“Very nice and friendly hotel”
Review of Hotel Montmartrois

Hotel Montmartrois
Ranked #1,727 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
Amsterdam
“Very nice and friendly hotel”
Reviewed August 16, 2008

I must admit that finding the hotel was a bit of a pain.
Rue de chevalier de Barre is appearently a sort of a backally going up a steep slope, that splits in two, the one to the right is the proper street to go into. Taxi`s have a hard time finding it because there are no cars allowed in this street.
I must say I was looking for the hotelsign that was in the pictures when I booked the place, however it took some time to find it.
It was hidden between de overgrown trees in this dark little alley.
It was a clean alley none the less, no dog poo or trash of the sort.
Upon entering one cannot but notice that the hotel is in an alarming state of disrepair, just about anything there is broken or or about to, however they were appearently working on it. Because the second day of my stay they decided, how marvellous, to give my room a lick of paint. It was quite a sensation to find out the lengths they went to make me feel welcome in the hotel. Of course I had to take the terpentine fumes as a mildly unpleasant bonus, but really, the smell wore off after a day or so.
It`s guest were, to my delight, a tourbus full of slightly rowdy Russians. Appearantly their rooms had no lavatory so they had to use the bathroom in the hallway which they would occupy very loudly and frequently deep in the night.
My room had a beautiful Flatscreen TV but not a remote to be found, oh well I am not that fond of French television anyhow.
No instructions to be found anywere, for example I had to ask the frontdesk how to use the phone dangling off my wall.
At night there is a really nice congregation of the neighbourhoods multiethnic inhabitants hanging outside the hotel drinking beer, smoking and being generally merry and somewhat loud. But nothing an angry outcry and chucking a cup of water, could not cure.
So after all these comments:
Why do I not give this hotel a well deserved Terrible rating?
Because, some things were nice about the place, I expected a bad place and it turned out not so bad. It was generally clean.
The staff was nice. I liked the breakfast, it costs 5 euros and you get a generous authentic french breakfast (croissant, bread, butter and jelly) with a big cup of coffee (and refills) and plastic cup of jus d' orange.
The location is a short climb to the beautiful Sacre Coeur and some nice restaurants.
And lets face it, I never had the intention of going to a great city like Paris, just to sit in the hotel all day... I needed a fairly priced place to sleep and explore the beautiful city of Paris. And in the Montmartrois I found exactly that.

• Liked — location close to Sacre Coeur
  • Disliked — It`s bad state of repair
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank MrMingNL

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Polish first
Wiltshire, UK
Reviewed April 17, 2008

Someone has written of this hotel, "I would never, never, never recommend it, not even to my enemies." I couldn't agree more.

I say this, although I must admit I never stayed there. I booked 3 nights, but when I arrived, I was told the toilets were blocked, and I was going to be put in the other hotel. The other hotel is very nearby, but is probably the worst hotel I've ever stayed in. Amongst other things, the bed was dirty, the light in the room was broken and the toilet wouldn't flush. It also advertised a rate that was €25 per night cheaper than Hotel Montmartois.

The next morning I went to Hotel Montmartois to complain that I was getting something that was €25 cheaper than what I'd paid for. I was told that the difference was because of the travel agent's fee. When I asked for an explanation, the manager became very angry and agressive. He came round his desk shouting and gesticulating, and stared at me from 2 inches in front of my face. Then he shouted at me, "Get out, get out!". He obviously thought he could intimidate me rather than answering my complaint.

When I said that I had paid for a his hotel, which was of a better standard than the place he had sent me, he said "it is the same standard." I said that if that was the case, his hotel must be very poor. He said, "Yes. It is a low standard." I didn't ask why he was charging €25 more than the next-door place, if the standard was the same.

In the end, I didn't get any money back. I wholeheartedly regret booking this hotel. I ignored the bad reviews. You should not make the same mistake.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk

Travelers are raving about these Paris hotels

london
Reviewed February 4, 2008

Standard is weak but for teenagers on a school trip it was ok.
The shower was loose and small, beds were ok. breakfast was poor. service was friendly and ok location was very good.
wouldnt reccomend for anything other than a school trip.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — room quality
  • Stayed January 2008
Constanta
Reviewed October 1, 2007

It was a great hotel. i would stay there every time I go to Paris. The room was perfect for me. If you go to Paris it's obvious you don't go there to stay in your room so all you need is a bed and a bathroom. It was perfect.

Stayed August 2004
Sofia
Reviewed September 8, 2007

We arrived at about 9 p.m. on 27 August and we were given our keys quite quickly. Our room was big enough, but it was dirty and smelling. After a late romantic walk to Sacre Cuer Chirch, which was nearby, we went to bed. In the morning my friend and I both complaned to each other of having a biting feeling through the night. In the next evening, after a long walk through Paris, we decided to check our beds toroughly first. We found in both beds some black buggs! We killed them and tried to sleep. In the morning, after a sleepless night and after founding some more buggs in our beds, we alarmed the receptionist. At first he insisted that the buggs must had flied in through the windows, but because we insisted on the buggs beeing in our matresses and blankets, he promissed to change our beds /the whole of them/. In the second evening we did found new beds and matresses in our room. But, when I prepared to go for a shower, I couldn't find one of my bathing shoes! The maid had probably took it with the sheets without noticing.
The staff seemed bored and unfriendly, the breakfast was very poor.
Don't stay at this hotel if you want to spend a pleasant vacation in Paris!

• Liked — It was near 2 metro stations and some sightseeing spots
  • Disliked — Cleanliness and service
  • Stayed August 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank maraik
Sofia, Bulgaria
Reviewed May 28, 2007

The hotel is sutuated 5 minutes northern from the Montmartre Hill (Sacre Coeur Church). That means, the small restaurants in the artists" quarter are near by. But the only true direction from the hotel is south - upwards the hill. In the other directions there are strange people from african or arab origin walking or staying in the streets and trying to make unwished contacts with you.
Of course, the rooms are not large, but the bathroom is large enough to be placed bath tube. The breakfast includes: one croisant, one small roll, jam and one (no more!) cup of coffee.

But the attending personnel is absolutely unpleasant. The waitresses give you an ultraangry look if you try to order second cup of coffee. Juice is available, but the waitresses do not make any effort to serve it or even to ask you. Formal greetings like "Bone jour, Messier" or "Bone jour, Madam" are "terra incognita" for them.
TV sets are available (50 Euro cheap Chinese production) in the rooms but they cannot work without remote control set. The receptionist (daily shift) refuses to give you the remote control set without deposing an ID card for the whole period! That means you can use the TV-set but you should remain without ID card in Paris?! The night receptionist refuses unconditionally to give the sacred remote control set (they shold be locked anywhere, he said).

During the first night one of my colleagues and his wife were terrbly beaten by bugs! We have photographies from their beaten hands ang legs but the sight is unpleasant, The night receptionist was signalized immediately but he refused to replace the tourists to another room. The replacement was done the day after, but in the infected room were accomodated immediately another unhappy guests. NO COMMENT!

I will never,never, never, never recommend this place even to my enemies!

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The staff
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank Blagun_Kalchev
Sunderland
Reviewed April 26, 2007

After just returning from Paris with my boyfriend, i thought it would be good to check on the hotel reviews posted here, and to be fair the reviews are extremely harsh considering this is a 2* hotel at a fair, almost cheap price for Paris.

Yes the rooms are small, but the bathroom has everything you need and above all they are very clean, the staff were all very helpful and tried to assist wherever possible. A few steep banks are at the

The location of the hotel was amazing, close to Anvers metro, we mangaged to see the majority of the city in just 2 and a half days. We probably spent all of 15 mins max in the hotel each day whilst changing and or course to sleep (which was very comfortable).

If you want a 5* stay with breakfast in bed and you are willing to pay for rooms you barely stay in, then book a hotel in the centre of Paris, however if you want a simple place to have breakfast and to sleep, price, location and convienience is at Hotel Montmartrois!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple