“What a dump!!!”

Hotel Elysa Luxembourg
Ranked #662 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed November 4, 2013

I absolutley cannot believe the number of positive reviews about this hotel on TA. I've double checked over and over to make sure this was the same hotel that we stayed at, and to my shock, it is.

This place was awful. To pick the top three worst things, I would start with the service. The staff completely could not care less about being helpful or kind in any way, but were rude and borderline mean-spitited. My experience with each person working was bad, including two of the employees clearly talking about me within earshot. Second, is the overall ambiance. The lobby is unkept, with crooked picutures on a wall, clutter everywhere, and NOT AT ALL what it looks like on the website. The rooms themselves a bit better and are generally clean, but the common areas ruin that -- by the time you get to your room, you are disguisted. Finally, despite the location being good in proximity to certain things, the street itself and the surrounding spots of abandoned bars and run down bakeries made it a less than desireable location.

I love Paris and have stayed in hotels in a similar star / price range and have never had anything nearly like this. And I didn't realize how much the hotel would impact our stay, but it really did. I hope this hotel fixes its false advertising and offensive customer service.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank margitarcher
Patricia A, Directeur général at Hotel Elysa Luxembourg, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2013

Dear Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to post a comment, we really appreciate all feedback.

I sincerely regret that we did not live up to our usual high standards on this occasion and apologize for the various disappointments encountered. We pride ourselves in our high level of guest service and regret that we did not live up to your expectations on this occasion.

We are really disappointed to read this comment after your stay, we usually answer immediately to any request from our customers.

With regards to your description of our location and premises, we are sorry to disagree. A lot of our customers have enjoyed their stay with us and keep choosing our convenient location.

The Manager
Patricia Andres

Reviewed October 21, 2013

We had been staying in the hotel for 2 nights in Superior Room. The hotel has a great location. We took RER B from the Airport and the exit from the Luxembourg station is just literally around the corner from the hotel's entrance. We found that very convenient. Also the hotel in situated in the heart of Latin Quarter and Notre Dame in just 10 min walk away. Luxembourg Gardens are just across the street. The Louvre is 20 min away on foot along the beautiful riverside. In the hotel’s neighborhood there are a lot of small shops, groceries, pharmacies and even a small market square. The hotel is very cozy and clean, all the people at reception were very helpful. Our room was surprisingly spacious by Parisian standards. While having made the booking I requested the room on the upper floors as I had read in the reviews that the view is better from there. The hotel stuff fully complied with my request and we even had a balcony with the view on the Tour Eiffel!! That was just great. If you want a better view please ask for the rooms on the 4th, 5th and 6th floors ending with 05, 04, 03. We had the room 505. The bathroom was big enough well equipped with a good shower stand and it was extremely clean. We had one big bed and it was very comfortable. Although the windows were facing the street it was very quite during the nights. The hotel served continental breakfast but we didn't take it because we considered it rather expensive. 14.5 eur per person. We breakfasted out all the time as there are tons of places around which are less expensive. One more thing: the hotel has a tiny lift. There were two of us and a medium size suitcase and we hardly made into the lift. So if you have more than one suitcase you will have to do several trips up to your floor. But I think small lifts are traditional to Paris as well as small hotel rooms. This cannot consider as a drawback. We will definitely come back again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Lazmarin
Reviewed October 19, 2013

We stayed for 5 nights in this hotel. This is my second visit in Paris within one year so here are my quick comments. Location is good, although I found it not as nice looking as the other area I stayed first which was next to Vavin metro station. If you are looking for good location, clean rooms and breakfast buffet, this is the place. It is a few steps from the Pantheon and Luxembourg Gardens. The train station (RER) was only 3 stops away from the Gare du Nord. I didn't like the elevator (so tiny and annoying) so stay in lower floors so you can use the stairways. I think it is a 3 star hotel as listed, and don't expect more. My disappointment was with reception, one of the guys didn't even know the names of nearby restaurants on the same street. Breakfast was ok, cheaper than most hotels in Paris. Now, if you are looking for romance, more modern look and better restaurants nearby, don't come here. I compared to my previous visit and I regret this choice. The only reason why I stayed here is because I needed 2 beds for my daughter and this was the best deal so close to downtown. Otherwise I recommend a chic boutique such as Academies et des Arts Hotel. Great location, excellent service and amazing rooms.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Otali
Reviewed September 27, 2013

This is a very comfortable hotel in a good location, just a minute from the Luxembourg metro station and Luxembourg gardens and five minutes walk from the Latin Quarter. The staff are friendly and helpful, the bed was very comfortable and the room spacious. Like a lot of Paris hotels, however, there was no shower, just a hand-held shower attachment on the bath. We didn't try the breakfast, preferring to go out in the morning. Compared with British hotels I felt it was a little on the expensive side, but probably not by Paris standards. We booked it because of the location. If it had been 30 euros a night cheaper I would have given five stars.

2  Thank galanthus08
Reviewed September 24, 2013

A very nice hotel with good location (c:a 100 m walk from the RER direct train from CDG). A nice area with a lot of bars and restaurants. Walking distance to a lot of sight-seeing. The room was bigger than many rooms at other hotels (18 m2, superior room). A very quiet and nice room. When we arrived the staff had a surprise for us. A bottle of champagne and delicious choclate (to celebrat our wedding day). Very much appreciated.

1  Thank Marie V
Reviewed September 17, 2013

My husband and I recently spent a week in Paris and decided to book the Elysa for the entirety of our stay. Though the hotel was a bit more than we had originally hoped to pay, in the end, we were both glad we made the extra little splurge. Of course, it is Paris so most hotel rooms are not very spacious and the Elysa is no exception. However, there was plenty of room for us to keep our things and there were two beautiful windows to let in sunshine and fresh air. The bed was comfortable, the room was quiet, the bathroom clean and nicely done. There is air conditioning and a small fridge in the room which we appreciated. The hotel has a great location, just down the street from the Luxembourg Gardens, an RER/Metro line and plenty of things to do/see/eat nearby.

1  Thank jkp03
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Walking distance to major sight-seeing, shopping and good restaurants in Latin Quarter & Blvd St Germain. Close to SNCF train station for other cities. Most importantly the hotel offers good service, especially the staff at the reception desk, very polite and attentive. Highly recommended

1  Thank eelmike