us.

The most serious drawback was that the toilet, which seemed clean, did rather smell. Also, the large bath had a shower attachment, but it was not wall mounted and there was no curtain, so you couldn't really have a stand up shower. Otherwise it seemed clean and well kept.

There is free use of a computer in the reception area (with a printer).

Best of all was the location in the Marais, near the kosher restaurants, and extremely close to Notre Dame and 10 minutes walk to the main RER and Metro stops. It's a lively gay area, which may be a matter of interest or indifference to some travellers.

2  Thank jonben
Reviewed April 8, 2010

We stayed here for three nights after a disastrous experience with a Paris Stay apartment.
A well run hotel with lovely staff in the best part of Paris. We will stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 19, 2010

We have a lovely 4 day stay at this hotel while visiting friends in Rue Des Archives. We didn't take the breakfast option, there are two wonderful bakeries within 100m. Our room was on the third floor (there's a lift) and faced into the small courtyard on the right of the entrance door. The room was quiet - even though we had the french door open a little - the room was very warm, although i'm not complaining about the warm room, it was very much appreciated in February! We just wanted a little fresh air. The room was small, but had everything you needed for a short stay. There was a four-poster bed which dominated the room, but was very very comfortable. No hesitation in recommending this hotel. Staff friendly and very helpful. Recommend Cafe Journaux on Rue Des Archives.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple