“Bijou and beautiful”

Ranked #229 of 1,801 Hotels in Paris
Melton Mowbray, United Kingdom
“Bijou and beautiful”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Certainly Hotel de Banville is a little far out but actually only a 15 minute walk from the Arc
de Triomphe and so near to Porte de Champery Metro. It's a delightful place to stay - the
staff are super friendly and helpful, we found it very clean and had no difficulty at all with
noise and we stayed in Amelie. The view was just perfect and perhaps we were lucky with
our neighbours but we heard nothing. As we were only there for 2 nights we did have
breakfast which was absolutely delicious if expensive and the only problem was the seating
which was low and not very comfortable. The benefit of being a little further away from the
tourist traps was that the whole area was cleaner and quieter and the restaurants nearby
were excellent. Probably best not to ask the hotel to book a taxi as it will already have
about 12 euros on the clock when it arrives - walk up the road and pick one up. All in all
Hotel de Banville makes a stay in Paris a complete pleasure and encourages you to explore
different areas of the City.

Room Tip: We stayed in Amelie at the front and the view was superb. If you want a walk in shower then ask sp...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank louise s

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Turkish first
oxford
Reviewed September 10, 2012

We had a superior room at the front and it was noisy if you opened the window so if you want less city noise ask for a side room. It's well appointed and attractive and the staff are welcoming, but it's attention to detail is not perfect. we stayed three days and although we were out all day we came back at 4 to find our room unserviced on the first day and at 3.30 on the second day to find the same. A mild inconvenience but that and, the fact that there was no shampoo provided, an oversight I am sure but it left me shampooing my hair with bubble bath.
Breakfast is not included on most deals and it is a steep 20 euros a head. Coffee is 5 or 6 euros so the extras can add up. RER and metro are nearby and take you in 20 mins to musee d'orsay or the louvre or the Eiffel tower. It's a good standard and other than the little hiccups above I am happy to give it 4stars.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 9, 2012

I found it amusing to see that someone left a review a couple days ago titled "Not for honeymooners" considering I'm in the Amelie room right now (we check out today after 6 nights) on my honeymoon. I wouldn't necessarily disagree with what they had to say, but my advice is to have the correct expectations. I knew about the bathtub without the shower based on other reviews and pictures, so while it was a hassle for my wife at times (I actually liked it because I never take baths back home), I didn't mind it and we both knew about it coming in.

The walls ARE thin. This hasn't really been an issue for us until this morning when our neighbors had guests knocking at 8am and they've been up and about ever since. FYI, as you sleep in the Amelie room, your head is on the opposite side of the wall from the Marie Apartment (I think the couch area). Their door is a couple feet from yours, so when they close their door, it does make a bit of noise. You can hear water running and phones ringing next door as well.

I was a bit disappointed in the quality of the towels, but it's not a huge deal for me. Luckily my wife likes the robes (they provide 2).

Now the PROS: The view! We love sitting outside on the hour before bedtime watching the Eiffel Tower sparkle beyond the lights of the Arc. We also love grabbing food, bringing it back to the room, and eating it out on the balcony. Air conditioning and hot water work great and kick in quickly. In-room safe is super easy to use. Lobby staff all speak English and are super accommodating. Every employee is friendly. Oh, but if you don't tell them specifically not to enter your room, they'll clean it even if you leave the Do Not Disturb sign up. Free WiFi. Bed is pretty nice. Entire hotel is very clean.

The lift is a little small, but it hasn't broken down once while we were here. It does stop at the floor below and you have to take about 16 steps to the 8th floor, but it's not that bad and I wish I'd just brought our luggage up myself when we got here.

Basically, know what to expect before you get here and it'll be fine. I literally told my wife "Well, it seems they did a really good job turning an old apartment building into a pretty nice hotel." Me, I actually like being a little bit away from all the tourists. And no joke, we were deciding between this room and a standard room at a very highly rated hotel that would've been smaller with no view, but which would have come complete with a rainfall shower, larger screen tv, spa tub, and better technologies, top notch shower/shampoo/etc. In the end, I purposely opted for the view plus more space.

I don't know how else to put it, so I'll just say: If you want EVERYTHING in a hotel room in Paris, you'll just have to spend more. Voila; secret's out.

As for being honeymooners, my wife and I lived together prior to even being engaged, plus we got married several months ago, so we're more like tourists than honeymooners. But I suppose if audio privacy, peace and quiet, and the ability to get your superfreak on without anybody bothering anyboey are at the top of your priority list, you should stay elsewhere. I personally just leave the TV on (usually CNN, although there are a few UK channels in English as well) to drown out the noise from other rooms.

Other stuff: There's a Metro stop about 100 yards away (with a McD's next to it) and an RER stop about 200 yards away. There's a real nice bakery just across the street north of the hotel which has baguettes, pastries, salads, and sandwiches. We've become fond of the Fromagerie on the same corner as the bakery. It's great for getting meats and cheeses for your bread or grabbing juice, water, etc. (We've yet to actually partake in the 20 euro breakfast at the hotel.) There's also a wine store across the street. Within a few blocks of the hotel there is fast food, bistros, restaurants (French, Italian, Thai, Chinese, Moroccan off the top of my head), a fruit store, pharmacy, etc.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Steverinie
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Paris is the city of love, but this hotel failed to hit the mark.

The staff were friendly and welcoming, and the view across the rooftops of Paris from the superior and pricey Amelie suite was impressive, but the room and the experience was otherwise lacking. The small room was bland and basic - we had no kettle, tea or coffee facilities in the room until the very last night and even then there were no cups provided. There was none of what you come to expect or what you're paying for at this level: no iPod docking station or radio; very small, thin towels (not good for tall men); only a shower head in the bath tub so you can't have a stand-up shower etc. It was a shame as the staff tried but didn't seem quite on the ball. We were told on check-in that August in Paris is their low season so maybe this had something to do with our experience.

The walls are also very thin between the rooms and we were woken early by the neighbours in the next room arguing and then moving out, followed by the cleaner with the TV on before 9.30am. Not the best wake up call! When we phoned down to reception they did ask the housekeeping staff to stop and come back later, but you could hear the neighbours at other times, especially in the bathroom. Not the most romantic setting!

The hotel is ideal for weekend trips and mini breaks but not honeymoons. My husband had emailed ahead and said that we were on our honeymoon and the reception team offered to make some "special touches". As far as we could see the room hadn't even been checked for the basic elements before or during our stay, it felt incomplete throughout and the special touches weren't forthcoming.

The lesson for honeymooners: go elsewhere or import your own romance as sadly you won't find this at the Hotel de Banville.

Reviewed September 6, 2012 via mobile

I would really recommend this hotel. The staff are so friendly and helpful, the hotel is well located to explore Paris. Rooms are a good size for paris if a little oddly laid out.I enjoyed my stay and would stay again next time I am in paris.

• Stayed August 2012
Fougerolles-du-Plessis, France
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Having stayed in Paris several times it was very refreshing to find a Parisian Hotel that actually welcomed foreign guests. The rooms are excellent and well proportioned (not large, but well layed out). The staff are excellent and cannot do enough to assist/help. Breakfast is good only complaint is that the coffee tables and chairs do mean to have to eat "crunched up a bit" but this should not stop you coming here. For those with poor French, no problem English seems a second language and very well spoken and understood. Will we stay here again "YES" and I would like to take this opportunity of thanking our hosts at Hotel Banville, for an excellent stay. Note some very good restaurants and Creperies within walking distance

Room Tip: Rooms next to the lift do get some noise
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We stayed here last weekend based on the amazing reviews on Trip Advisor. Its great if you want to be away from all the tourists-this is a ghost town area in the summer due to the locals going on holiday to the countryside, however in 20 mins you can walk to Arc de Triumph or in 3 mins you can walk to 2 metro stations and 2 RER (train) stations which get you into the centre of Paris in 15 mins and they are so cheap (euro 1.75 pet journey!)
The booking process was easy and we were able to arrive at 1am with no issues. The hotel is small but has lovely architecture and furnishings. We were upgraded for free to a superior room on the 7th floor which was comfortable. The only things that annoyed us was the lack of an iron and tea/coffee making facilities. Breakfast was also overpriced at 20euros-so we walked 3 mins down the road to a restaurant where we sat outside enjoying the sun for 14 euros each. The workers here spoke excellent English and were very accommodating. A nice quiet hotel which is clean and comfy and pretty but not 100% practical-it depends on what you need. We probably would visit again now we are familiar with the metro.

Room Tip: Pay for classic as theres little difference!
2 Thank Katie D