Hotel Prince de Conde
$715
$679
Orbitz.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewsrue de seineart galleriesla palettejean marcgreat locationshort walkst germainbars and restaurantsspecial thanksheart of parisrecommend this hotelfriendly hotellatin quarterbreakfast roombed was comfortablequiet streetlouvre
Reviewed July 2, 2010

The location is Perfect! Close to everything! Great Shops and restaurants all around! At the corner there is a café which serves the best croissants. It is open all day and my son and husband found it to be a great place to go and watch the world cup games in the afternoon while me and my daughters shopped!
The hotel is small but comfortable. We had two rooms. One was a suite on the 6th floor which was very roomy with a huge modern bathroom. The other room (king room) was much smaller, but comfortable still. We did not do the breakfast. I thought it was rather expensive and there are great places to eat all around there including the corner café.
I would like to add that the staff was friendly (while not being overly friendly), but when we arrived the first morning I thought we were greeted quite rudely. We arrived early (around 9) and knew that we wouldn’t be able to check in, but needed a place to leave our luggage. It was obvious that the girl was not happy to see us. There was not help at all, she just pointed to where we could leave our luggage. My husband asked her if he could get a cup of coffee and she told him that there was none. Now, it was obvious that there were people having breakfast in the breakfast area and I am sure that they had coffee. I found this extremely rude. We had just spent the last 12 hours on the night train, we were checking in for 3 nights, and we had two rooms booked (one being the suite). Do you think they could have spared a cup of coffee!?!
Overall, the hotel was clean, rooms where quaint and well decorated, and the location was excellent. The hotel is small and has no real amenities, but nice.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank sabisf
Reviewed June 8, 2010

My husband and I were in Paris the first week of June, arriving on a very cool cloudy day which quickly turned into 5 days of the first heat wave of summer.

We arrived early on Wed morning and the hotel is easy to get to (RER train from CDG to St Michel, then a 10 minute easy walk). The room was not ready, which was fine, so we made a few calls in the lobby, left our bags and went out until about 3 pm. But I should have heeded the words of 2 couples who came down to the lobby that morning, telling the receptionist that their air conditioning was not working very well.

When we got back Wed afternoon, we were shown to our room -- very small (expected) and pleasantly decorated (pretty colors, a stone wall, nice furniture, very clean, modern bath). We thought we had the right place! We managed to nap with the air conditioning blowing and the window open; between street noise and the TV (French open), the noise was more like background buzz. That night, we closed the window (for quiet) and let the a/c run....but woke up at 5 am in a stifling hot room. We opened the window, which helped tremendously, but left us with a lot of street traffic from 6 am onward...cars, motorcycles, talking, walking etc.

On Thursday morning, we mentioned to the receptionist that our a/c was not working well either. She said that the mechanic had been there and the system needed new filters, which were ordered. At that point, we declined to eat breakfast in the basement breakfast room (which was stifling also) and began the ritual of eating breakfast at nearby cafes on Boulevard St. Germain -- lovely people watching, fresh air, and about 6 euros per person for cafe, juice, baguettes and butter, and croissants. Just right since we wanted to have room for a long Parisian lunch every day.

On Thursday night, we had the same problem -- had to open the window at 2 am, then suffered from noise starting around 6 am. No one updated us on the status of the a/c that day. On Friday, as the daytime temps increased, same thing -- and no progress on a/c

On Saturday morning, I had to dress in front of the window because I was starting to sweat, just getting dressed. We went downstairs and asked if they had any fans for the room -- the receptionist checked the utility closet, but found only heaters, no fans. She didn't offer to ask anyone or find one for us, so we went off to breakfast. At that point, we agreed that we simply had to change hotels because we were not getting any sleep.

We had seen a nice looking, small Best Western property (Best Western Left Bank)around the corner, stopped in and found a big sign for air condtioning -- the real thing! The lobby was attractive and cool, the managers quickly took us to see a room (a very large, "superior" room on an interior courtyard, quiet and cool!), and we booked it. Since the rate included continental breakfast, the total cost was maybe 20 euros more than the Prince de Conde --but with a/c, quiet, a free computer in the lobby, free wireless -- frankly a better value but with equally charming decor.

We went straight back to the Prince de Conde and announced we were leaving -- there was no concern, no apology, nothing.....except a 10 minute wait in a stifling lobby to pay the bill.

I'm not saying that the Prince de Conde is bad, or not worth the money, but you do have to think about how you like to sleep. If you keep the window open, you'll have a lot of noise -- if you want it cool, I don't believe the a/c ever works properly. (My husband knows facilities and it is unlikely that new filters will suddenly make the a/c work properly.) What probably caused me the most concern is that there is no presence of a manager at the property -- there is a receptionist at all times, but they don't seem to be able questions or handle problems -- and they don't offer to speak to a manager, nor is anyone else present. I love small boutique hotels, but only when there is some leadership shown by the management.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank efpatters
Reviewed June 7, 2010

It goes without saying that the location is excellent. We stayed here during a June heat wave, so it was quite warm and the AC system was not up to the challenge. However, this is not uncommon in Paris and we weren't expecting the Crillon. The staff is very lean here, but everyone is excellent. The young lady who was there for most of our stay was extremely helpful and pleasant...she was also gorgeous. The rooms were very clean as was the rest of the hotel. As long as you understand that this is more of a value play, you will have an excellent experience like we did.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 17, 2010

Nice hotel, very well managed and great price/quality ratio.
I've been there with my wife for 3 days, booking one week before and using the intranet site where I've found a special price.
Is located 200mt from st germais des pres and from the Seine, in a beautiful (in my opinion the best) district of Paris, full of restaurants where have a nice dining with a reasonable price, and a very good breakfast in the morning (is not included in the hotel rate, and seems to me too expensive, better go in some of the bistrot around)
We arrived in the early morning and the room was already available.
Friendly staff that helped us in all we needed (most of all tourist infos).

I'll definitely come back when in Paris

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 12, 2010

This hotel was in a great neighborhood within walking distance of the Seine (and the Louvre). There are plenty of wonderful cafes and restaurants in there area as well, and we ate most of our meals within walking distance of the hotel. The only downside to this is that the street can often get noisy at night as these cafes become full (we noticed this especially on weekends). There's no loud music or anything, just a lot of chatting. This didn't bother us, but it's something to keep in mind!

The staff at this hotel is absolutely wonderful. Everyone at reception was extremely helpful and provided us with everything from restaurant recommendations, taxis, and help whenever we asked.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family