“Sweet staff, perfect location”

Hotel de la Bretonnerie
Ranked #315 of 1,801 Hotels in Paris
Williamstown, Massachusetts
“Sweet staff, perfect location”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I know Paris well, and the stand-out feature of this hotel was the friendly and competent staff. Parisians can often be surly, while still being professional, but that was not the case here. I stayed one night for a reunion of old friends, which made the location so important: I spent almost my entire visit within a four- or five-block radius from the hotel—one of Paris's most enjoyable neighborhoods. Since most Parisians (including me, when I lived here) are housed in postage-stamp-sized spaces, I knew the room wouldn't be big. But it was impeccably clean and comfortable; the bath amenities were new and attractive (and equipped with a hairdryer), and I loved taking a proper French bath again (French bathtubs are fitted with shower heads, but curtains are not used, so the proper approach is to sit and use the shower head to shampoo). My room faced the back and was quiet, and noise within the hotel itself was rare and faint. The cozy lobby was a useful sitting spot when I need to quickly check email or wait for my group to gather. I had a room in the first price category, which was a fair and justified rate. And there was an elevator, from which I had just a short flight of steps to go down to reach my room. Highly recommended! I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Anne O

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Turlock, California
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Just spent 4 nights here and would definitely stay again. The location is excellent--walking distance to many sites, lots of cafes and things nearby, and le Marais is a charming district. The rates were very reasonable by Paris standards, the staff was very friendly, and the room was comfortable. I also like the boutique feel and quirkiness of this hotel; it's certainly not a Marriott.

My room (9) was plenty spacious enough for me, if a little eccentric. The toilet was in a cubicle in one place, and the tub and sink were on the other side of the room. The tub had a handheld shower head with no stand (or curtain), which annoyed me. Otherwise, the room was well equipped and the wifi is free, if a little wonky.

With my window open, there was quite a bit of street noise. There's a club across the street and the guys are pretty loud until pretty late--even on week nights. On the other hand, the room was quiet if I kept the window closed, and the street was peaceful in the mornings.

I wouldn't bother with the hotel breakfast. There are plenty of cafes within a very short walk.

I'd definitel recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid room 9 if the street noise will bug you.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed September 4, 2012

My husband and I truly loved this place! We spent 4 days in Paris, and at the end of each night were so glad to go back to this hotel! Marais is definitely the best place to stay, and this hotel is cozy and comfy and had everything we needed. We could walk to so many places, but if we decided to train it, it was close to many good stations. There was no a/c and I worried about that at first, but with the beautiful french windows open and fan it was no problem at all. Our room faced into a courtyard like area and he street, and even in the night the room was very quiet. Also the people working at the desk were so helpful! Gave us good restaurants recommendations and helped us with directions. I would no doubt stay here again and again. It truly made our trip to pais perfect!

1 Thank oldseptblues
Rome, Italy
Reviewed August 31, 2012

This was our second time staying at this hotel and we were very happy that we chose this hotel again. Since our first time (probably about five years ago), the hotel has been renovated with new carpets, wall and ceiling coverings, and now is in excellent condition.

Even though it was August and reasonably warm, we did not miss A/C and could easily sleep with the windows open as we had a room at the back of the hotel. The room and bathroom were very clean and the bed was comfortable. Wifi was free and works fine, albeit a bit slow. Selection of TV channels is rather limited with mainly French channels, but who needs to watch a lot of TV when in Paris!

Overall, service was very friendly, good, and professional. Also the breakfast was pretty good, even though one of the mornings we had to wait for a while for some items to be refilled.

As we stayed here in August, the hotel had a special deal (120 Euro per night for 2 people including breakfast), which is a reasonable price for this type of hotel in such a good central location. Regular prices during other times of the year are quite high, but that is quite normal for good quality hotels in or near the center of Paris.

The location of the hotel is just perfect... right in the middle of Le Marais, very close to the Centre Pompidou and several metro stops (Hotel de Ville metro is only a few minutes walking from the hotel, or Chatelet-Les Halles station about ten-fifteen minutes walking).

If a good deal is available, we certainly will stay here again on our next visit to Paris.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel, away from the street in front, to avoid too much noise (esp...
1 Thank peri&rini
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Hotel de la Bretonnerie is located on a small , quiet, street at the heart of the Marais, a busy and artsy section of Paris, not far from the stupendous Place des Vosges. The buiding itself dates back to the 18 th century, with thick stone walls ( cool in summer). Rooms are very nicely decorated, mostly uphostered in the Normandy style , curtains and bedspreads in Toile de Jouy, very spacious, the top floor ones have beamed ceilings, which adds to their charm. AC, TV, Wi-Fi. Very clean.Excellent breakfast , good coffee ( in fine Pierre Frey China ). reasonably priced. Only flaw, the receptionist ( Russian, I think ) was too busy to be polite.... But that s another story.

I would certainly stay there again, it s very convenient and charming!

Room Tip: Top floor rooms have beamed ceilings...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Toschina_12
London
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Stayed for one night. Brilliant location In the marais. Nice decor- flowery cloth walls and marble. Big French windows. Our room was very quiet and faced onto a courtyard. And staff very helpful when I felt ill in the night.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank SweetBlackAngel
Todmorden
Reviewed August 13, 2012

The Hotel Bretonnerie couldn't be located in a more vibrant, central and interesting district, with a wide variety of shops, bistros and bars on its doorstep. It is in easy reach of the usual Parisian landmarks (no more than 10 minutes walk to Notre Dame) and around the corner from the atmospheric old Jewish quarter, The walk to the Place de Vosges is an easy stroll and the old streets are stunning.
Given its central location, we expected there to be plenty of noise in our hotel room, but it was remarkably quiet - we really could have been in the middle of nowhere! We had requested a quiet room and so we were able to sleep with the windows open without any disturbance.
The room itself was rather quirky in terms of decor but we were not looking for corporate uniformity for this trip. The bed was a little lumpy and the room rather small, but it would be unrealistic to expect a big room at a reasonable price in central Paris, especially since it is an old building.
We found all the staff on reception to be extremely helpful, knowledgeable and welcoming and the foyer has a great selection of guidebooks and novels to borrow. In all, we would certainly make a point of booking the hotel again as we regularly visit Paris and this has so far proven to be the best located and friendly hotel we have used.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the courtyard are quiet and airy.
2 Thank Justine A