“For those that only sleep in their hotel.”

Atelier Saint-Germain
Ranked #1,037 of 1,796 Hotels in Paris
San Clemente, CA
“For those that only sleep in their hotel.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2011

This small hotel is ideally located almost next to a metro stop on the purple line,(Vavin) which makes it easy to get around Paris. It is a short walk to the Luxembourg Gardens which are wonderful.
The rooms are tiny but decorated well. There is even a small flat screen t.v.. The bathrooms all have a mosaic of a famous french painting, and everything worked well.
There are three rooms per floor and the elevator is so small that luggage goes up after you do. We used the stairs but sent the luggage on the elevator. The desk clerks are all very nice and speak some English. Grab the good map of Paris that they have on the desk. The breakfast is basic bread and yogurt and good if you want to be on the go. We were never at our hotel except to sleep, so the hotel was perfect for us for the price which is very affordable. I would stay there again for that price. There are good restaurants all around it too. Be sure and look for specials and week-end prices which start on Thursday and include breakfast. We paid 125 euros per night for the week-end rate.

Room Tip: Pick a room with a window to the street. Does not feel as claustrophobic.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank tjbeaches

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Korean first
Porto Alegre, RS
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2011

My wife and I stayed in this hotel on our last trip to Paris. The hotel and very well located, the rooms are good, standard Paris, clean, fairly large, air-conditioning and refrigerator. There are many restaurants and cafes close to the hotel, so do not take coffee in the hotel. The metro station is just arround the corner. We recommend it

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ricardo057
Orange, France
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2011

I chose this hotel because the website offers nice rooms with mosaics in the bathrooms. My room was very small and very dark (No. 31), the walls had holes, the tapestry was held by tape ... and I'm always looking for the mosaic! In addition, the hotel doesn't have any restaurant, so, the room for breakfast in the basement and they had an out of stock for fruit juice. To pay 170 euro for this room and 11 euro for this breakfast is abuse! Positive point : the location, 10 meters from the metro and not far from the Montparnasse Tower.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SBL13
Glasgow
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2011

We.ve just returned from six days at this hotel, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it, I'll start with the not so good points. They did nothing to spoil my enjoyment, but they may be things that matter to you. The rooms, like most in this sort of hotel, are small. There is no shower screen or curtain, so it's hard to avoid soaking the floor. There is no drawer storage, and just one small wardrobe, which also houses the minibar.And the lift is the smallest I have ever seen!
The staff are extremely pleasant and helpful. Rooms are cleaned daily, and we had three changes of bed linen in our six night stay. Air conditioning was very welcome, and worked well.The hotel is only a few steps away from Metro line 4, and a bit further from another couple of lines ( which I can't remember ) Bus stops are only a short distance away, and you can get a bus direct to the Invalides and Eiffel Tower, and another one goes to the Louvre. There are plenty of cafes and restaurants, though some are on the pricey side. We paid 15 euros for a beer and a glass of wine in Le Select, just across from the hotel, but the usual cost is 10 euros, which is about average in this kind of area. Having said that, in the Cuban Cafe next door, there is a Happy Hour from 5-8, where cocktails atre 5 euros, and beer is half price. I really enjoyed my stay here, and will definitely return.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mharie
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2011

It's hard to rate an older hotel against newer ones. One may drop the rating because the bathrooms may not be as large or updated as others. Or, as is the case with Atelier Saint Germain (used to be named Atelier Montparnasse), you drop the rating because of the tiny claustrophobic elevator that lifts you up to the sixth floor. So we rate this average, but that doesn't tell the full story. This hotel is perfectly situated in busy Montparnasse. Everything is easily walkable and a half block from the Metro. The hotel is very charming and historic. Each room has an early 1900's custom unique mosaic in the bathroom that has been preserved. An artsy touch. Our room was comfortable, clean and very quiet...we never heard a sound and slept very well. The decor was dated, but the size of the room was slightly larger than some of the other typically small French hotel rooms we stayed in. One very nice and memorable thing was the night staff who checked us in. They were extremely friendly and helpful with a good sense of humor. Since we couldn't fit in the tiny elevator with luggage, they volunteered to leave their front desk post and bring our luggage up on the next trip. They did so with a smile and no expectation of a tip. We enjoyed chatting with them.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PaulofSeattle
East Rochester, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2011

I had always wanted to go to Paris and had researched what I would do when I got there . After much research and using several websites decided to stay at this hotel. I was not disappointed. The staff were friendly and helpful. Which was a big plus considering it was my first trip in Europe, by myself and I don't speak French. The hotel is located near two metro stops as well as a bus stop. The neighborhood is safe and I would walk home by myself quite often. Kim's recommendations on the Cafe's in the area were right on. The area has Cafe's, Bars, movie theaters, Crepe Stands a drugstore everything you could need. Kim and Mustafa would spend time answering my questions about what it is like living in Paris year round, to be a student ect. My room was very comfortable. They pushed two twin beds together, there was a desk and wall mounted tv and a small closet. The bathroom was quite spacious. Everything was very clean and no mold in the bathroom which the bathroom looked brand new. I had read that the rooms in Europe are small so I had expected something smaller so I was pleasantly surprised. I really only spent time in my room sleeping because I am a get out and see the town type of gal. If I ever get back to Paris this is where I am staying.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Annebeers
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2011

A very nice hotel in the center of Paris ( in My center of Paris). I have stater thre for 5 or 6 Times' and I like it very much. But hos can the new management have renande it to à place tjat is not even near the new name. However I Will return in Teo weeks and then again. My regards to My friends Bineta, Nina, Kim and Mustafa. Must be the best hotel staff in ( My) Paris

• Stayed January 2011