“"Deluxe" room my eye! Call in trading standards.”

Hotel Le Clos Medicis
Ranked #411 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed December 14, 2013

This was my third stay at this hotel and I've decided it'll be my last which pains me because it's in a great spot and the brasserie on the corner does an excellent breakfast! My first two stays were in standard rooms (one renovated, one not), this time we booked a deluxe room each at E220 per room not including breakfast. I was so annoyed when I entered the drab, tatty and tired room (number 54): dirty wallpaper, peeling in places, dirty paintwork, scratches and other marks on the walls, dirty blinds. The bathroom was OK but needs a freshen-up. To market this "deluxe" is a disgrace.

Before I had even removed my coat, I went to speak to reception. The manager said the room was larger than a standard and had a queen bed, both of which I would have foregone for some "deluxe" elements. He spoke over me, flapped his arms a bit, told me the hotel was full and couldn't offer another room. Our other room (34) was similarly drab and worn. The location, a comfortable bed and its desk staff prevented me from giving a 'terrible" rating. I won't be returning.

Room Tip: Room 23 is a standard room but it's been renovated to a high standard.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank BrusselsExpat188644
ClosMedicis, Gérant at Hotel Le Clos Medicis, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2013

Dear Madam,
We thank you for reviewing your stay with us and we do regret you did not enjoy that stay as much as previous ones. In order to maintain the hotel updated and offer pleasant accommodations to visitors, we do renovate 20% of guests rooms every year. Your are right, the Classic room 23 is a 2 years old one, the Deluxe room you booked for that stay is not as new and in a different decoration style. We do apologize for not being able to offer you an alternative room as the hotel was fully booked. That Deluxe category is planned to be remodeled on 2014 and despite your desapointment we wish you offer us again, the opportunity in respoding your legitimate expectations.

Reviewed December 14, 2013

I chose this hotel solely on location and price - but what a pleasant surprise. A very friendly place, obviously recently redecorated to a high standard and everywhere was spotlessly clean. My room on the sixth floor was charmingly idiosyncratic, en suite bathroom up a narrow spiral staircase from the bedroom, and such a pleasant change from the soulless, identical rooms of the big chain hotels. Also the room was very well equipped and warm. Excellent, good choice breakfast, especially good pot of tea, and in the evening a real log fire was burning in the hearth of the cosy little lounge/bar. All staff very attentive and professional. A real gem of a place, highly recommended.

Room Tip: Room 65 is quite unusual in lay-out and very well equipped and would definitely be my choice for a f...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank WhistlingGypsy

Dear Guest,
The all team thanks you for your kind review and we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We will be very pleased in welcoming you again in the future !

Reviewed December 4, 2013

The location of this hotel is few minutes walk to all restaurants and bars in St German which I highly recommend for you to stay in. This is the area where you want your base to be. Trust me. The hotel is very clean and cosy. I actually think the size of the rooms where great considering its Paris. We had the basic room and we had enough room. Plus who wants to stay in their room in paris anyways? The staff are very helpful and the courtyard is very cute. We didnt have breakfast in hotel as there are many options close by. I will definetly stay there again! Also another note is that the rates from the hotel website are the cheapest compared to booking.com and other sites.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank stars1983
ClosMedicis, Gérant at Hotel Le Clos Medicis, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2013

Dear Guest,
We are very glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we thank you for your kind comment. You are right, best offers and sales conditions are available on our official website ! We look forward to welcoming you once more !

Reviewed November 18, 2013

This is a perfect little spot for a romantic getaway. The rooms are a bit small, and there wasn't much room to put our suitcases; the closet was teeny-tiny. But it was cozy and nicely furnished. The queen sized bed was actually 2 beds put together, so there was a rift in the middle which could be uncomfortable. The pillows were ok. I loved our little view of the courtyard, and the charming window to look out from. It felt private and quiet. The location is perfect and close to everything, as they have indicated on their website. We walked everywhere with no problem. I love the St. Germaine area, which is very closeby. The staff are very friendly, and when I left my purse in the dining area at breakfast, I received a phone call in my room to tell me they put it aside for me at the reception. The breakfast served was perfect, but it took a long time to get coffee!! They did make it fresh for each person, so it is worth the wait.
There was a tiny water leak/drip from the ceiling in the bathroom when we arrived, so we put a towel under it. We were short a towel then, but it was late so we didn't request more towels at that time. We advised them of the situation, and it was fixed the next day.
This used to be a reasonably priced hotel, but that is not the case any longer. The price of US$320-340 per night is a bit steep for what you get. I would still recommend it though--it's Paris and I like small, quaint hotels with character better than big chain ones. Wifi worked great in the room too.

Room Tip: Be aware that the rooms are very small. I booked a Deluxe room (the one with the big blue & gold...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Suzanne E
ClosMedicis, Gérant at Hotel Le Clos Medicis, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

Dear Madam,
We thank you for your kind comment regarding your stay with us and we are very glad you enjoyed it. You are correct in advising rooms are not spacious, especially according to north american standards,that may be the only inconvenience of such a central location (the square meter price in the 6th arrondissement is the highest for the all Paris city). During high season rates are of course higher than low season but best deals are available on our official website all year long !
We will be pleased in welcoming you again.

Reviewed November 8, 2013

I had a wonderful stay in Le Clos Medicis Hotel. Rooms are a little small, but its location pays off, the hotel is located near Luxemburg Gardens, 10 minutes walk to Notre Dame and good access to metr and bus stations. I do not advise to take breakfast, there are lots of bombounieres and small markets where you can buy your daily baguette for 0.7 Euro daily and save some money to have lunch or dinner in some fancier place. Loved Paris and the hotel, would definetely come back!!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Gilbertoks87
ClosMedicis, Gérant at Hotel Le Clos Medicis, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2013

Dear Guest,
We thank you for your kind comment and we are very glad you appreciated your stay with us. We wish to welcome you again !

Reviewed October 14, 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Le Clos Medicis for 1 week. We got one of the delux rooms paying a little bit more. The rooms were all very small as is normal in Paris unless you have large cash to spend. However, in the end are you there to sit in your room or to get out and see the city? We had a nice comfortable king sized bed (I am 6' and my wife is 5'10"+ so we needed this), and I have had back surgery so the bed is very important. I was comfortable every night and we put in a lot of miles during the day. The bathroom was good, having the usual shower with a hand held shower head, but we expected this. Our room had 2 sets of french doors out onto a good sized terrace that gave us another place to hang out. It was overlooked by other windows but we did not really expect true privacy anywhere in Paris. Our room was #12 by the way in case you wanted to request it. The room had a small desk and chair and a single closet. This was enough for us and the closet had a small room safe ofr our valuables while we were out of the room.

The staff were great, they spoke English. recognized us instantly when we left or returned, as you must leave the room key with them when you go out. The plug adapters I bought worked ok but the configuration was different than I expected. There was a single plug in the bathroom that had both 220V and 110V fo we would have been ok without anything else. They did provide free WiFi although it could be a bit slow at times.

The location was fantastic for our needs, right around the corner form the Luxembourg Gardens, right off the Blvd. St. Michel and a short walk to the river, Notre Dame, the Cluny Museum and several metro stops. There was a great crepe place right next door and the most wonderful cafe, Le Rostand, around the corner. Only three or four doors down was a boulangerie/patiserie with the best things and very friendly staff. We did not eat at the hotel as the cafes were numerous and a bit cheaper. Also we wanted as much of the Parisian experience as possible.

A special recognition to our front desk clerk Monsiuer Vu, he was awesome and we had a nice conversation about current events, his home land (Vietnam), and even helped me with my French pronunciation. I looked forward to seeing him each time we got back to the hotel holding out our key and wishing us a good evening/day.

We used the stairs every time except when bringing our luggage in and out. It was the smallest elevator have ever seen, barely fitting me, my wife, and our two medium sized bags. We literally were touching all four walls when we had our two bags with us. It worked though.

There was a small mini-bar fridge but it was packed and could not hold much else. We were able to put in 2 cans of soda, 1 small jar of jam and a smaller jar of olive paste, that was it.

Pros: location, staff, bed

Cons: size of room (if you want more you should be prepared to pay for it)

I would stay here again and would recommend it.

Room Tip: Do not expect rooms the size of our hotels here in America. Get the best room you can afford, the pa...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank seacoasttraveler
ClosMedicis, Gérant at Hotel Le Clos Medicis, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Dear Sir,
Many thanks for taking time in nicely reviewing your stay at Le Clos Medicis with so many details. We are very pleased you enjoyed it and we look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

Our introduction to Paris was Le Clos Medicis. We stayed here for 5 nights in September 2013. Although rooms were small, including a small double bed when one is used to a king size, it was very comfortable and the other "pros" far outweighed the "cons".
The rooms were clean and fresh, bathroom although small, had a separate shower, and toiletries supplied. Room was air-conditioned which is a must when weather is warm as it was during our stay. Breakfast was fresh, wholesome and plentiful. You could eat inside, although small, or outside in the garden which is such a lovely spot. The staff are only too happy to cook you some fresh eggs, or make a cappuccino or latte for you to have with your breakfast. Always greeted with a smile and a "Bonjour" each and every morning.
Reception staff were just as welcoming, always trying to please.
Location was perfect for exploring all the "must do's" in Paris..... 3 minute walk to Luxembourg Gardens, 20 minute flat walk to Notre Dame Cathedral, 5 minute walk to closest Metro Station. 25 minute walk to the Louvre, Tuileries gardens.
A perfect spot for restaurants, shopping and Metro transport, a very lively area, but very quiet in Hotel.
Would gladly stay here again and definitely recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: Room overlooking courtyard are quiet as they are internal, but have a window opening onto courtyard.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ALC62

Dear Madam, dear Sir,
Thank you for your kind comment en recommendation regarding your stay with us. We are very glad you appreciated it. The all team does its best for providing a good level of service and a pleasant atmosphere, it's always nice to hear they pass !!
Looking forward to welcoming you again.