“Second visit, still a gem”

Les Rives De Notre Dame
Ranked #698 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed June 7, 2008

When we decided to return to Paris this year, I did a bit of research on other properties and decided to stay here again. We booked directly on the internet and requested the same room we had two years ago. On returning, we found the hotel and the management to be as charming as ever. The managers, Christian and Daniele, and the assistant manager, Nouri, greeted us like old friends (but without being gushy, this is not California, thank you). The hotel is still spic and span and despite some minor work going on in the lobby, everything ran smoothly. The staff were more than helpful with making reservations for a concert and for dinner, and were always happy to chat when they were not busy with other guests. The other guests, by the way, were rarely in evidence, although the hotel was full. That's an advantage of a ten-room hotel. After staying for six nights, we went to Normandy for a few days and returned for one night before going home. On our last day, we were pleasantly surprised to be placed in the penthouse for the night at no extra charge. That is a truly gorgeous, very large attic room with an unobstructed views up and down the Seine, and it would be a fantastic love nest for honeymooners. My only quibble with the hotel is that the breakfast is overpriced and not spectacular. For 14 euros, I would expect more variety and fresher fruit. However, a just a croissant and a cup of coffee anywhere around would probably set you back half that (Starbucks nearby charges about 2.60 for a small coffee), so the convenience is worth it to us. Plus, you get all you want, and nobody interrogates you whether all those madeleines that disappeared from the basket were eaten on the premises or for snacks later in the day. If you can afford a four-star and like the bustle of the neighborhood, you can't go wrong here.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Brophysr
There are newer reviews for Les Rives De Notre Dame

Reviewed March 26, 2008

I stayed in the Rives De Notre Dame for a one-night stay in March of 2008. It was a rare 'splurge' for me, as I usually go pretty basic when travelling alone, saving the big-ticket hotels for when Paige is with me. But I had never stayed in Paris, and seeing the location and views advertised from this hotel, I had to try it, especially since it was only for one night.
I was not disappointed, and you won't be either. The view was fantastic -- I could throw open the casement windows and just watch the street life, the Seine going by, and the awesome view of NotreDame just on the next corner. Seriously, this could be the best view in Paris -- at least from my 4th floor. As I understand it, all rooms face the street, and therefore the NotreDame view. But I'd bet that 1st and 2nd are not as glorious, and the 5th is limited by the dormers.
The room itself was gloriously spacious, with a large bed (queen or double -- not sure), a little round table where you could sit in front of the window, and a small desk. The bath was fine, though no bidet if that is an issue. Everything scrupoulsly clean and in good repair. The front desk staff spoke good English and were helpful on restaurants, metros, and so on.
The location was perfect if you want to stay on the left bank. Tons of restaurants, shops, local color (including the booksellers on the banks). Quick walk to lots of places, including the Louvre, Musee d'Orday, and more.
Breakfast was OK. I dislike paying 14 euors for a scant buffet, but I wasn't in the mood that day to adventure out in the neighborhood for any other breakfast choices. And the coffee was good....
I would definately go back if I were to stay in Paris again (and with a special person...). Could be a very romantic getaway.

Stayed: March 2008
5  Thank danfortuna
Reviewed October 3, 2007

Stayed one night September 23. Perfect location for getting from CDG on the RER. Off at St. Michel, then about 3 bolcks. Looks out toward the Seine, with some view of Notre Dame. Small, but charming room. We were on the second floor, and we thought it was noisy. Paid around $400 for the night--I think there are better values, but it WAS very convenient to get to for jet lagged travellers.

Stayed: September 2007
2  Thank tellubob
Reviewed March 5, 2007

This location was fantastic. We were in Room 5 and you can see the Notre Dame from the two windows that look down upon the street. Our room was so quiet which was surprising due to the busy street outside the window. Our room was spacious, clean and comfortable.
We did not choose to do breakfast. We were only there for one night, but I would definitely stay again! I think that the Latin Quarter is the best location for what my husband and I were looking for. We are in our young 30s and loved the music, festivities, bars and restaurants in the area directly behind the hotel. The view of the Notre Dame from our room was gorgeous day and night. .

Stayed: March 2007
2  Thank tbaldera
Reviewed October 10, 2006

We stayed here just for one night. We were asked to pay for our room as we checked in the hotel which we find is not very customer friendly. Our room was on the second floor facing the Seine. We could see the Notre Dame if we stuck our head out of the window, which was nice. The room was spacious and the bathroom quite clean. The carpet was stained and the furniture just didn't seem to match. But what bothered us the most was the smell. We couldn't get rid of the muggy smell even though we left our window open during day. To leave the window open at night was not an option because of the loud traffic. There was an air-conditioner in the room but it was quite loud. The hotel is just worth 3 stars for us and we think that there must be better places to stay for €300 a night exclusive breakfast.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
6  Thank BEAntw
Reviewed October 2, 2006

I have stayed in this hotel for 3 days and enjoyed very much to be in the very heart of the city. You can walk out anytime to see Notre Dame, even at 2 o'clock in the morning if you wish, the "bouquinistes" are right in front of you if you look out of the window - perfect. Standard rooms are really small but charming, the personnel helpful and smiling. Only the buffet breakfast is something I could imagine to be better as sometimes you have to go upstairs to ask for some more bread or sausage. As a whole I would recommend it to honeymoon couples and those who love charming little hotels.

• Stayed: November 2005, traveled on business
6  Thank Borbala
Reviewed February 6, 2006

We enjoyed our stay very much. We reserved the room via email while in London. We had room 8 on the 4th floor. The room was the blue room from the website. Large room with two windows and large bathroom.

Staff was very attentive to details and our needs. They keep a copy of Periscope at the desk and will look any up for you. We had breakfast delivered to the room and it was a big tray! We have been to Paris 3 times now, and would stay there again!

Very nice view of the Seine in both directions. Beautiful view of Notre Dame. Sorry I couldn't include a photo of Notre Dame, file was too large to post.

• Stayed: January 2006