“They had no room!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Hotel Duquesne Eiffel
Ranked #196 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed November 7, 2006

Myself and my boyfriend have only recently returned from weekend break in Paris. We booked the Duquesne Eiffel Hotel as it had such good reviews on trip advisors and as it was our first visit to Paris we thought it was a safe bet.
Unfortunately this hotel was the only downfall of the weekend. When we arrived to book in we were told that a "regular customer" had decided to stay an extra night and that they had no room for us even though we had booked on line months before our trip. The hotel found us a room in a nearby hotel which we stayed in for our first night of the trip but then the next morning we had to check out of this hotel and head back to the Duquesne Eiffel hotel to check in, not an ideal situation. Another couple staying in the hotel the same weekend had a similar problem, they had a room but it was not the room they had booked. The hotel itself is quite nice, the staff are very friendly, the rooms are nice and the location is good too. When checking out of the hotel I paid by credit card, I then noticed a week later that the hotel had taken a further payment from my credit card, they never contacted me to say they were making a further deduction or give an explanation for the deduction. I'm currently waiting for them to come back to me on this!
Over all I was very disappointed with this hotel and I wouldn't stay there again!!!!

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
6  Thank >>>>>
duquesneParis, Assistant manager at Hotel Duquesne Eiffel, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2007

Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

I understand your disappointment and I apologize for this situation.
I agree ot is disappointing to have such welcoming but unfortunately we had many problems on that day and we had to accomodate you in another hotel.
We would have preferred to keep you with us in the 1st place.
However, did you ask any refund about the payment, I guess you contacted the front desk.
I hope to see you again and I'm sure you will love your stay, I will do my best for you.

Reviewed October 29, 2006

I just returned from a trip to Paris where my two sisters and I spent three nights at the Duquesne Eiffel Hotel. The hotel is located in a quiet residential area but is close enough to walk to all the attractions, great restaurants and shopping. While the room was a bit small according to American standards, it was very clean, the beds were comfortable and the staff could not have been more helpful. The desk clerks made reservations for dinner and had some good recommendations. They were most helpful in obtaining train schedules for the balance of our journey. The hotel is showing a few signs of age such as scuff marks on the walls in the hall, but our room was updated. I would definitely recommend this hotel.
My overall experience in Paris was terrific - surprisingly, the only rude people were the cab drivers (probably a universal thing) and if you at least made an attempt to speak French, even those with limited English were most helpful.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled with family
2  Thank Carroll2
duquesneParis, Assistant manager at Hotel Duquesne Eiffel, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2007

Hello!

Thank you for your good comments!

You are totally right about rooms, they have to be renovated, we will do it soon.
I apologize about taxi drivers, I feel ashamed, they are not a good image of Paris.

Hope to see you again among us!

julie Palisse

Reviewed October 14, 2006

Thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this hotel - the rooms were spotless and the staff helpful and friendly. Although a little out of the centre we were able to walk to the Louvre and the Eiffel Tower and the Metro is only two blocks away. Would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family
4  Thank Harewood

Hello!

We are glad you spent a good time in Paris, it is always nice to read good comments!

See you next time!

Reviewed October 2, 2006

I was recently in Paris for a conference and stayed for five nights at this charming hotel not far from the Eiffel Tower and les Invalides. The service was extremely friendly and consistent. Breakfasts were solid and the location was good for some tourist things, although not fantastic for others (most nearby dining was tourist oriented and there wasn't much access to authentic local happenings). The only problem - and it was considerable - was my room key/door. After my first night, my key stopped working. The staff were most accommodating, although it became quite annoying to have to ask someone to be let into my room each and every time I needed to enter it. Also, I had some security concerns as a result of this as no one ever asked for ID before opening my door. Of course, this could be because they had excellent memories, but I'm skeptical. So, after one decent night, I had four questionable others. I'd recommend this to someone who wants to stay near the tower, but don't stay in room 11.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled on business
5  Thank Adam R

Hello!

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay.

About the room key, we had many problems and we are going to have new lockers next week! So this problem is now solved.

Regading our memory, to tell you the truth, I still remember you and we only have 40 rooms, so it is quite easy to recognize our customers.

We hope to see you next time.

Reviewed September 18, 2006

The staff at this hotel are lovely. They were extremely friendly and helpful. We had a few hiccups during our stay which they smoothed out with a smile as quickly as possible. (Some issues with the room key, and also our reservation was mistakenly taken down for one night rather than two.) They were also helpful with restaurant reservations, metro directions, etc.

We stayed in two 'superior' rooms at 180 euro per night. The first was pretty basic but acceptable - certainly nothing overtly super about it - clean to a reasonable standard but not to, say, 5 star standard. There were some scuff marks on the walls, slight peeling, etc, but the room did appear to have recieved care, just to be a little bit aging. The second was room 56, with a little balcony and a stunning view of the Eiffel Tower from the desk and from the bed. This room was much preferred! I'd ask for it by number if I stayed here again. The rooms are average European hotel sized, which Americans will find relatively small. This being Paris, you won't spend time in the room anyway.

For our purposes, the location left a bit to be desired - however, we are a bit of a party couple in our late 20s and we like to be able to walk to nightlife. On the other hand, it's a 5 minute walk to the Metro and the hotel is in a lovely, quiet neighborhood. It was also quite easy to take a taxi back to the hotel provided one can remember how to say '23 Ave Duquesne' in French at the end of a night out!

If I were looking for a peaceful relatively inexpensive hotel in Paris I'd definitely stay here again. I'd send my parents here, for example. But next time we come we will probably try to stay somewhere with a bit more street life.

PS -

I'd have to say the Rue Cler is our least favorite place in Paris by a wide margin. It's full of tourists from Ohio talking loudly in English and generally being annoying. No wonder people have a hard time in Paris when they act like that!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
5  Thank jdcooper

Hello!

First of all, thank you for your good comments about the reception staff, it is one of the most important thing in a hotel.

Most of our customers prefer rooms at the fifth floor but we don't have enough rooms with a view, that's why the second superior room upset you. But we are going to renovate the entire hotel in next november, so when you come back it will be so great!

The 7th suburb is one of the quietest area in Paris, if you want to have fun by night, th ebest area is the 8th but it is the most expensive too! 7th and 8th suburbs are cloded and by taxi, you only need 10 minutes to get there.

I hope to see you again and I will give you good advices for party!

Reviewed September 16, 2006

My husband and I booked this charming hotel following all the positive tripadvisor reviews. We made a right decision.

We stayed in two different rooms: Room #25 for the first 4 nights, and in Room #56 for another 2 nights after coming back from our overnight trip to MSM/ San Malo. Both chambles were worth the rate -- cleaned everyday, hot nice shower always.

Room #25 (on the second floor): Only the top 1/3 of the Tower Eiffel was seen, but the room was quite spacious for Paris standard -- two opened suites cases, no problem. Shower w/ bathtub, separate bathroom.
Room #56 (on the top floor): Marvelous view of the Tower Eiffel through the window/ from the balcony, especially when lighted up at night. It even twinkled every hour, at 9, 10 11 and 12 midnight, which perfectly highlighted our stay in Paris. Though the room and bed were rather small, we fitted OK, but may not be such a recommendation for larger people. Shower w/ bathtub, bathroom in the same room.

Service: All the staffs were always so pleasant. People at the reception spoke very good English and helped us finding our way getting around Paris, they were always quite busy helping out people. We also liked breakfast in our room, nice café and kind ladies who brought the plate with nice smile.

Food (dinner): Our No.1 recommendation is 7 me Sud, 10 minutes from the hotel, on the Mont Piquet Ave, always packed with locals and tourists. Try their 20 euros course menu. I had Foie Gras as entrée, Dug Fillet as main plate, and candied pear w/ vanilla ice cream as dessert. The best a la carte was Escargot (in Takoyaki plate). Had two red wine (full-size bottle), and it was 85 euros.

Mariko, Japan

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Mari-makun

Hello!

Thank you for your kind note, you didn't forget the staff (reception and maids) and it is really important for us.

See you soon!

Reviewed September 14, 2006

We made a decision in July to go to Paris in September. Hotels recommended by friends were booked, but the Dusquene Eiffel was available. The great Trip Advisor reviews clinched it. The only room type available online was the comfort double, but the attentive staff responded with the offer of an upgrade to a superior room. Based on reviews, I chanced requesting Room 55, and it was available for four of the five nights we wanted. The fifth night was in room 25.

The room and the hotel were wonderful. All rooms ending in 5 are corner rooms with views of the Eiffel Tower through french doors. Room 55 at the top of the hotel has the best view and a two-sided balcony from which you also can see Sacre Coeur and Les Invalides. The star attraction, of course, is the Eiffel Tower. At night, it sparkles in your window on the hour with the lights installed for the Millennium celebration. Magical, and surely one of the best views in all of Paris. Room 56 next door is smaller but also has direct views of the Tower from the bed. It would be nice if the hotel would put flower boxes and a couple of small chairs and a little table on the balcony. That would make it perfection.

The hotel staff is everything the reviews say and more. They are knowledgeable, friendly, helpful and cheerful and will gladly suggest and make reservations at restaurants and even provide a computer-generated map to them. Even though we had been to Paris before, we really appreciated the advice of the staff. Special kudos to Amanda and Pritti.

As others have said, Rue Cler is just a couple of blocks away behind the Ecole Militare Metro stop. This is a great place for coffee and a pain du chocolat in the morning though your table mates may be Americans armed with Rick Steve's Paris guide. There are wonderful cheese and chocolate shops and a nice patisserie. At the Ecole Militare Metro stop there is a small supermarket with a good selection of wine, fruit and staples.

Use the Metro and invest in the Paris Visite pass, which is good for one to five days of unlimited public transit rides and discounts to some museums and attractions. Buy them at the Metro stations.

We like mussels and went to one of the many Lyon de Bruxelles restaurants. It's a chain, but if moules are your passion, they are good and reasonably priced here.

The nicest restaurant experience of the trip was at Fermette Marbeuf (5 Avenue Marbeuf). Its domed ceiling and tile work were enchanting and the food was superb. There's a 30 Euro fixed-price menu that is well worth selecting. We embellished it a bit, added wine and coffee and the tab was only 101 Euro, service included, for a special night of elegant service and wonderful cuisine.

All in all, a lovely time at a lovely hotel with a lovely staff and a lovely view. A few reviewers seemed disenchanted with their rooms, but they seemed unused to the size of European hotel rooms and the prevalence of glass half-doors on showers. True, some of the rooms at Dusquene Eiffel are small and more basic, but if you can plan a little request room 55 or any of the corner rooms ending in 5. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with family
9  Thank Futuredesigner

Hello!

Thank you for your kind note!

You were lucky to get the room 55, everybody wants it!

Thanks also for the explanation you made about the Eiffel Tower, I should maybe used it on our official site!

You are so nice with the staff! It 's really important for all of them to read such good comments.

To tell you the truth, I think it is one of the best note I've never read and I'm really proud of the staff.

I hope to see you again in our establishment.