“Great position and exceptional service”
Review of Bel Ami Hotel

Bel Ami Hotel
Ranked #173 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed June 17, 2014

We had a great 5 days in Paris staying at this well positioned hotel should you wish to stay in the 6th Arr. The property itself is not exceptional. The rooms lack adequate cupboard space and the bathroom is 'squeezy' but the beds are comfortable,clean and otherwise the rooms are ok.
HOWEVER the Concierge Team are exceptional and definately enough of a reason to return.
Nothing was to difficult for them and all was accomplished with a smile and with aplomb.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are best
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
BelAmiHotel, Directeur général at Bel Ami Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2014

Dear guest,

We apprecicate you taking the time to share your experience with us.
Thank you for your kind comment on our concierge team.
Laurence Guinebretière.
General manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,260)

Reviewed June 17, 2014

We stayed at the Bel Ami 2 years ago and had a wonderful stay. The location is absolutely perfect and though it is not a 5star luxury property, it was a lovely hotel with an extremely helpful concierge. The neighborhood is fun and lively, and close enough to the river that you can still walk to the right bank in under 20 minutes. Check out Brasserie Lipp across Blvd St Germain for a great, loud and busy Brasserie with delicous Cote de Beouf!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,We would like to thank you for choosing our propety for second stay in Saint Germain des Près . All the Bel Ami team hope to welcome you again.
Laurence Guinebretière
General manager

Reviewed June 16, 2014

This is a tough review to write, because my opinion of the hotel (good) and the neighborhood (terrible) differ so greatly.

First, the hotel. I have been to Paris at least 2-3 times a year for 20 years. The Bel Ami consistently offers a clean, pleasant and welcoming environment. Every staff member I dealt with was friendly and helpful, from bell staff, to registration, to concierge, to housekeeping, to bar and restaurant staff. The lobby sets the tone, with a simple modern design that now appears somewhat dated but was probably high style 5+ years ago with lots of white, lucite, acid green, neutrals and black accents. A drawback is that it doesn't particularly feel like you are in Paris. Rooms I've seen are all very small, with bathrooms that are particularly tiny and really unworkable for more than one guest. That said, the bathrooms are modern and clean, with nice amenities. Bed and bathroom linens are high quality and very comfortable, including nice bathrobes. But, my last room had a musty and stale odor emanating from the carpet, and walls that were very scuffed and marred and needed repainting. The heating and cooling system never worked in 3 days despite 2 calls to the front desk. This ended up ok, as it was gorgeous weather and I had the window open the entire stay. However, this is when I really noticed how noisy the location is day and night...with a school on rue St Benoit during the day, and a host of loud tourist cafes on this street and the rue Guillaume Appolinaire. The spa and gym are worthy assets to the hotel and were never crowded. Breakfast was also fine, with a generous buffet marred only by mediocre filter coffee and a very high price. So, on the hotel front, you get excellent service and clean but small and sometimes noisy rooms at a relatively higher price. I would not rank this as 5 star but 4.

Now, the location. I hated this past visit to the 6th. It was a perfect time of year to visit Paris, and the weather was breathtakingly beautiful. However, this neighborhood is mobbed with nothing but rude, spoiled American teenagers busy being bored on their summer vacation in Paris while their clueless parents wander around with their fat wallets and loud voices. For block after block I heard nothing but whining English. The Bel Ami is particularly doomed, as its within 1 block of the dreaded Relais de l'Entrecote, the Deux Magots and the Cafe Flore. This was my own fault...it's not like its some secret that the 6th is touristy. But, it just seems to have escalated to such an extreme level that I never want to stay in that neighborhood again. Look to the 7th for better behaved mobs, the 3rd/Marais, or even out to the 11th where you will get a true Parisian experience...yes, with fewer museums and sites within walking distance, but perhaps with a more authentic taste of the city. Or if you have to stay in the 6th, try the hotel d'Aubusson which is more discreet and less in the thick of the masses.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank ajwsf
BelAmiHotel, Directeur général at Bel Ami Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2014

Dear Guest,

I would like first to apologize , It is always sad to read that one of our guest is disapointed.
Laurence Guinebretiere.

Reviewed June 12, 2014 via mobile

-no double glazing at the top floor room which meant you could hear everything on the street (along with the daily 6:15am rubbish truck. Informed reception they simply said that the owner of the place will be informed in the evening
-tiny tv, no knee space between toilet seat and towel heater, closet only partially opens the room is so small.
-little choice for breakfast

Pros:
-modern design
-extremely clean

Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank Bernard D
BelAmiHotel, Directeur général at Bel Ami Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2014

Dear Guest,

I am sadded by your disappoitment which is obviously not the image I wish that you retain of your experience at the Bel Ami.
Please allow me to express my sincerest apologizes.
Laurence Guinebretiere.

Reviewed June 10, 2014

I love this hotel, i will stay here over and over again. The chief concierge is an amazing guy he helped us the minute we walked in . We had issues with our Cab driver who took us to the wrong hotel and kept the meter on. He drafted a letter of complaint on our behalf. The brunch at this hotel is amazing they also offer breakfast buffet which is very good for Paris standard excellent. The manager at the breakfast corner was very nice he let me take food up to my room. The best service i have ever recieved in europe. Thanks alot i highly recommend this place my room was big for paris standard i had space to put a baby crib with no problems a view of St Germain. Lovely place

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family

Dear guest,

Thank you for this kind review that perfectly reflets the level of service that we want to offer to each of guests.
Laurence Guinebretière

Reviewed June 8, 2014

The hotel was a little difficult for my taxi driver to find because it is on a tiny street in the middle of a neighborhood of tiny streets, many of them one-way. But we did get there on the second or third loop around and from the moment I was greeted by the doorman I felt warmly welcomed.

It was bitter cold (December in Paris) so the warm welcome was especially appreciated. They checked me in very efficiently and gave me the key to an utterly charming room on the top floor. It was tiny of course, and the bathroom was also tiny, but I was traveling alone and did not mind that. The best part was that because I was on the top floor the room had tall garret style windows that tilted inward at the top, as the roof sloped. They were covered with heavy draperies that were held back against the bottom of the wall by brass rods. The overall effect was cozy, romantic, and OH! so very Parisian. I never wanted to leave that room.

Sadly, I was only able to spend one night there. I never tried the bar or restaurant because I had dinner elsewhere with a friend who lives in Paris. But I hope to return and beg for a top-floor room again, because that space was magical.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor have cozy garret-style tilted windows. It's a nice reminder that you'...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

We are glad to know that our proprety and our service did meet you expectations.
We all hope to welcome soon .
Laurence Guinebretiere

Reviewed June 7, 2014

You always know what you will get at the Bel Ami - no surprises and consistently lovely service and a great experience. The rooms are clean and nicely decorated and quiet - we had no problem sleeping even though our room was over the street. Comfortable beds, fluffy robes and slippers, a quiet serene atmosphere, a nice lounge with bar service. The breakfast is not cheap but is very generous and a great selection and nice design decor in the breakfast room. We sometimes stay in a cheaper hotel in Paris but end up coming back to the Bel Ami for a treat as it so consistent and you can step out the door to a great paris neighbourhood. The area is perfect for Paris, you can walk to Notre Dame (and Shakespeare & Co), the Musee D'orsay and the Louvre, not to mention up to the Jardin du Luxembourg. There are lots of great cafes for a drink or meals at any time (The Bonaparte or Pres aux Clercs right by the hotel, La Palette on the rue de seine and many more) or proper restaurants (Le Perron, Le Petit Benoit). Walk down the rue du Buci for food options and you'll find what you need if you just want to drop in somewhere fast and casual. I also love the old fashioned atmosphere at the Braissiere Lipp on Bd Saint Germain. Walk around the rue de seine for small galleries, antiques and bookshops and you'll enjoy the window shopping.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
BelAmiHotel, Administrative Assistant at Bel Ami Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for being so thoughtful in giving your appreciation of the time spent with us during your stay at the hotel Bel Ami. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed our property, its location and the staff.
We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again at the hotel Bel Ami.
Best Regards,