“Great location - basic accomodation”

Hotel Roma Sacre Coeur
Ranked #955 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
cardiff
“Great location - basic accomodation”
Reviewed May 11, 2011

We booked the hotel via Expedia for a 3 night trip.

The location right by the Metro Lamarck Caulaincourt was an excellent location.

Although you could not check in until 2.30 pm there was no problem in leaving your bags, as long as you dont mind leaving them in reception.

The room was basic and a slightly weird set up. In that the toilet was separate from the bathroom and situated just inside the rooms entrance, but in order to get into the toilet you had stand over the toilet in order to shut the door. Once you sat on the toilet you would quickly realise that it was not secured to the wall and was a bit rocky.

The sink plug hole rim was coming away and needed to be fixed.

The noise of the road outside was noticable but I never travel without earplugs so that was not a problem.

The landing lights did not always work - so take care.

I am not sure when the air conditioing is turned on because it wasnt during our stay but the staff gave us a fan with no charge for use during our stay.

The guy on the desk (the one from Cardiff) was very helpful and polite.

Room Tip: Larger people beware small lift & toilets
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Korean first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 18, 2011

Had 3 nights here in late March 2011.
The hotel is very nice with wonderful decorations. It is typically Parisian in its style with it being tall and thin.
The rooms we had was number 526 it was a nice corner room with seperate bath and toilet, double bed and a nice view over the streets below. The room was a little bit tired in its decoration but this didn't effect our stay at all.
There was a safe in the room and a flat screen tv with a few news channels. The bed was comfy and there was extra pliilows.
The guy on reception was very helpful (the one who was from Cardif) and was had a few laugh during our stay.
The breakfast was continental style but was filling enough for us.
There is a shop down the road from the hotel for crisps and bottles of coke ect and there is a awsom bakery and cake shop on the road below. There is also two restaurants nearby we recomend the one opersite the metro enterance is was friendlier.
The main benefit of this hotel is the location. A few seconds walk (down the steps) to the metro Lammarc Calencourt. We used this loads as is a cheap and very fast way to get around. We purchased a "Paris Visite" card that allows unlimited use of metro, train and buses and did all the tourist stops. It has to be mentioned that the metro is not allways accessable for those of us with walking issues as there is loads of steps to manage.
That said once you get there the metros run every few minutes and is the best system I have ever used.
Dont be put off by the rumours that the French are rude. We found them very polite and helpful but I would advise you at least try to speak French as it gets you a lot further with the locals.
We didnt bother with a transfer from the airport as was expensive. We used the RER train that took us to Gare du Nord and then the metro. Was easy as long as you dont have big cases or bags.
The other benefit of this hotel is that it is close to the artist quarter and the Sac Re Cur and the Moulin Rouge and the area itself is pretty quiet and wonderfully Parisien.
Take a good supply of money as everything is expensive, 4Euros for a coffee. and a decent meal will set you back about 50euro each.
I would recomend the Moulin Rouge as it was the best dinner show I have ever seen. but you can book it at the door and it saves you a fair few euros if you do. That said we had a dinner and the show on the 8pm sitting and cost us 150 euro each.
I would recomend you take some ear plugs for sleeping though as the sounds of the street can come through the Period windows in the early morning.
That said we had a great stay and would recomend it to anyone who is looking for a sight seeing city break in the real paris that is cosy and welcoming.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jimmy1212k10
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 18, 2011

I researched this hotel after spending ages looking for a decent quality budget hotel in Paris. It seems they are few and far between...! The reviews seemed ok so my friend and I booked it for 3 nights during the Easter Break. I was a little anxious on the way there, as I was responsible for the planning of the trip and didn't know why we would walk into.

But it turned out to be a fantastic stay and when I return to Paris, I will definitely stay there again. The room was clean and smelled nice everytime we walked into it. It was a little on the small side but we were fine and found it to be adequate enough for our needs. The bathroom was clean and modern.... We were missing a shower curtain but we got by! The view was lovely and we had a smoking room which is always a bonus. Included was free WiFi and we didn't have to pay for the use of the safe either.... That's surely more than 2* quality? The guy who works the afternoon shift in reception was really friendly and helpful - always there to offer advice or even come up to the room (if your like me and can't work out how to use a safe!).

The location is also fantastic.... Not far from the Moulin Rouge (although i'd avoid that at night), close to the Sacre Coeur and eight next to a metro which can get you just about anywhere in Paris. I'd recommend the Place du Terte which is just up the hill next to the Sacre Coeur, u really get a feel for what Montmartre is all about there with all it's restaurants, shops and artists.

The only negative thing I would say about the hotel is the noise level... The walls are very thin which means you can here the creaks from people walking in the hallway or toilets flushing! The hotel is also right on the street so you can hear traffic... But to be fair, we did so much during the day and along with the many glasses of wine, were too tired to let it bother us!

I would say, if your looking to experience Paris properly then stay in thus hotel which is full of character and quirkiness!

• Stayed April 2011
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed April 9, 2011

My daughter and I stayed at this hotel for a week and we thought it was decent for the money. The best thing about the hotel is its location. Montmarte is a beautiful area sitting just on the edge of Paris' outter ring. There are lots of great places to eat and the hotel sits right on top of the metro. Traveling with a young child, safety was of great importance for me. I felt very safe walking around the area, even after the sun began to set.

We booked through Expedia, and didn't realize that we wouldn't be allowed to eat breakfast in the hotel because of it. I was a little ticked about that because though the hotel was for the most part a budget hotel, it was still a bit costly. BUT, there is a little cafe that sits just across from the Metro that opens early. We ate there pretty much every morning and only spent about 5 - 6 Euros.

The room was clean for the most part. It was very small, so you had to keep everything packed up in your suit case and sit it in the bottom of the closet. Otherwise, you'd trip over it everytime you went to get into bed.

The bed wasn't all that comfortable, but after a long day of sight seeing....we really didn't notice. We were just happy to have some place to catch a few winks. The bathroom could stand a little maintenance. Overall, it was very clean, however, the tub needed caulking and there were busted tiles along the side exposing some of the piping. Luckily, I can't see very well without my glasses so it would disappear as soon as I took them off and I could take a shower without being grossed out. For anybody with 20/20 vision, it would have been a big issue.

All of the daytime staff were excellent. They were very friendly and most helpful. After that first shift left.....it was like talking to statues. They were cold and unfriendly. It could have been the hours they were working, I don't know. At any rate, I learned not to say anything but my room number when I walked into the lobby after 5pm.

Some folks complained about the noise. I personally didn't think it was all that bad. It wasn't like it stopped me from sleeping and after 11pm or so, it was dead silence.

Overall, I thought the hotel was pretty good for the money we paid. Paris is very expensive, so I wasn't expecting it to be like US hotels. I enjoyed the exprerience, the good and the bad.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank SouthernGirlUSA
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 4, 2011

My partner and I arrived at the Hotel late on an evening and were checked in. Unfortunately we had requested a double room but a twin room was provided. I am not sure if this was because we are a lesbian couple but I was too exhausted (and not fluent enough in French) to object!

Our room was quite small but clean and with a lovely view of Parisian rooftops and beyond into the city. The shower was lovely and the water was always hot. We could not figure out how to use the safe but there was one in the room! There were no tea and coffee making facilities which would have been nice. We used the mini-bar-but only to store cheese and drinks in that we had purchased as it is overpriced.

We did not try breakfast as I had read previous reviews saying that it left a lot to be desired and there are plenty of lovely bakeries near by for croissants and baguettes and eight euros for breakfast was a little on the steep side for us.

There are several things that were not great about the hotel but, as a budget hotel, we were not expecting luxury. Firstly, our room was right next to the small lift and it was noisy throughout the night with other guests coming and going.

Room Tip: * Our room 501 had a great view
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
leamington spa,
Reviewed April 1, 2011

stayed at this hotel with a friend at the end of march, had a great time in the city, and staying at this hotel helped with that, its location was brilliant, tube station is under the hotel, and the line is a good one, can get to anywhere. the service on the front desk was fantastic, always very helpful and easy to appoach, rooms were cleaned very well too.
down side; the walls were paper thin! we had room number 401 which was next to the lift, so was noisy, if you are a light sleeper like i am, the first night i felt like every bit of noise woke me up, also little bit of noise from the resturants below in the night, but some earplugs would have helped ( dont let this put you off) we paid a bargin price to stay here and looking at all the paris buildings i bet all the hotels are the same! is a great little hotel, with a fab location. yes i would go back but with some earplugs!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Guelph
Reviewed March 4, 2011

The elevator is small and the walls are paper thin. The morning breakfast is good and we received more than I would have originally thought. It is very close to the subway station. It is a fair hike( upstairs) from the subway platform to the subway exit. It is even more stairs to the hotel entrance. The fatigued or more importanty the mobility challenged should take note of the access issues although there is a small elevator in the hotel itself.
The hotel is located within minutes of Sacre Coeur.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple