“Great service with tasty food”
Review of Le Chardenoux

Le Chardenoux
Ranked #515 of 17,597 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Bercy / Nation
Description: Founded in 1908 by the Chardenoux family from the Lozère region, this authentic Parisian bistrot - actually listed as an historic monument - has seen generations of workers and market gardeners, when the countryside was just outside Paris. It is the old-style counter, a piece of their history and those little Bistrot dishes - so friendly, generous and heart-warming - that the Chef wanted to give back to Parisians when he took the place over in 2008. Renovated and refurbished, the Chardenoux has been given a second lease of life, a room buzzing with lively conversation and the tinkling of glasses. The food served features fine seasonal produce, convivial cooking that is always cheerful and lively with that little extra touch of soul and generosity dear to Cyril Lignac. Like at the Chardenoux des Près, the chef has put together a menu that gives pride of place to genuine Parisian bistrot specialities, not forgetting the finest products from French soils. In a room that seems almost suspended in time, the ceiling has a painted sky, and there is also a terrace for 20 diners for lunch or dinner outside when spring rolls around.
Reviewed August 7, 2013

My wife and I dined here for your anniversary following a recommendation from our hotel. We were greeted by a very friendly waiter who offered us the option to eat inside or outside on the street. The weather was lovely so we chose to eat outside.
The waiter (didn't get his name) was very attentive and translated everything into English that my broken and forgotten French could not cope with.
The food was delicious and the deserts are to die for. However, it is not cheap which I was fully aware of, so I would only dine here for a special occasion (average main course ~€25). But for the experience we had it was totally worth it! If you are looking for a delicious meal with a great atmosphere then I recommend this place for a special meal.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

Reviewed July 4, 2013

There are a lot of very nice and popular restaurants in this area, on this street. Another (Bistrot Paul Bert) had been recommended to us, but they were full ... 10PM on a Thursday. So we tried this more elegant place, and were surprised they could accommodate us. They could, with a bit of shuffling.

We had excellent wine (a not-nouveau Beaujolais) ... I think they have a nice list, not small but not overbearing ... and dinners of steak, sweetbreads, tartare and of pollock, all eye-rolling good. Desserts (profiteroles and raspberry tarte) excellent too, the latter pronounced "Maybe the best dessert I've ever had." by a fussy son.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

This restaurant is much hyped due to the TV celebrity of the chef. We went there with a couple of friends and the cuisine got mixed reviews. The asparagus appetizer was a clear disappointment. The main courses were OK to good and the desserts were rather good with a nice free "madeleine" before we left. One of the waiter was nice and the other pretty snobby. You can clearly find better meals in Paris for the same price.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

This restaurant was recommended in our guide book, and we looked forward to it, but the waiters were the least friendly and accommodating of any we encountered during our 18-day stay in France (10 in Paris), and the food was definitely not a good value. My husband and I both had a pork chop that was flavored with a spice that totally overwhelmed the meat, even though the cost of the meal was one of our most expensive.